[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>in the planning stages of making a YouTube channel >Want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: 1491589014234.jpg (89KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1491589014234.jpg
89KB, 1024x768px
>in the planning stages of making a YouTube channel
>Want to call it something along the lines of "Five Minute History Lesson"
>I think it is a catchy title, and I want the videos to have brevity, but I am fully aware some topics might go over five minutes, and some might be under five minutes

So, as a viewer, would you understand that the title just expresses brevity, and isn't a literal "five minutes or less" type of deal?
>>
For me personally, if I saw a video that was say 7 minutes long from that channel, I would think about how that's a bit weird in my head, but wouldn't comment anything. This might even make me notice the video more and make me more likely to click on it.

I've seen this kind of thing on YouTube before and that is usually what happens for me.
>>
Just roll with it and make the time discrepancy a running joke.
>>
There's already a channel that does this. Several, in fact. What's your unique angle?
>>
>>18546862

I have seen the same thing. I might have a bit of autism because I look at everything hyper literally, but I don't know if other people do.

I'm not even sold on the name at this point. Because when we get to the design phase, I can't conceivably see how a good logo or image would be made from that name. And I don't want to confuse potential subscribers, nor do I want to seem amateurish.
>>
>>18546917

I'm going to focus on the history of a specific subject. Such as music. And my approach is different. A lot of the ones you're referencing are stick figure drawings or seem like MS paint mock ups.

Mine will be stylized with faster paced cuts, a music bed combined with voice-over that creates a rhythm so the copy seems almost lyrical, and found footage, HD photographs, effects done to the photographs a la Ken Burns, and motion graphics to create a much more pleasant viewing experience.

I have no plans of being huge, but I just want to test out some editing techniques, and get my toes wet in social media, marketing, mass communications, and branding.
>>
>>18546925
so almost exactly the same but you plan to do some copyright infringement? liked and subscribed!
>>
File: large.jpg (44KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
44KB, 600x400px
>>18546928

>2017 anno domini
>not knowing about fair use
>being this new
>>
>>18546838
I think that would be an okay title if it were 2005 and other channels like "Minute Science," or whatever the hell they're called, didn't exist. I'd go back to the naming board for sure.
>>
>>18546928
not OP. you seem to have an inexperienced worldview, like the world is so huge and "if you can think of it, it exists," but that's just not the case. by all means, though, keep discouraging OP from doing something very positive for himself.
>>
>>18546932
>found footage, HD photographs
>fair use
bitch do you even know how to read. this isn't a photography criticism channel
>>
>>18546928
>>18546934

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0SlRJN0GuM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dIQW4DRrp8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDlrd5SgWSo
>>
>>18546934
there are hundreds of nearly identical videos podcasts and tv shows
>>
>>18546936
a "5" minute history video is not a work of art and panning over someone else's photograph is not an adaptation or reference, it's theft
>>
>>18546936
Star Wars gets old to actual adults very quickly.

>>18546838
Also, OP, I would shoot for 8-25 minutes, being as to-the-point as possible. Why are we assuming the viewer only has a split second to learn about history, or that they don't care about things like detail and context?
>>
>>18546937
There's probably less than 20 successful youtube channels in this format. I would honestly expect like 5 worth watching, and then maybe an additional 3 that are just bordering on clickbait. How many channels are you subbed to on YouTube?

And so there are dozens of popular history podcasts. At what point do you think they should have just thrown in the towel and not made any more? Twelve? Twenty-four? Do you have something against there being a big number of things?

And what makes you think that this wouldn't be a positive experience for OP, even if it tanked? What if he wants to do something similar to this in the future, but didn't have any practice? Do you think he should just sit on 4chan for the time he could spend making videos?

Do you have anything positive to contribute to the conversation here? What's your age?
>>
>>18546838
Not really. Something like "History Shorts" or "History Crunch". Something that represents short or bits of history. 5 minute History sort of implies 5 minutes.
>>
File: handslomo.png (380KB, 945x416px) Image search: [Google]
handslomo.png
380KB, 945x416px
>>18546935

>(in US copyright law) the doctrine that brief excerpts of copyright material may, under certain circumstances, be quoted verbatim for purposes such as criticism, news reporting, teaching, and research, without the need for permission from or payment to the copyright holder.

>teaching

Also, check this out

>http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/four-factors/

I'm pretty sure I pass each prong. Regardless, if I made a video using that Tienanmen square photo, and said look at this photo, pay me to look at this photo, yeah, that would be illegal.

However, if I take that photo and discuss the historical impact that even had, and what was going on when that photo was taken, I'd be completely in the clear.

I mentioned Ken Burns earlier. He made a style by using found photos to discuss historical events.

Stop talking about things you know nothing about. You're embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>18546838
No.

If you're called 5 minute history lesson you better damn well be 5 minutes. You're gonna try and lecture me but how am i supposed to take you for your word when you couldn't even make your videos 5 minutes like your channel name implied?

It's a bad idea and you will be mocked in the comments and also lose potential viewers who smirk and scroll past your stupid 8 minute "5 minute history lesson"

Its so easy for someone to notice you're full of shit before even watching OP. Its a bad idea. How aout, "daily history lesson"? Sure, it wont be daily. But nobody will put in the effort to check your upload history whereas they can easily see your channel name and video length without effort.
>>
>>18546951
I also think five minutes isn't long enough for a history topic.
>>
>>18546940

please refer to >>18546950

>>18546937

>how can people who like things I don't really care for actually want to consume more of that thing.

I remember in 2008 emailing moot asking for a history board. He never replied to that email. probably never even saw it to be honest. But people said the same thing you did, "what is the point of a history board? there will be five posts and thats it." well, lo and behold there is a history board now.

And as >>18546944 said, which I'm very thankful for what they're saying, this isn't so much the content, which I am passionate about, it is more the experience of learning how building a social media audience works, publishing and creating content regularly, and learning how to engage an audience.
>>
>>18546940

OH! I get what you're saying. What I showed those is to show you that they literally used found footage and photographs to teach a lesson.

which is what I'm aiming to do. And all three are similar, but it doesn't make them any less entertaining to watch. For me at least.
>>
>>18546956
If OP has some godly summarization skills, the channel could work beautifully and would fill a hole currently unfilled by anyone correctly.

People who do channels like this cover stupid shit and do so with zero depth and in the style that a 9 year old could follow.

I get the feeling it could work if someone other than OP did it. Lets face it, hes probably and autist aspie.
>>
>>18546970
Right, but I still think it should be 8-25 minutes. He can condense it as well as he wants, but you can't teach history in 5 minutes. If people don't understand the context or retain any details, they might as well be listening to a fictional audiobook.
>>
>>18546970

>Lets face it, hes probably and autist aspie.

You're right, but I am decent at this stuff. So I believe in myself.

>People who do channels like this cover stupid shit and do so with zero depth and in the style that a 9 year old could follow.

That is how I feel. And they all follow some spergy interest in medieval history or WWII.

Mine will have a focus on the history of music, so I could get into the origin of hip hop, or how punk rock became main stream.

Combined with a unique style, I think this will definitely be an enjoyable series, both to work on, and to be shared.

But, keep on hating. I don't care. But I do agree with you on the autism bit. That is true.
>>
>>18546981
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HefF02ddG-A

I like this video, personally.
>>
>>18546992

Thanks, I'll definitely check this out.

My style is going to be a bit different, but along these lines.
>>
>>18546838
"long story short" would be a better title
>>
Either maintain a tight '5 minute-ish' range, or

>>18546915
>>
>>18546838
Maybe your challenge is to end every video at the 5 minute mark.

Might force some more creativity and conciseness into them
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.