[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm registering for classes at a local community college

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: college-pennant.png (899KB, 1200x750px) Image search: [Google]
college-pennant.png
899KB, 1200x750px
I'm registering for classes at a local community college and due to my score on their placement test, I'm qualified to take an honors English course. I would eventually like to transfer to a university (preferably U of M), so should I take the honors English course because it will look better on my transcript or should I take regular English because I may be able to get an A with ease?
>>
>>18561089
Depends on what degree you're going for. If it's related to English, then it will help. Otherwise, its just an elective, and nobody cares.

Also, if you're going for an English degree, you're an idiot.
>>
>>18561130
Well, I'm not 100% sure what I want to go for but I figured I may as well aim for an engineering degree in order to make the biggest ROI. I've considered becoming a secondary teacher before but I have not heard good things about the pay in that field.
>>
>>18561144
>I'm not sure what I want to go for.
Then don't go until you are.
>>
>>18561148
I know it probably sounds silly but I know I need to go to college. Right now I'm just getting my general classes out of the way and I'd like to take some electives to help figure out what I want to do.
>>
>>18561152
You don't need to go to college. There are plenty of jobs that don't require a degree, and pay well.

Kids exiting high school thinking that they need to go tens of thousands of dollars in debt immediately, just to have a shot at the middle class, is the greatest lie perpetrated today.

I'm an electrician, and make over 90k per year in a town that has rent averaging 400/month.
>>
>>18561161
I understand that. I'm trying to minimize my debt by going to a community college. And while I respect trades, I really don't think it's for me. I'm good with my hands but I'd rather not do something like that for the rest of my life.
>>
>>18561179
What do you think engineering involves?
>>
>>18561185
There's a big difference between being an engineer and being an electrician.
>>
>>18561188
There's also a big difference between being an electrician and being a plumber. That said, if you think you aren't going to be working with your hands as an engineer, you're a fool.
>>
>>18561193
I didn't mean I'd rather not work with my hands, I worded that poorly, sorry. I meant I'd rather not be doing the job of a tradesman. Not because I think I'm too good for it or something, but I've always been more interested in the design aspect of things.
>>
>>18561196
I really recommend that you contact a local business that employs engineers, and ask if it would be possible to shadow one for a day. I don't think you know what engineers do, because the overwhelming majority aren't involved in the design aspect of things, they are just involved in making the design work practically in reality.

I'm not saying this to discourage you from engineering, but you should take a good look at what engineering entails before you dedicate your education to it, thinking its going to be something that its not.
>>
>>18561202
I mean I'm willing to admit, my knowledge of most career fields is shallow. But really what it comes down to for me at least is whether I want to do something that I think I would enjoy or do something that will earn me a lot of money. Also, as far as making designs work practically in reality, that doesn't sound bad at all to me. I really enjoy solving problems.
>>
>>18561210
Don't go for something you would enjoy. Go for the best paying job you can stand doing for 50 years. Fun is for when you are off the clock. If you are doing something you enjoy when you are on the clock, you'll soon come to hate it.
>>
>>18561233
Well, to me it seems like engineering would be the highest paying field that I could stand. Maybe programming but I don't know that's what I want to do for the rest of my life.
>>
>>18561240
Which is why I suggested job shadowing.

Also, check out the Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) from the Bureau of Labor Statistics website (bls.gov). It will tell you what the median wage is (what the average person will earn halfway through their career), as well as the growth rate of the job you're looking at.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.