[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>work in house video production for a university >get told

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: iHmhQc6.png (525KB, 433x680px) Image search: [Google]
iHmhQc6.png
525KB, 433x680px
>work in house video production for a university
>get told my shoots take too long and I bring too much equipment
>supervisor sends me a series of videos he wants to emulate
>asks the school how they did it
>full shoot with lights, boom pole, cue cards, and rehearsals

Why does nobody take me seriously or take me at my word? How do I become a FORCE that people LISTEN to, and not QUESTION?
>>
You will never not be questioned. I testified in court as an expert witness last week and the defense attempted to discredit me on the stand. Obviously. It doesn't matter who you are.

If you know your shit, be firm and polite about it. Do your job well but don't be afraid to advocate for yourself. That's all there is to do.
>>
>>18557239

>why does nobody take me seriously

because its at a university. doesn't matter if you're a worker. their film students. they think they know everything and they are the chosen artist who is going to change the way people watch movies and you're just some guy who got stuck working at a university.

>how do i become a force that people listen to, and not question?

by using your leverage against them. people don't question the big buff guy because they worry he will beat them up. people do not question the big boss because he will fire them. They don't question a teacher (traditionally) because the teacher will give them a bad grade.

if you don't have power why would anyone be afraid to question you?
>>
>>18557259
>I testified in court as an expert witness last week and the defense attempted to discredit me on the stand.
Of course they did, it's their job. Did you actually go into court as an expert witness and expect everyone to just accept what you're saying?
>>
Yeah hate this too. I was hired because I am an expert in the field which my boss needs in order to bring his business from ok/average to great/excellent. I've spent 6 months doing pointless donkey work which could have been done by anybody while having suggestions second guessed and argued with by him on the most lay and superficial level limited by his understanding. It has only been in the last few months that he has started to trust me enough to let me do what he hired me for. Even now he still argues, nit picks, plays devils advocate and makes me feel undermined and insulted at least once a week.

Part of me, great I've developed trust, shown diplomacy, managed to get my own thing going on. These are the struggles of anybody getting started out. Another part of me is like I'm such an idiot, why did I allow myself to become institutionalised to his low standard and why didn't I hold out or leave and find a truly excellent company which would have been better for my motivation and career progression by now.

It is literally like .. blah blah minor process change result in efficiency improvement but there fluctuation in variable cost results how would you like these accounted? Well if variable cost scales with efficiency then the ratio is fixed yes? No? sometimes it is 1:1, sometimes increased yield brings it beyond, sometimes yield has been very low due to variable process now corrected and cost looks higher, but profile is accurate. Oh just change profile to match what historically has been produced then it is correct and cost is the same? Uhh that isn't how it works? If I do that you are accepting lower yield and thus efficiency on that line? Sometimes the most important thing is quality not efficiency. Uhh yes, of course, but your quality currently suffers as it is always off profile? Well how have we managed to do so well before this was noticed? Uhh, great, but we can do better? Let me think about it. I'm concerned you are trying to change the quality.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.