[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I grew up spending almost all of my free time on the computer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: 1385715713774.gif (2MB, 275x275px) Image search: [Google]
1385715713774.gif
2MB, 275x275px
I grew up spending almost all of my free time on the computer either playing video games, browsing 4chan or watching youtube videos. I have had basically zero motivation, inspiration, or interest in any kind of career or job. Ive been living at home my whole life, im 24 now.

I went to community college for like 4-5 years just bullshitting random classes because my parents told me i have to go to school, despite me not having any prospects as far as majors go. I got a AA in Psychology, two in general education, a certificate in computer networking and communication. I don't see any of these as an achievement, just some bullshit i went towards since it was closest after a few years of school.

Here's my current dilemma. My father had a very succesful business as a smog technician. He was talking about getting another business opened up, a general repair shop, where i would be in charge of a few mechanics and running the place.

Well he did it and now opened a garage and put me in the office. I know nothing about running a business, or cars, but now ive gone from being basically NEET to sitting in this place for like 60 hours a week. Owning your own business is supposed to be a pretty positive thing but i feel so out of place. One of his friends he's known for like 20 years is the only mechanic here, very nice guy i get along great with him, but i have no real way of contributing. I sit in the office while he is in the garage. I have no knowledge or training as a mechanic so the only thing i can do for customers is give them an estimate\bill. I try to be productive but i really don't even know where to start.

At this point in my life i have accomplished nothing and have no job prospects outside of minimum wage bullshit, so i don't feel like i have an excuse to quit. However imagining spending potentially years of my time here is so disheartening. I don't even know what i'm really asking here, i just feel so lost.
>>
also re-reading through this, i realize i sound like a whiny cunt. This is what i get for not applying myself in anything, but i just need some kind of outside input.
>>
File: 1480231456084.jpg (38KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1480231456084.jpg
38KB, 300x300px
You go the IT route, where you start minimum wage, get some certifications and then climb the career ladder.

Learn to program and become a web developer.

Go into sales and become a sales men.

Work in construction, getting licences to drive different machinery.

I mean honestly what do you want to do mate?
>>
>>18550335
i think you may have not read my full post

but as far as your question, honestly fucking nothing

i cannot imagine myself doing anything for an extended period of time, like the rest of my life, for income.
>>
>>18550305
OP I was put in a leadership position in 2012 when my patrol leader got shot. The one thing I always remembered was how I sorta let everyone on the team do their own thing and I learned off of what they did because they were experts at it. Soon enough I had the respect of them because they knew I respected what they did. It also made the time to let each of them give me some insight on how they did what they do and soon enough we were a well oiled machine kicking ass.

Then I was replaced and put back in my role when a new Sgt came to help us out.

Your workers know you're new, so don't be bashful about it, own it and use it to.learn from your workers and become more versatile.
>>
>>18550349
im not sure if the point of this thread was to ask "how do i make this business succeed?" or to ask "how can i just put an end to this"

i am not happy while there, i find no pleasure in running it, and dont care to make money.
>>
>>18550380

Sitting on your ass all day on 4chan, playing video games and being a lazy twat is not helping you or your father.

Grow the fuck up. Being an adult is about doing things you don't enjoy for the betterment of tomorrow. You think a vast majority of people like waking up early and going to work for 8 hours then commuting back home to spend what little time they have with their family? No. Knock off the whiny crap, write down on a piece of paper what interests in you and then think of a way to maneuver towards it whether it be today or 5 years. Get to it and take your finger up your ass.
>>
>>18550313
I'm kinda in the same boat as you, but I have an idea of what I want to do. I have an AA in administration of justice (cop shit) from a community college and I feel as though that's what I would want to do.

But same as you, I really don't have any motivation to do anything about it. I don't apply for recruit positions because I just think 'there's no chance, why bother?', I don't look into bettering myself as a candidate, which is something I'd think I'd want to do if I were really into this. I just can't find the motivation to do what I want to do. I have another job in mind, but it's incredibly unrealistic.

My suggestion I guess would just think what gives you pleasure in life? Do you have any hobbies? Hunting? Fishing? Crafting? Anything? Tell me something you like to do then let's figure out if it's something you can do for a living.
>>
>>18550380
Well that's life. Your father has literally handed you a ticket out of the rat race. All you need to do is put 4-5 years hard work into this place and make it a success then just collect money from it when you hire a manager
>>
>>18550407
my hobbies are riding my motorcycle, playing the piano, and the intenet in general.

I'm nowhere near good enough or diligent enough to train to be good enough to make a career out of the piano. Not going to be a motorcycle racer(or mechanic,) and internet is just a time waste.

I've built my own PC and consider myself to be somewhat knowledgable in computers, but i dislike coding, and feel that the field is saturated as fuck already.

>>18550421
people have told me it'd take 2 years before you start to see profit in a repair shop. Hiring a manager seems unlikely, my dad wouldn't want to do it that way but we'll see down the line if its still around i guess.
>>
>>18550313
>>18550305
Just try to do the best you can whenever you have the opportunity and not to be as concerned with the fruit of said actions anon.
If I was you I'd spend all that slack time researching and learning more about these things that I don't know much about, perhaps finding interest in some part of it somewhere along the way.
>>
>>18550452
I try to use the time im there in some sort of useful way, setting up the business on google listings, and researching how to get a website up, shit like that to bring in customers. But along the way it sets in that theres so much shit to do, its overwhelming. I try to make small steps though.
>>
You kinda remind me of my brother. He stumbled around in college (at a university no less) for 3 years before he came back to live with us. He had no real passions or motivations in life, but he never seemed to get into a depressive state about it.

He just got a low-credentials/low-workload state office job, moved into the nearest city, and is enjoying himself as far as I can tell. I think you might be putting too much value into a job. It doesn't have to dictate your life, and it doesn't make you who you are.
>>
>>18550488
i would consider myself in an extreme depressive state; i think about suicide often

i always joked with my brother and cousin that we'd live together in the "minimum wage gaming house" where we work bullshit jobs and live frugally so we can just hang out and game together.

i dont spend a lot of money, i never thought i'd spend this much time trying to make a successful business. If i make 100k\year or 30k\year i'd probably live no differently.
>>
>>18550506
From what I can tell, what you really need is a rhythm in your life. This job, which you already don't want, changes at the drop of a hat I could assume. New problems, new things to learn all the time, and especially in a field you don't really care for.

I think a monotonous office job might suit you best. If you're near a major metropolitan area, try to apply for some state office job. They usually have good enough unions to live your life comfortably off of, and after you get acclimated in an easy job, which you will probably get incredibly easily just by having an AA in literally anything, you can actually focus on what's missing from your life.

Then when you're at work you can think 'I don't like this because....'. It just sounds like you want things to be stable. And being in the same boat you're in (22 and live with parents with an AA and a job my dad got me), I think you really just need to move out of your house.
>>
>>18550526
this sounds pretty accurate. I remember looking through government jobs, thinking that it'd be great if i could just have a stable, simple job like that with little change. Benefits, vacation, etc that i would accrue over time.

I don't know how to tell my dad i dont want to do this, he's spent thousands on equipment, rent, etc. He already sees me as a failure that he had to prop up himself, and then i go and quit? fuck me, the day i do that is the day he officially disowns me.
>>
>>18550542
It'll be hard on him at first, but he has to realize that you have to life your own life.

Tell him you want to get your own job, make your own money, and live in your own home. I'm sure he knows you really don't give a shit about smog, cars, or managing, but deep down he just wanted to help you. If you can show him that you can get a job on your own, provide for yourself on your own, and be happy on your own, he'll get over you dropping this job. Parent's always want what's best for their children, and you have to make sure he knows that this job isn't what's best for you.

But like I said, it'll be hard at first. I don't know your father very well, but I would expect arguing, anger, and resentment that lasts an uncomfortable amount of time. Especially since you're still living there so I would also recommend trying to get a job and move out as fast as you can after letting him know.
>>
>>18550305
>>18550305
>I got a AA in Psychology, two in general education, a certificate in computer networking and communication.

What jobs can you get with these? Have you tried applying? I ask cause Im in the same boat but im poorer and know people who can't get a job with an AA.
>>
>>18550313
>>18550305
>I got a AA in Psychology, two in general education, a certificate in computer networking and communication.

What jobs can you get with these? Have you tried applying?
>>
>>18550611
i have no idea, i didnt get them for any potential job prospects.

You can probably transfer to a 4year with the AA and continue psychology if you think that'll get you somewhere
>>
>>18550506

>I think a monotonous office job might suit you best. If you're near a major metropolitan area, try to apply for some state office job. They usually have good enough unions to live your life comfortably off of, and after you get acclimated in an easy job, which you will probably get incredibly easily just by having an AA in literally anything

Be more specific. I'm in community college bored out of my mind. What exactly are the job positions called? How much would I make?
>>
>>18550526

>I think a monotonous office job might suit you best. If you're near a major metropolitan area, try to apply for some state office job. They usually have good enough unions to live your life comfortably off of, and after you get acclimated in an easy job, which you will probably get incredibly easily just by having an AA in literally anything

Be more specific. I'm in community college bored out of my mind. What exactly are the job positions called? How much would I make?
>>
>>18550706
Why do you keep double posting hijacking the thread? Go away
>>
File: 1499606143217.png (39KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1499606143217.png
39KB, 645x773px
>>18550709
This mimi app had me quoting the wrong person and wont let me delete my fuck ups. Sorry anon
>>
File: 1481444255768.jpg (104KB, 1100x516px) Image search: [Google]
1481444255768.jpg
104KB, 1100x516px
>>18550718
Sorry I was so hostile towards you anon. I had no right
>>
I'm in the same boat pretty much. Looking for office jobs and getting them interviews. It's like what's the point? We go to school we work then we die.
>>
>>18550482

Sounds like imposter syndrome. Mixed with an already epically low sense of self esteem. You feel you were handed this job, and you're under qualified for it in every way and don't deserve it. Try to change how you look at it. Instead of thinking how you can't do it, or aren't able for it, try to think about how you can use it to gain experience an start to make things better. Like other anons said, learn extra things about the business and management in general in your spare time. Learn some parts of mechanics, watch your dad's friend at his work. Improve your abilities over time and make yourself worthy of the position. I know you don't see it this way at the moment, but your father has given you a golden opportunity here, and this is exactly what he wants you to do. If you hate the job, that's one thing. However from my reading of your thread I think you just feel like you're not good enough. You are. Best of luck anon
>>
>>18550305
How about you tell that to your father and do some actual field work so you can learn what the fuck your business is about.

As a wageslave I understand that people like you are as trapped into the system as me and you just happened to be luckier in the birth lotto so I do not hate you for it, however as a worker it fucking triggers me that inversionists/admins have no fucking idea what we're doing so even if they want the company to succeed they have no fucking idea how to do it so come and learn the fucking trade so you can stop being a fucking chair that can't make a decision and turn into someone who actually helps from his vantage point.

A simple example: I've been complaining for months that the productivity of the company would increase (and the work itself would be way easier) if we got new and better tools but the administration is too stupid to understand why so they just ignore me (and my coworkers are bluepilled imbeciles who can't take a stand but that's a different issue).
>>
Well, since you haven't got any motivation then go and find it dude. Think as hard as you can about this : "What makes me happy ? Nothing ? Well .. then what's missing in my life ? There's gotta be something.."

There's always something that's missing in your life if you can't find the motivation to do anything at all. Search all of your memories. I would think that it might be friends, love or something related to these two.
>>
You sound just like me except you actually have a job. Congratulations. They say it's never to late to start improving your life.
>>
>>18551027
Sounds like you've hit the nail on the head. I'll have to lookup imposter syndrome
>>
>>18550971
Its cool bud
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.