[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do I feel the need to move out of my parent's home at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1500968767350.jpg (109KB, 853x1266px) Image search: [Google]
1500968767350.jpg
109KB, 853x1266px
Why do I feel the need to move out of my parent's home at the age of 22? I'm not much of a leech and pay for myself, but something about the idea of living with them makes me feel like a child. Everyone says it is the best financial advice to stay with your parents, but I really just want to move out. Is the economy in America really that bad, or is it just an excuse?
>>
>>18574139
Dude I'm your age and I suddenly feel exactly the same way...
>>
Bump.

>>18574144
I don't know how to explain it. Taking advantage of a situation like this just makes me feel sick to my stomach. I have money saved up, but I don't even spend it. The only thing I'd like to spend it on is a business, and I don't even know what business to start up.
>>
It's natural in the US culture. You desire that kind of independence and freedom that only comes from being out of your parents place.
I remember when I went away to college how liberating it felt to be able to bring a guy back to my place whenever I wanted, to make as much noise in my place as I wanted whenever I wanted knowing there was nobody else around to bother, not being nagged, etc. Feels nice.
However, you also have to be smart about it. If you're going to school and have a good amount of debt to your name, those minimal freedoms are nothing compared to the shackles of loans. Best to pay them off as fast as possible and accept the gift of free shit from your parents.

But, you do you. Do your own research, see how much an apartment goes for in your area, and how much you earn every month. If you think you can feasibly afford it, then go for it. Just make sure you account in your calculations for savings. If your average monthly spending is $800 a month, and you only earn $800 a month, you can't actually afford to move out, because you need to put something away for later and for emergencies.

Also before moving out, make sure you have at least 3 months worth of expenses in your bank account. Just in case you lose a job/hours, or your gas bill ends up being more than you thought, etc. You just want to avoid living paycheck to paycheck at all possible
>>
File: 9v35fvd6a09z.jpg (118KB, 1242x1358px) Image search: [Google]
9v35fvd6a09z.jpg
118KB, 1242x1358px
>>18574277
I earn about 1.3k a month and general apartment rent is about 600 a month. I did the math and I'd have about ~$100 in my savings a month. I also have zero debt but also zero credit at the mean time. Another thing to put out there is that I don't have any alcohol or drug abuse. I haven't bought either in about a couple months.

>Also before moving out, make sure you have at least 3 months worth of expenses in your bank account. Just in case you lose a job/hours, or your gas bill ends up being more than you thought, etc. You just want to avoid living paycheck to paycheck at all possible
I have more than enough for that. It's just working the courage to go through with it and being careful. Maybe I am just scared.
>>
>>18574294
>1.3k
I meant 1.1k.
>>
>>18574262
Are you educated?
>>
>>18574311
High school degree, have no interest in trades or a degree.
>>
>>18574294
>Zero credit
In that case you're likely gonna have to get your parents to cosign the lease, or you'll need a roommate to cosign the lease who does have credit.

Or go get yourself a credit card. Probably a good idea for you to do regardless. Treat it carefully, pretend it's a debit card in the sense that you never spend more than you have in your bank account, and pay off all charges immediately after. Look into ones that have good rewards, friend has one that gives cash back on gas, only uses it to buy gas. That will help you get started on credit. It'll grow once you do move out and pay your utilities and such on time consistently.

Also I'd change your tune on this >>18574314
Just because times are changing and it's already near impossible to survive off min wage and is not going to get any better in the near future. Also some apartments require you to have a stable job that makes a certain amount to apply for them, these are generally more upscale places though but in your future, you might find you don't wanna live in the shitty college apartments forever.
At least get some sort of trade or skill. Or take the complete and utter gamble of starting your own business despite knowing nothing about how to run a business and no training in running a business, and remember that most small businesses fail very quickly leaving the owners in massive debt. Even ones with college degrees in business.
>>
>>18574335
Thank you for responding.

>Or go get yourself a credit card. Probably a good idea for you to do regardless.
I plan on getting one Tuesday and spending it on small needs like gas, like your friend mentioned.

>Also I'd change your tune on this
Well, I'm not a big fan of being in debt over loans. I've tried college before, didn't know what I wanted to do, and bailed 2 semesters in. I've tried grants, nobody is willing to give me grants, just loans. I'm not entirely sure on what I want to do for a good portion of my life still. I have good experience with plumbing, but I dislike the idea of doing that daily. Maybe as a side job? I have a few connections, but I never went through with the idea. Sorry for blabbering.
>>
>>18574372
I totally understand, college isn't for everyone and that debt is pretty scary. I won't lie, I probably never would have taken on college if my parents weren't wealthy enough to have helped me out.

But you need something more than just a high school diploma that literally anyone can get to survive in this market. You don't even need to think about "What if I don't wanna do this every single day for the rest of my life?"
The point is to have SOMETHING to fall back on in a pinch whether you like it or not. A skill that not just literally anyone has, because when you and every other person on the face of the earth that has a GED go competing for the same jobs, you want to stand out.
>>
>>18574139
I hate how Thanos looks progressively worse in each movie he appears in. They should've kept his face the way it was at the end of the first avengers.
>>
I moved out at 22.
After having been a full blown NEET for 3 years after high school I finally got a job right after I turned 21 and though moving out had seemed far fetched after working for a little after a year an oppurtunity presented itself to me and I had to take it. I love my folks and I still feel terrible for being a leech all those years (plus my mom gave me her old car which I'm still using) but the feeling of freedom is great. I was saving a lot of money when I was still with my folks but I'd say the freedom of independence is well worth it.

There's something I always used to tell my sister when she complained about being treated like a kid despite turning 18: You're not truly free until you move out on your own.
I was 22 years old and was still treated like a child and seen as a child. My parents complained when I came home late. They didn't like if I drank on weekdays. My dad threatened to kick me out when my clothes smelled like weed. I didn't even want to know what they'd say if I ever brought a girl to my room one night, nevermind telling the girl we should head back to "my parents house".

I wanted to make my own rules and live my own life so I left. That was almostearnest ago, I'm 23 now. I'm renting a room at a friends house and it's not the best neighborhood and there's a bit of a pest problem but rent isn't too high and again independence just feels sweet, though I do plan on paying my parents back for my NEET years somehow.
>>
>>18574451
>I was 22 years old and was still treated like a child and seen as a child. My parents complained when I came home late. They didn't like if I drank on weekdays. My dad threatened to kick me out when my clothes smelled like weed. I didn't even want to know what they'd say if I ever brought a girl to my room one night, nevermind telling the girl we should head back to "my parents house".
OP here. Not to sound like a brat, but this is one of the main reasons why I want to move. A good portion of why. Do you mind if I ask how much you make a week? And is it full time or overtime?
>>
>>18574461
With a couple hours of overtime I make a little over $500 a week. Got bills and expenses but admittedly I manage to save money because I don't go out much or eat out too often. Haven't gone to college but I'm looking into getting into a trade. Really don't wanna go back to school but I can't shake the feeling that I probably should.

I realize that I sound like a brat the way I described my parents nagging me when I was with them but those are the only reasons I could think of right now. Besides the NEET thing I wouldn't say I'm a bad son. People say I'm calm and I don't really bring much trouble. When I drank at home it never got ridiculous and I always tried to avoid smoking weed around the house. Hell I rarely ever brought any friends over. I did my chores and helped my parents out with anything they needed. I just wanted my own space.
>>
>>18574506
what job do you have? where do you live??
>>
You could. Just plan accordingly and have at least 5k saved up.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.