[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Long story short, I've been invited to enter a PhD program

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

File: NSA.jpg (14KB, 226x223px) Image search: [Google]
NSA.jpg
14KB, 226x223px
Long story short, I've been invited to enter a PhD program (paid $34k yr, free tuition/books, extra ~10k from summer work, but will have associated expenses) that feeds into the intelligence community; specifically the NSA, but I have the opportunity to go elsewhere if there is a good fit.

Trouble is, I'll have to leave a safe $75k/yr job and I have a family, so I'll have to support 3 or 4 kids and a wife on half salary and work my ass off for three years.

Kicker: I can take a shorter, 18 month program for an M.S. instead with the same terms. Just no PhD.

I *want* to take the PhD option, because it'll qualify me for eventual senior leadership positions, earn me higher pay, and it appeals to my ego; it'll be my second doctorate. And it's only 18 extra months.

But it's more time in relative poverty, which my family has already had to weather in the past, and we'll have to move again, twice: once to the school, and again at least once afterward to work. My oldest kid will be 16 by the time I'm done, and will not have lived in one place more than 3 years for his entire life.

Do I follow my ambitions, or settle for the sake of easier family life?
>>
>>18564183
Shit man, if you didn't have a family that's the dream opportunity right there!
>>
>>18564183
You don't need two fucking doctorates.
>>
>>18564195
>Shit man, if you didn't have a family that's the dream opportunity right there!

Exactly...

>>You don't need two fucking doctorates.

That's true. But I know a man who has (almost) the same doctorates I'll be getting, and he's a multimillionaire. So...
>>
>>18564183
>My oldest kid will be 16 by the time I'm done, and will not have lived in one place more than 3 years for his entire life.
They definitely won't love you for it. Stable environments are best for childhood development, shooting back and forth from one end of the country, never really making any friends that last for longer than a few years, having no meaningful peers besides your siblings... It's a rough life.
>>
>>18564183
>mfw you go on public assistance
>mfw I pay for your kids' food while you go back to school
>mfw you assist the NSA on spying on me
>mfw you do all of this just to have a second PhD

8^D
>>
>>18564225
He's done ok, so far. He's personable and good looking, which helps. Never has trouble making new friends. But yeah, dislocation during adolescence can suck. Happened to me.
>>
>>18564237
>mfw you think the only thing the NSA does is spy on you
stay ignorant, you probably don't even pay enough in taxes to be worth responding to.
>>
>>18564261
I paid 22K in taxes last year, FML

And I know they do other things, but they definitely do spy on US citizens and you definitely would be either directly or indirectly supporting it, while taking my tax money to live out your vainglorious dreams.
>>
>>18564237

you'd rather your tax dollars be spent on lazy fuckoffs who just milk the system because it's easy, not because it's temporarily necessary to achieve a worthier goal?

k
>>
>>18564183
just do it, all the way man, yolo
>>
>>18564267
>while taking my tax money

1, that wasn't OP. I am.
2, I'm not taking a thing. What, am I coming to your home and robbing you? Extorting you? Would you somehow have to pay less if I forwent this opportunity? You don't even know what state this would be in, or if I would need any public assistance at all.

Why are you bitching?
>>
You gotta risk it to get the biscuit.
I just quit my cushy job to pursue a masters.
>>
>>18564278
Do you have a family?
>>
>>18564274

Because he's a republicunt that bitches about "dem libruls who want free stuff!" while expecting that the massive society that enables his wealth costs nothing to keep running.
>>
>>18564267
not the guy you're responding to but I'd rather sacrifice some privacy in exchange for not dealing with all of the terrorist shit happening in the UK. Back in 2013 they were at something like 55 terrorist plans stopped and arrested. Of course one or two will slip through but ~50 of them caught 4 years ago and in exchange someone who sent an email saying "Man I really bombed that test last night, I feel like blowing up a subway!" gets flagged and then nothing comes of it because it was obviously just banter is absolutely worth it.
>>
>>18564183
You can do this shit later. I believe you should give your kids a better life while they're still young.
Teen years can only happen once and living them nicely and with the prescence of your parents is very important.
If you got invited to this now, you can get invited to this later.
>>
>>18564268
>what is a false dilemma
Your first PhD must not be in anything logic related.

I don't want it to go to either, though I acknowledge that moochers are a part of all civilizations. It's a price you pay for society, unfortunately. I'd personally rather keep the money that would go to your family and keep it for mine.
>>
>>18564241
Friends become differently important as you get older though. Your connection with the friends you make as a young kid isn't particularly deep. But the connections you make once you hit your teenage years are far more meaningful for your life and development.

Obviously this is a great opportunity and you shouldn't dismiss it out of hand, but when you have kids and a family your own personal ambitions are not the most important thing in your life anymore.
>>
>>18564284
Sorry, it appears I mistook the previous responder for OP. >>18564274
>>
>>18564284
So your answer is, "no," but you refuse to say so plainly. Then you posed about being super smart and logical, even though your initial post was completely illogical and rested entirely on convenient assumptions, one of which you already admitted was false.

Very impressive.
>>
>>18564183

I say go for it. It's a tactical decision, that involves some sacrifices. You may have to take some manoeuvres that cause some casualties, in order to win the battle.

In this case it's stability of environment for your kids. But. Consider this: it's only 3 years. Given, the oldest may have had little staticity by the time it's done, but i would think after you're finished, the younger ones can still have a shot.

In general, Sure it's rough, but you turned out alright, right?

I daresay the kids will appreciate it when you're able to financially support them a lot more in their late teens-20's. I'm 24 and my family was poor as fuck throughout my childhood, ending when i was 16. But nowadays i can barely remember it.

I'd say that whatever you choose, that you absolutely should make it a point to spend regular time with your kids; be a part of their lives and don't neglect them psychologically. That shit is more important than anything. It'd be even more important in the cases where you do go for the education - as a counteracting factor to the displacement.
>>
>>18564281
Identifying potential terrorists is not the problem in the UK. One of the recent attackers was literally on a television program called "The Jihadi Next Door." They have a massive surveillance state, they would just rather focus on sending people to prison for Islamophobic internet comments than terrorism.
>>
>>18564313
Which assumption did I admit was false exactly?
>>
>>18564315
>That shit is more important than anything. It'd be even more important in the cases where you do go for the education - as a counteracting factor to the displacement.

I think that's a good point. In this scenario, my wife will not work and home-school, along with some civic involvement (team sports, etc.). They won't get shunted off to new schools every couple of years, having to be fresh outsiders over and over and fresh meat for the local predators.

As the resident former athlete/soldier and engineer, I'll take point with science, math, and sports. So I'll be directly involved, often.
>>
>>18564330
Yeah, every time there's an attack, the guy was already on a watch list. The government seems more afraid of offending our exploding friends than of them exploding.
>>
>>18564331
None. Misread this:
>And I know they do other things, but they definitely do spy on US citizens
>>
have you tried making a list of the pros and cons and asking the kids what they think? if they would mind moving a few times while you get all set?
>>
>>18564356
Two of them are too young to ask anything meaningful. The oldest would have an opinion, but I'm not going to let a child make the call. That's silly.

That's like something my dad said.

>'<my daughter> might want to take dance lessons or something when she's older and you won't be able to afford things like that in this program.'

'I'm not making a major life decision based on dance lessons.'
>>
This should be a discussion with your wife and kids. If it's a no then compromise.
>>
>>18564369
the kid doesn't have to make the call but you should take his opinion into consideration. After all, as a parent it's your responsibility to make a better life for your child than you had.
>>
And I know a gentleman that is literally one of the 10 richest men in Germany, and he doesn't have any doctorates. What is your point?

And you aren't going to become a multimillionaire working for the NSA.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.