[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any (actually) employed engineers here? I've got a question.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: eternal_chad.png (47KB, 1000x994px) Image search: [Google]
eternal_chad.png
47KB, 1000x994px
Any (actually) employed engineers here? I've got a question. A friend of mine did both his undergraduate and Masters degree at Carnegie Mellon in mechanical engineering. He did everything he was supposed to do, he managed to keep a 3.8 his whole time, joined relevant clubs, joined an engineering fraternity and made connections.

He did side projects and showcased them all over social media, taught as a teaching assisstant / adjust professor during grad school, but after he graduated, the dude was unemployed for over 2 years and just recently found a job working MINIMUM WAGE at an engineering firm.

What the fuck gives? Does MechE just not pay off? Most engineering students, even the mediocre ones, can expect a job upon graduation, usually anywhere from $60k - 160k depending on field an location, but this guy just got buttfucked. What can I do in my time as undergrad to avoid this type of situation?

Granted I realize his case is special, and that a majority of engineering students find jobs that pay well, but it seems MechE is having a really rough time lately.

Also, for reference, I'm doing EE with a focus in CPU architecture, sometimes called CompE or ECE. So hopefully I'll have better outlooks.
>>
File: comeonnow.jpg (20KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
comeonnow.jpg
20KB, 500x313px
answer me geeks
>>
>>18585337
No Chad posts on 4chan, no matter desperately the anons want to believe this.
>>
the STEM meme is about to end considering it was running its course for a while now
engineers leave the stage
next up IT and programming
>>
Do an internship so you have a job lined up after you graduate, op
>>
yeah i am
there are a lot of things that could have potentially impacted him
doing a masters right out of undergrad with zero work experience, not having any real internships, interviewing like a complete autist
he may just not be letting on that he refused to move to the Midwest where there are engineering jobs and could take what he could get that was nearby; there dont seem to be a lot of entry level engineering jobs on the east coast
>>
File: 1500799657331.gif (916KB, 245x285px) Image search: [Google]
1500799657331.gif
916KB, 245x285px
>>18585289
You didn't mention him getting any internships = no job after graduating.

>EE
Buy lube before your job search.

t. considered engineering and know engineers, but realized it's a cock suck and ran the other way
>>
>>18585476
>t. couldn't handle the program and has to find excuses
t. engineer that had $70k offer lined up before senior year started
>>
>>18585488
I left NE with a 3.9. I am very capable, and made more than 70K my first year after graduating so you hopefully understand how little I care. going to school for money is pretty stupid, so to be so excited you made 70K out is all I need to know to sum you up

see the gif in my post you replied to for my appropriate reaction
>>
>>18585542
your anal pain can be identified just by the fact that you responded, the additional LARPing doesn't help either
>>
>>18585572
>don't respond
>"he has no comeback and knows i'm right. haha, i won :)"
>respond
>"lol he responded he is obviously mad. haha, i won :)"

The fact that you responded to me in the first place because I said engineering is a cock suck, which it is according to actual engineers and not engineering students, shows your insecurity. Go away.
>>
Sounds to me his connections are shit if all he could manage is a minimum wage with a Master's. I only made minimum wage in my first two years of work, that was my first job.
>>
>>18585613
i responded because you implied finding EE work is difficult, but it's way easier to find a job than it is to get through the major, especially if you're a white male non-autist

engineering encompasses so many disciplines and forms of work you clearly have no clue about
undoubtedly you have some shitty anecdotal evidence from "other people" even though there are multiple firms in the US that offer unmatched starting pay for 40 hour work weeks, incredible healthcare packages, and some of the best pension/401k plans around

kys
>>
>>18585670
>that offer unmatched starting pay for 40 hour work weeks, incredible healthcare packages, and some of the best pension/401k plans around
You're too naive to think why that is.
>>
>>18585670
>i responded because you implied finding EE work is difficult

because it is you fucking biased moron. https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes172071.htm#st

how could you possibly argue this without being a biased moron, it's impossible.
>>
File: 14453526565790.jpg (7KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
14453526565790.jpg
7KB, 250x241px
>>18585488
>mentioned salary
Guess how I know you'll be a shitty engineer.
>>
>>18585705
Those numbers are downflated because EE is a field where people stick around for a long time, there's a lot of old people right on the verge of retirement but not quite there that are killing new hire opportunities
>>
>>18585720
if you knew how many people graduated with EE degrees every year vs. how many EE jobs exist, you wouldn't say that. I'm not staying in this thread to spoonfeed you easily researched information. I'm not letting your insecurity take my time away.
>>
>>18585705
>number employed nationally: 183k
>class of 2015 EE bachelor's graduates in the entirety of the United States: 11,385 (source: asee.org)
that means each year the combination of new EE positions from industry growth combined with replenishment from retiring baby boomers must equal roughly 6% for all new graduates to find work in an EE field
this does not count the portion that immediately go into postgrad or seek work elsewhere
how exactly are the stats on your side?

>>18585697
oh yeah? its not because highly skilled labor combined with expensive education requires high compensation packages in order to retain talent?
how about you explain it to me then?
>>
>>18585707
already working three years out of school, if I'm shitty no one's mentioned it, frogposter
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.