[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I overcome shame? Should I overcome it? I've started

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: hicks_29.jpg (26KB, 393x371px) Image search: [Google]
hicks_29.jpg
26KB, 393x371px
How do I overcome shame? Should I overcome it?

I've started considering recently that being able to "ride out" or "get over" shameful things you've done in life isn't a sign of strength but of weakness.

I myself haven't done anything illegal, but I've done very embarrassing things in the past when taking my anger and frustration out on people who didn't deserve it (i.e. people I often didn't know) by criticizing or mocking them. I feel such intense shame now, even though they probably don't know it was me, that I feel like the best thing for me to do is never post on the internet again and instead atone for my stupidity and past malice by living a life of humble subservience or something.

Do you know what I'm getting at? I feel like I'm this terrible person and I can't live with the idea that I can't right past wrongs, especially when they have harmed others or harmed myself in a way that can't be repaired.

Does anyone relate to what I'm saying? Please post if so.

Thank you.
>>
>>18555533
Don't be a dick then.
>>
>>18555533
It's good OP that you are able to self-analyse yourself and practice some common sense humility that lacks for many in this world, but there is no good in beating yourself up over it.

I used to do this. From ages 16-19, I was depressed, angsty and hated myself because I quit some afterschool club where there was a young girl that I only later realised might have been into me, since she random kissed me on the cheek once and I was the only guy in that class. I hated myself for quitting that club and never ending up in relationship with her. I listened to sad music and vividly imagined me still back in that tiny arts/crafts club, laughing with her and complimenting her taste in music or some corny stuff like that.

Of course, I know what you are thinking, OP, and yes, I have done worse shit in my life too. I once dated a girl, and when we were making out, she slipped on ice, and I was laughing at that instead of helping her up, and that creeped her out and she never contacted me again. Even more later on, I've done shit like where I was really drunk on a bus once and stared at some old lady (some uncontrollable behavior) and later bus driver yelled at me for smelling from alcohol and wanted to kick me out in the next stop. There's some more, but leave it at that.

I've not felt actually much regret at the later ones, because the adolescent regrets were so fucking intense that my ability to fuss over later stuff has diminished.

What I am getting at, is that you should acknowledge that you were in the wrong and genuinely feel sorry for the people who had to put up with this, but don't beat yourself up forever. Just learn from the mistake and don't repeat it.
>>
>>18555533
Check em
>>
I relate OP, though I rarely ever wronged other people or anything and usually I feel the situation is redeemed with an apology or other reparation when I have.

But I for the life of me cannot get over embarrassing myself. There are times I lay awake at night cringing and hating myself over incidents that happened a decade ago when I was a child.
Some things even as minor as "one time I accidentally turned the wrong way onto an exit ramp thinking it was the outer road and had to do an awkward 3 point turn to get back to the road" I just cannot stop beating myself up over even the most minor shit like that.
>>
>>18555533
>I feel like I'm this terrible person and I can't live with the idea that I can't right past wrongs
When I was 13 I had a srs relationship with a girl for 3 years, it tore me up when we broke up and I did some stupid shit. We matched on tinder a few months ago and we caught up, she didn't remember a single one of the bad things I did to her, only I did. She was instead focused on the bad things she did to me.
tl;dr, everyone is focused on themselves, don't sweat it OP. Apologize and move on if you can, otherwise make peace with it and don't let it happen again.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.