[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /adv/ I live in Tennessee and am looking to purchase a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

Hello /adv/

I live in Tennessee and am looking to purchase a home. Thing is I don't want to fall into the mortgage meme. I don't mind paying for a house but in the last two years realstate here has sky rocketed in my area.

Anyway I was thinking of buying a plot of land, laying down a foundation and building a storage container house. I want a simple design nothing to fancy. Maybe something similar to pic.

How much would you estimage to build this?
>>
>>18577064

>nothing fancy
>>
>>18577064

also
>thinking /adv/ can estimate how much to build a house for you

first and foremost, just research on your own how much the land its self would cost in your area.

then take this to /DIY/ cuz they'll give you the best estimate, but you're going to want to add an extra 10% at least because shit always goes wrong when you dont know what you're doing.

not a bad investment though. building a house is cheaper than buying one, which is why people build them then sell them for a profit.
>>
>>18577064
Where do you live? I'm in Knoxville, and it's pretty expensive for the region here, but nothing compared to other states. Housing is way cheaper in the surrounding counties, and there are some pretty nice areas to be had for a very fair price.
>>
>>18577097
But to answer your question the glass alone will be like $30k unless you know how to do it yourself, plus windows and doors need replacing every 10-15 years.
>>
>>18577064
TN here too, in West TN. I currently rent an apartment, so no personal experience with buying or owning a home, but I have been looking into options. I considered buying a small plot of land and putting a decent house trailer on it, but I have been reluctant to go that route on account of the crazy ass stormy weather our region has been developing in the last decade or so. Whatever you do, make sure you end up with a sturdy home.
>>
>>18577064
1St research local builbing permits and connection fees to utilities- then septic (SEWAGE). The containers can be purchased for $5k to $15k.
>>
Your best bang for your buck is a trailer.. Spend the 30-50k then rent it when you wanna move out
>>
>>18577064
>I don't mind paying for a house but in the last two years realstate here has sky rocketed in my area
>Thing is I don't want to fall into the mortgage meme.

You best fall for it now while rates are low. I make $12.75/hr as a cook. I am closing on a house in 3-4 weeks. Locked in for 83k at 4.5% with good credit and 0 debt. Cash to close will a tad under 10k with 5% down. Total with taxes and insurance comes out for $575/month for 30 years. My city is gentrifying with prices going up 12% from last year. My parents were happy to get 7% on their loan back in the mid 90s. They knew of a time when rates were 13%+

>Anyway I was thinking of buying a plot of land, laying down a foundation and building a storage container house

That won't meet any code if you are anywhere but the boonies.

>>18577182
The utility tap ins will eat him alive. $5k for sewer, $2k for water where I live.
>>
>>18577250
Adding on

For some comparison $575/month won't get me anything other than a tiny bedbug infested studio apartment that bleeds heat in the ghetto. Oh and rent goes up every year.

>b-b-but maintenance!

Bitch please. Get /diy/ and anything outside of major insurance claims or major renovations is cheap. I have ~900sqft of living space with ~1800sqft total. HVAC system goes bad and I am out about $3k and 2 days of work to replace it with top of the line equipment. For $3500 and 2-3 days of work I can replace my roof with high quality materials.

That being said renting works well for people who know they will be moving long distances in the future. Of my 10k cash to close about $5500 goes to fees I can't recoup when I sell. Time is also a factor. It will be a bit over 4 months from looking at my first house to closing. I could be in an apartment in 2 weeks.
>>
you will pay way way more than just buying a cheap house
your pic is not cheap after land, labor, materials, and utilities

>the mortgage meme
what does this mean
mortgages allow you to leverage money to be put to better use elsewhere unless you have no money, in which case a mortgage is your only option if you want a house anyway
there are so many other reasons not to own a house
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.