[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /adv/, I started a new job about a month ago. I work on the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: help.gif (456KB, 480x361px) Image search: [Google]
help.gif
456KB, 480x361px
Hi /adv/,

I started a new job about a month ago. I work on the machines at a drug-testing facility, but I have a weak background in chemistry and absolutely zero experience working in a lab. I was very upfront about this in my interview, because I originally applied for a position that didn't require any of that stuff. However, my boss said they needed a lab tech more than another accessioner (the job I applied for), so she'd take a chance with me because I'm a great student and she knows that my friend in IT is a competent person.

I'm learning a lot every day, and I've definitely made huge improvements since starting, but a slew of minor fuck-ups, plus an extra-medium fuck-up today, have me very anxious. This has all been exacerbated by the fact that people usually aren't very chatty, so I have virtually no concept of what anybody thinks of me, either personally or professionally. This even includes the girl training me. Most of the time she's very helpful and even a bit friendly, but when I make mistakes, she seems to get really frustrated with me, and that's what sticks in my mind. It makes me feel like she and everybody else at the lab think I'm a nuisance and a total waste of time. This sucks because it's my first job out of college, and I actually like it a lot.

I'd like to ask her what she thinks of my performance so far, and whether she thinks that I'm improving quickly enough. In fact, I've been thinking about doing it every night for a week now. I still haven't gotten around to it though, because my confidence vanishes as soon as I walk into work. I worry that she might tell me that I'm a piece of shit or that she might find my question too forward, or that she might lie to spare my feelings. While I'm at work, I'm perpetually embarrassed, frustrated, and scared, so much so that I'm afraid to talk to anybody about it. I don't know what to do.

If you guys have any advice or similar experiences that you could toss my way, I'd appreciate it.
>>
File: 1474232402655.gif (495KB, 360x464px) Image search: [Google]
1474232402655.gif
495KB, 360x464px
>>18552935
bump
>>
Just keep faking it, fuck what anyone thinks as long as you get those sweet checks. Also put it on your resume.
>>
>>18552935
you just have to stop fucking up. I mean i know it sounds easy, but just make sure you are trying your best.
it is ok to make mistakes, it is part of the learning process. but if you keep making the same mistakes over and over.... you aren't learning.
I've trained a lot of newcomers in the various jobs I've had and I understand that these trainees are still learning. It sounds like your trainer isn't a POS so you should be able to learn a lot from her. The best thing you can ask her is for her to clearly state your mistakes. that way you know what to work on.
>>
>>18553131
I feel like I'm actually learning things and improving. My problem is that I have no idea whether the girl training me feels the same way. After my medium-tier fuck-up today, I worry that she's not going to think so. It happened because it was a novel situation that I wasn't sure how to handle: I had a 50/50 shot to get it right, and I got it wrong. I'll never do it again, and I'm now cringing that I made the choice I made, which makes me even more nervous about talking to her.
>>
File: rainy days.gif (51KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
rainy days.gif
51KB, 500x376px
>>18552935
last bompu
>>
>>18552935
I had a job at an animal shelter and felt like this.

It got to me so much that I was beginning to have some depression. I left early one day and never went back.
>>
>>18552935
Sounds like you're doing fine.

Don't ask the girl though, ask your boss/supervisor. It is of zero importance what the girl training you thinks, what matters is what she tells the boss. And don't make it about "being good enough". but just ask a general review. Don't bring up stuff yourself.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.