[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /adv/ I've come across a moral problem, my girlfriend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

Hey /adv/ I've come across a moral problem, my girlfriend and I went to a concert a few days ago and in short she lost my phone and hasn't offered to help pay for a new one. In the end I had to shell out ~$500 to pay off my lost phone and "upgrade" to a new one. Should she have helped me with the cost of getting a new phone since she lost it? Or should I just forget about it ever happened?

On one hand it was my fault for letting her hold onto my phone, if it was a toddler or a kid and they damaged, lost or similar it would be all on me for letting them hold it.

On the other hand, she's not a toddler or a kid, but my girlfriend and hasn't offered to help me replace it at all even though she lost it.

Thoughts?
>>
>>18562995
What did she do after loosing your phone?
Also how long are you two together?
>>
>>18562995
>hasn't offered to help me replace it at all even though she lost it.
Did you ask?
>>
No idea but just get a Chinkphone for 140$ in that case, they do everything you need perfectly fine unless you want a DSLR replacement. That way you don't have to make such a big deal out of it.
>>
>>18562995

why was she using your phone?
>>
You should probably pay HER for the privilege of dating her
>>
File: IMG_2104.jpg (237KB, 1800x614px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2104.jpg
237KB, 1800x614px
Take her ass to Red Lobster
>>
>>18562995
If I was her, I would have offered.

How much do $500 impact your budget and how much do they impact her? If she had to starve to pay you back, I wouldn't ask. Unless you have to starve, too - in that case, I'd ask if she paid half.
>>
>>18562998
We've been together for a year and a half at this point
>>
>>18563002
No, because she didn't offer. She has more money than I do (wealthy family) but I didn't want to fight about it. I didn't want to get in a fight on top of having my phone stolen.
>>
>>18563026
It ate up a good portion of the money I was saving for the fall semester.
>>
>>18563033
>having my phone stolen.
Did your phone got stolen or she lost it?
>>
>>18563029
>She has more money than I do (wealthy family) but I didn't want to fight about it

I really don't know what I would say. Does she know how much of an impact did it have as you mention in this post >>18563035?

What did she tell you regarding the loss of your phone?
>>
>>18563040
Both, she dropped it, didn't notice, and it was stolen before I could find it
>>
Break up. You obviously love your iPhone more.
>>
>>18563042
Yeah she knows I'm poor and working to pay for my bills and college. I was saving up so I could focus on studying and not worry so much about money this fall.
>>
>>18563051
>iPhone
Not my cup of tea. I obviously don't want to even get in a fight over this.
>>
>>18563003
I had a contract on the lost phone, monthly payments plus service. I had to pay that off, then "upgrade" to a new one, which I had to pay sales tax and buy a screen protector and case for. It would have cost more getting a new phone and service. Right now I'm back to paying the usual but out of $500 and have a new phone.
>>
>>18562995
>>18563033
I think if you are going to argue what she technically owes you, it would be part of the amount (two thirds or something) for various reasons. You chose to entrust it to her, you now have a newer phone with a longer life span, and while dropping it is rather unfortunate it's not like she was utterly careless leaving it somewhere.

Having said that, if she has enough money that this wouldn't make a dent in her budget I think it is very telling that she didn't offer to buy you a new one or even split the cost. Most normal people fucking loathe feeling like they fucked something up for a person they're very fond of. It is quite disturbing that she doesn't feel responsibility here.
>>
>>18563052
You could just tell her the impact it had on your financial programming, without trying to be passive-aggressive or something.

You obviously aren't getting any money, you could at least let her know about your discontent or something, without it resulting in a fight.

But I'd really consider her lack of responsibility (doesn't want to unfuck a situation she fucked) as a red flag.

You know best OP, my advice isn't prolly the best, but that's my two cents.
>>
>>18563033
>I didn't tell her my feelings and now I'm mad she wasn't able to magically know
Your gf isn't a psychic, if you want her to pay for your new phone then tell her.
>>
>>18563074
I agree with this anon. Maybe just bring up that you have to spend a little less because those $500 had a rather big impact on your financial programming.

Did she acknowledge that it is her fault if the phone got lost?
>>
>>18563071
>>18563074
I don't think she owes me, but I did find it odd that she didn't even offer to help me get a new one. She knows my situation very well.
>>
>>18563088
She knows, and apologized for losing it but that was it.
>>
>>18563104
She doesn't "owe you". It's just the fact that, from what I've read, doesn't really seem to acknowledge her responsibility, I mean, she could offer to help with your financial situation by partially funding this purchase or something.

If I had broken something that belonged to my partner I'd feel guilty and I'd want to make up to them, and the most straight forward way would be to fix it, if possible, or help them buy a new one if I had the money to, which she has.

Be aware that this is my point of view, not something that should be taken as a piece of advice.

As I said, you know the best, we can't assess the situation better than you can do.
>>
>>18562995
>woman
>not a child
>expected to take responsibility for her mistakes
>expected to consider other people

Did I stumble into some sort of alternate universe?
>>
>>18563107
An apology isn't enough. She lost your phone. She owes you a phone. The fact that she didn't offer to pay speaks volumes about her character.
>>
She should obviously pay you the full cost of a new phone if she had any decency. SHE LOST IT. I can't believe there's any debate on this. What kind of person doesn't even offer to pay? I've had girlfriends lose/break two of my phones, and both paid for new ones on the spot. I was driving a girlfriend's car once and it got a massive ding on the door while I was driving it, and I went and got it fixed like the next day.
>>
>>18562995

If it were me I would of been satisfied with my girlfriend at least offering to help pay but I would ultimately fork it over myself because I make a lot more money than she does and it would be an intensely bigger financial burden for her to replace it than for me. Dropping $500 for me is not a big deal as where for her, due to her being in school, $500 would set her back months. I'd much rather shoulder that burden then force her to do it because we're in a relationship and I know she'd do it for me.

I think context is really important in this situation because if she made a lot more money and I made less my opinion would be different. It would also really depend on how the phone was lost; whether or not she made a concerted effort to find it or whether she was acting irresponsibly or whether it was just an honest mistake that anyone could of made. Obviously I believe she could of made more of an effort to assist with this but I have a hard time saying that without the proper context to explain why. Ultimately, validating you as the "right" one in this situation doesn't solve the problem, it only gives you ammunition to use against her which is the opposite of what the goal should be in a relationship.

I think your thoughts come from a place of feeling a little betrayed or disrespected and is less about the money than it is about your girlfriend's attitude about the situation. I highly suggest sitting her down and telling her how this whole thing made you feel and trying to work it out with her instead of coming to a website for validation from a bunch of people who genuinely despise women regardless of context.

Go talk to her.
>>
She should've at least offered to pay for half of it or something. It's the least she could do.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.