[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can I deal with an adult family member who's a little

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: index.jpg (7KB, 208x243px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
7KB, 208x243px
How can I deal with an adult family member who's a little dumb, but gets upset when she feels patronized?

I don't mean it in the "I'm a 200 IQ fourteen year old and everyone is beneath me" sort of way. She's genuinely dim. She has trouble following ideas longer than one sentence. I don't think she can actually learn anything new and retain it for longer than a few days.

Short of literally never talking to her outside of holidays, is there any way to coexist without triggering her anger? I think she's starting to believe that everyone hates her because she simply can't understand them.
>>
>>18583630
Tough situation the only thing you can do is talk. Try to level with them. But if they cant understand simple concepts its impossible. Like do they talk slow and say things that are just plain stupid? Are they legally retarded?

There is no way to convince them to accept that maybe they are dumb without them realizing it themselves and accepting it. I dont know your relationship to them.
>>
have you ever tried ignoring or pretending to be busy?
>>
>>18583638
>But if they cant understand simple concepts its impossible.
That pretty much hits the nail on the head. What stinks is that she's very persistent when she wants to be involved in something. She'll insist on an explanation, inevitably get confused by it and then become upset that she can't understand. And heaven forbid the other person gets frustrated or tries to gracefully shift her attention elsewhere.

I've tried leveling with her. She just takes it as a grave insult. I was thinking for a while that I could just play dumb too but then she gets mad no one is helping/explaining/etc. She's not disabled. Just dumb.

Thanks for the reply.
>>
>>18583642
Sure, but it's tough given that she's family when I brush off her questions. Plus there are just those times when she'll catch wind of me doing something and interject. Or things where we do have to cooperate--again, family--and I see her fucking up with major stupidity.

I'm sorry if this comes across like I'm looking for some magic bullet. It feels like a no-win situation. I feel wrong for upsetting family but also wrong if I were to distance myself from family.
>>
>>18583670
Yeah it feels hopeless in your situation. You want to help them but they can't even help themselves. Its best maybe not to try or just do your best. No one is going to blame you.
>>
I never understood how people with no mental handicaps or trauma can be dumb. Fucking read a book. Look shit up. Watch the news. It baffles me.
>>
>>18583791
You're confusing comprehension with knowledge. It sounds like that if she tried to read books, or look things up, or watch the news, that she wouldn't be able to understand. Some people have brains that aren't as quick as others. She's not slow enough to be considered handicapped, since handicaps are only really categorized if it gets in the way of her taking care of herself and holding a job. She's not that far gone, so she's slipped through the cracks.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.