[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm afraid because if I don't have my financial aid,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Confused-Pepe.jpg (21KB, 412x351px) Image search: [Google]
Confused-Pepe.jpg
21KB, 412x351px
I'm afraid because if I don't have my financial aid, I'm...ruined. Well. There's a lot to it.

So, 1 quarter of college I fucked up because of some extenuating circumstances in my own life. I've been cleaning the shit on the bed during this summer by taking classes (I only can can take 4). Unfortunately a small error showed up on the inevitable financial aid ineligibilty forms: that I took only 7 classes, not 8. I swear I looked at my online transcript and discovered something different. Units for 8 classes. I can only take 4 classes this summer, so 7 classes won't cut it.

I don't know if some sort of....writing between the lines - like the class just isn't the "right" kind or some bullshit like that - fucking things up, or if it's really just a technical issue. One of the classes I had to take as an incomplete and only fixed late Spring quarter. I just saw the ineligibility notice yesterday. Shouldn't they have known about the change from incomplete to the A?

And this whole thing is causing me a lot of anxiety. Sure, I want to go to school, but it's really about my mom.
She wants me to graduate--she put a lot of stock into it. Without her, a part of me would take this in stride and try again next year. But, I already took TWO gap years. My mom wasn't against it at the time. However, now it's different. I'm older and I wouldn't be able to get a job in my field yet. She'd be disappointed as fuck and crushed.

In fact, I'd probably drop everything and just join the military this fall if I couldn't go to school. Even if it's stupid.. At least then I'd be somewhere and making enough to help my mom and brothers, and maybe my mom would be proud--I could tell her that it would pay off the rest of my schooling, too, and that's my logic for doing it...yeah. I almost feel like lying to my mom about what happened.

I can only speak to the office on Monday. I want some advice aside from that. Anything, really, because I'm on the verge of breaking down.
>>
Sounds like you have two options:

1) Go military/ROTC. I live in an area with a military base, and had a family member do it. honestly, while I'm 99% sure it sucks, the perks afterwards can be awesome. Where I work now, our janitor who gets paid like mininmum wage uses that plus his pension and is financially set for life.

2) student loans. If you're going into something that has any financial potential (basically anything but art history or "liberal arts"), you shouldn't worry. Hell, go into teaching and you get loan deferment/forgiveness.

2.5) Drop out and disappoint your family. Don't do this.
>>
>>18567480

and by "any financial potential" I am not talking about just STEM. I'm a burned out engineer. There are many other careers that can both provide more intrinsic validation, and still pay a reasonable enough salary to get your loans paid off dude.

You may or may not have to consider moving after college to achieve this. If your extenuating circumstances are bad enough, you might already be thinking this. It's really not a huge life changing thing, to be honest.
>>
>>18567480
>>18567527
Unfortunately I'm an art student. I do commissions/have a small business with it, make 300$ a week so far, and plan to expand into web/programming design and beyond, but I don't have the skill yet to go full professional. It's more of a side thing now. I can't really justify taking out loans for this--especially because I get the inkling I can actually teach myself some of these things.

The financial aid paid off almost everything and my own earnings helped a lot as well. I think the ineligibility may be easily rescinded in a year so it wouldn't really be *dropping out*, but even so I'd be 23 then. Maybe I can just tell my mom that next year I'd have to take out more loans, so I decided to go with the military to pay them off. Stupid, but she'd buy it.

Anyways, thanks for not shooting down my idea of joining the military. It is a little worrying because I don't know if I'd have enough time for myself--i.e., what if I don't have time to maintain my side art thing, or can't practice? I don't know what to think. It's like signing my youth away. Then again, it must be way better than just another stupid minimum wage job.
>>
>>18567688
Yeah, I'm 28 and am going to community college to jump into a new career by 30-31 where I'm looking at a 50% paycut, and by probably 35'ish I'll be back up to where I'm at now in terms of salary. And the 50+ year olds I know tell me I'm young and to go for it. So, wasted youth? Shit, the old people I hang out with know more innuendos than me.

And $1200/wk is pretty decent money for a side business. Not enough to live solo on probably, but even an art student is better than art history where you're looking for what, exclusively art museum jobs after graduation? Look into your area and see if there are any graphic design/advertising/etc firms around you can join with locally. If not, maybe move. Or before that, pick up some other job - bartending, waitering, something with a different skillset. Chat up people and, I hate the fucking term that was drilled into me, but "network". People you encounter may lead you into finding better jobs. And if you suck and get fired, who cares? Means you get another interview to practice. At least for now you've got parents to keep you up in a home if shit hits the fan, at least partially.

On the military, yeah you're probably not going to have much time to commit to art while you're in, at least during training and I'd assume deployments. Not sure how ti works these days but I'm assuming they do take on artsy people for press photos and whatnot though. But even then you'll probably get ideas if you google 'military artist'. And it may also open up alternative career paths for you anyway.
>>
>>18567433
You're fucking retarded if you're making such a big deal out of art college.

If you were pursing something better, I would advise staying in school no matter what.

Since it's art, go to the military, at least it'll make a man out of you and you'll be able to use your veteran status to get the best job at Starbucks.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.