[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I got into an acting grad school in New York City. I'd like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: download (3).jpg (18KB, 300x168px)
download (3).jpg
18KB, 300x168px
I got into an acting grad school in New York City. I'd like to try to be a working actor, but if that doesn't work out I want to use the degree to be a professor in theater.

The problem is the price. Over 3 years with all expenses accounted for (food, housing, tuition) it's gonna cost about $200,000. I'm getting no help from family and ALL of it will be paid for with a PLUS loan. From what I hear, you can make payment plans to pay for it over a 30 year period or something, which would help.

If I can get the professor job then I should be ok. Saleries are around 80k for professors. I dont need to become a celebrity to be happy. I like teaching (only taught young kids so far). But then again I'd like to give life as just an actor a try.

I hear that being a TA or teaching beginner courses for udergrads in grad school helps a lot with the cost. Is there anything else I can do to plan this better?
>>
>200k in debt
>just to fucking teach
>80k salary

Holy shit dont do it, you will never get rid of that debt. If you really want to teach then get your masters in a way cheaper school somewhere else in the country.
>>
>>18548443

ehhh from what I have seen most acting teachers / professors will only get hired if they were a one hit wonder, by which i mean they needed to appear in some film or tv show of some notoriety to be anything more than a shitty improv class teacher.
>>
>>18548443
It's graduate school, go find yourself some grant money or something jesus christ. im all for following your dreams but be practical about it. i go to school in nyc too and while there isn't much you can do about the cost of living you can bring down how much student debt you accumulate
>>
Nobody cares, you're not going to make it anywhere. I guarantee you.

I put my life on this statement.
>>
Post more beautiful pictures of NYC and I'll help you.
>>
>>18548523
You don't think I could even teach?
>>
>>18548523
Also, if you think one guy telling me I'll fail is going to stop me then you're wrong. The only reason I or anyone makes it even as far as I have needs to tolerase hearing that every day. It weeds out the people who don't REALLY want it anyway. I'd much rather die in a gutter having given my all and not gotten what I wanted than to never try. That I wouldn't be able to live with.
>>
>>18548539
>>
Ask yourself honestly.

Are you a genius?

If yes, proceed. If you're anything less, find a new path.
>>
>>18548692
Do you believe in yourself, anon? That you can have just about anything that you want? Like genuinely.
>>
>>18548695
Depends what you mean. I'm shit at math but I can act. I don't think I'll be the best there because this I one of the top programs you can go to, I expect there to be people who will blow my mind, there always are. What I do know is I'm good, And I love it more than anything.

>>18548705
I don't think there is anything a person cannot do in general. I'm not asking to become a multimillionaire A list celebrity. I'm in it because I love it and because every person in the professional world has told me that I have "it". I don't believe in talent, I believe in dedication. Alot of this work is luck and beING in the right place in the right time. I've been taught by A list actors and many of them are made to look better at acting than they are. Editing in movies is HUGE. On stage, everything is bare. They make mistakes, they fail, they lose relevency, they move on. They're way more human than they look.

I want to open a little theater for handicapped kids in a rural town. I want to teach in a college. I want to teach to kids in slums. I want to be in small student film projects, I want to preform for 5 people in a blackbox for free. I'm not here for fame.
>>
>>18548679
>I'd much rather die in a gutter having given my all and not gotten what I wanted than to never try.

No you won't. You will vote for fucking morons such as Bernie Sanders as soon as you fail.
>>
>>18548769
I actually hated both bernie and shillery. I'm literally the only conservative actor in every show I'm in.
>>
>>18548769
>>
200k is just pure insanity. That's literally gonna hang over your head for the rest of your life. if you want to teach acting, why not just go to a small theatre and networking and working your way up to teaching?
>>
>>18548443
Sounds like a really bad idea unless you already know people when you go in. If you're going in blind, just choose a cheaper grad school.
>>
File: WiHwlqG.png (518KB, 1349x1079px) Image search: [Google]
WiHwlqG.png
518KB, 1349x1079px
>>18548798
>>18548769
Forgot pic
>>
>counting on getting a teaching position as your backup plan
Acting school was stupid enough of a decision, but this really takes the cake.
>>
>>18549046
Why? Tell me.
>>
>>18549046
Because some of us actually train to be teachers
>>
>>18549131
I don't see how that means Mr teaching is a bad idea
>>
>>18549123
>>18549168
Teaching isn't a bad idea, it's just an absolutely shitty Plan B. Your chances of landing a professor gig are even smaller than your chances of making it as an actor. If you do end up teaching, it'll most likely be in an after school programme for children or something. Acting just isn't in demand both as a skill and for teaching.
>>
>>18549283
Really? I see quite a few positions on higher ed. More than in education, which my mom is a professor in.
>>
>>18548443
> Saleries are around 80k for professors.
No, salaries for tenured professors are around $80K. Tenure is becoming rare, and 70% of people teaching classes now are contingent faculty. Adjuncts average $30K. That's about what you'll be lucky to make, if you actually land a job teaching, but you won't, because there are no jobs, almost all of which go to PhDs anyway.

You will never pay back $200K in loans working in academia. If you starve yourself and live with roommates, you might keep up with the interest payments but you will never pay the principal of the loan.
>>
There is absolutely no way that you should, or that any responsible lender should allow you to, run up nearly a quarter of a million dollars in debt, especially for a Master's degree (you mention 3 years, so it's not even a PhD), and especially in acting. You will never escape that much debt.
>>
>>18551037
Are there any state schools where I could get it cheaper?
>>
>>18551256
There are plenty of good schools with lower costs. I don't know if Berea does grad programs, but you should have been looking around long before now. Admissions deadlines passed along with your hopes of ever paying off yout debt long, long ago.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.