[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much of my paycheck is acceptable to give for an apartment?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1487442731834.jpg (41KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1487442731834.jpg
41KB, 480x270px
How much of my paycheck is acceptable to give for an apartment?

I'm a college student about to move into my own apartment. I've had a well paying job (by my country's standards) for over a year now, but have been living in a dorm, where the rent plus expenses is 10% of my monthly pay.

Now that I've started to look for an apartment, I've realized that unless I want to live in a dump, I'll have to give about 30-40% of my paycheck for rent and expenses.

Is that acceptable? I make 1200€, current pay 120€ for dorm, and the apartments I'm looking at are 350-400€ per month. Am I being a jew, or is that a lot?
>>
>>18572508
Yeah, it's common for 30-40% and even higher of millennials' gross monthly to go to housing. I believe 30% and under are what boomers and established gen x'ers say, but it's not really feasible for many young people.
>>
>>18572541
So it's normal? My sister says that she'd never pay that much, but she's living in our parents' house, with no rent.
>>
1/3 of pay is normal for people who aren't impoverished
>>
About half my check goes into my apartment
>>
>>18572593
Where do you live? And how much would that be, if you don't mind sharing?
>>
>>18572597
I live in New Hampshire, we have a high property tax. And i only make $14 an hour.

My rent is $1200 or so, I just moved in. I have two roommates, so it's actually probably less than half now.
>>
30% is the recommended ceiling for being able to make a budget work, and it's a legit number. Ideally you want it much lower than that, too.

obviously the world is different now and this is harder and harder to do, so you're fucked if you don't get a roommate
>>
>>18572508
40 years ago the rule of thumb was 25%, and you might still be able to manage that in small inexpensive cities or by sharing. 33% is more realistic in larger cities, and 50% is not uncommon in major cities like New York and London
>>
>>18572508
>current pay 120€ for dorm, and the apartments I'm looking at are 350-400€ per month
I'm jealous. I'm stuck at home until I move because a decent apartment is almost three times that.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.