[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This may be too serious for /adv/, but I don't know what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1486173955573.jpg (9KB, 228x212px) Image search: [Google]
1486173955573.jpg
9KB, 228x212px
This may be too serious for /adv/, but I don't know what to do.

I'm in the US and I'm about to lose my health insurance. I'm covered until November under my father's private insurance but once that date rolls around, I'll be uninsured. I've applied for medicaid and was denied, I don't qualify for medicare, and I cannot afford an insurance plan. I have health issues that cannot be left untreated, and without insurance, I can't afford it.

I'm a full time student working on an undergrad and the thought of having to drop out and work for 7.25 and live off of food stamps horrifies me. I'm terrified of having to let my career go. I've worked too fucking hard and came too fucking far to have it taken from me.

My current plan right now is to speak to my doctors and stock up on as much medication as I can so I can make it to Christmas and complete the fall semester. After Christmas, I'm going to apply for SSI since you'll qualify for medicaid automatically if you're approved, but I'll have to lawyer up and fight it, which can take around 150 days and there's no guarantee that I'll be accepted. I'm also not sure if it's possible to receive SSI benefits while attending college full time. I'll only need SSI until I graduate and get a career going, but from what I understand, SSI is meant to be a permanent solution and that's not why I need it. I've already spoken to an attorney and he told me that I MIGHT have a case, but more information is needed so that's also up in the air.

I'm lost and I don't know what to do, /adv/. Any suggestions?
>>
Go onto your state's health marketplace website and look into your options. There is a lot of assistance out there outside of medicare. Also, Monday I would call whatever number is on the website. I had issues the first time I applied for it when I was turning 26. It said I didn't qualify for anything, but I was just trying too early and ended up on a plan that cost me like 20 a month. Good luck dude it's super frustrating.
>>
>>18571356

How early were you? I've went through the marketplace (which is how I found out that I don't qualify for medicaid) and I can't afford the current insurance options. Should I wait closer towards November and see what happens? The good news, atleast, is that the state I reside in doesn't slap you with a fine for not having insurance until a certain time has passed, so I won't have to worry about that atleast.

I know that there's free clinics with sliding scales, but I don't know anything about that. Honestly, I just need my medication, nothing more.
>>
>>18571333
>>18571333
Looks like the days of wine and roses are over, dude. Time for you to go get a fucking job like everyone else. Some Georgetown bitch needs her free birth control.

Seriously, you're 26 and still don't have an undergrad? What have you done with your life?
>>
>>18571377
I would call to at least ease your mind. It was a few years back, but if I remember correctly I had to do it like late January (I turned 26 in mid february). Up until that time in January, it told me I had to pay like 200+ a month with no assistance.
>>
>>18571392

I'm not looking for a sympathetic ear, but I've been homeless and I'm disabled. Not everyone has access to great opportunities.

>>18571393

That's what I'm going to do. I haven't made a phone call but that's a great suggestion. Thanks man.
>>
>>18571429
Yeah dude no worries, I went through the same freak out.
>>
>>18571333
So you are in college and over the age of 25? Or was it 26 when you get booted off your parent's plan? Either way, it's your fault that you didn't take this into consideration when going. I would spend what time you have left attempting to get a job - any job, with enough hours to give you insurance.

Another alternative is to join up with the armed forces, presuming you can qualify with your health conditions. Yeah, you give up a few years of your life, but then you get on the VA and have insurance the rest of your life.
>>
>>18571333
Move to Canada. Its quite nice up here.
>>
>>18571429
>I'm disabled
if you're disabled then why were you denied medicare and medicaid
>>
>>18571392
OP's sob story isn't really relevant here (and I appreciate his restraint in not posting it, seriously, I do) but what the fuck kind of post is this? Shitty life circumstances keep plenty of smart, hardworking people from going to college for several years out of high school. You sound like one sheltered motherfucker.
>>
>>18571996
By disabled he probably means he's morbidly obese and so the health companies are noping the fuck out.
>>
>>18572036
more likely "self diagnosed autism"
>>
>>18571333
Move out of the 3rd world shithole that is the USA
Problem solved
>>
>>18571333
1. Doublecheck your father's insurance. Most plans cover you until a certain age OR as long as you're a student, whichever is later.

2. Check your college's student health plan, which may cover some of your costs.

3. Get into Obamacare while it's still there.

4. Get a job with a health plan
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.