[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When I was a child I was in a Christian family, then after going

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20170704_214159.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170704_214159.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
When I was a child I was in a Christian family, then after going to a Christian middle school where I had church every morning I decided it really wasn't for me. As I've grown older I've become completely convinced there is no God, and it's really hard to understand the mindset of people who still believe in one despite the world we live in.

Honestly, how do you believe in God after reading the Bible, which was clearly written by humans from another era, and seeing the world we live in - I mean really, what living God would let Africa exist the way it does.

Genuinely trying to understand here.
>>
>>18535817
>>
>>18535817

I don't see the continuity error. In the bible nothing but awful fucking shit happens, god even lets a really good guy just suffer through all sorts of hell just to prove that he would be faithful. its filled with good christian people being slaughtered by the dozen, and once every 500 christians maybe one person makes as tand and god spares him, but they usually end up meeting an awful demise in a later verse anyway.

if god exists, the world described in the bible is pretty consistent to the world described now.

that being said theres still the 'why'. Well, if god does exist in the form of the christian bible describes him as, we know that God wants us to suffer to some degree. Not becuase our suffer gives him joy, but rather because that is how we learn. If there is no conflict then there is no reason to live really. HEaven its self is not even described as a place without conflict. You do not suddenly become pure and perfect just because you die. You go to heaven the same way you died. There's going to be tons of conflict up there, there's just less you can do to permanently ruin someone else in the process.

that being said, there's also lots of evidence that early versions of the bible (or rather the biblical texts that were passed around) preached reincarnation. with reincarnation in the mix it becomes easier to understand how someone might deserve to live in a war torn african place versus a cushy socialite in bevery hills. through reincarnation we realize that there are certain life lessons we have to learn. we start with the broad strokes and wrok out way down to the smaller more personal details that seem less extreme.

cont.
>>
>>18535868

Imagine plucking most any african and placing them in bevery hills, and just wiping their memory of their african life. it'd still be really insane. they wouldn't be able to fit or understand. people are born where they are to deal with what they need to deal with in order to slowly progress (As far as reincarnation is concerned at least).

God doesn't want us to suffer (from the POV of a christian god with reincarnation at least) he simply wants us to learn. think of the evolution of society and the human mind, and it looks almost to confirm reincarnation. we started off as stupid caveman who did whatever we wanted and needed, and with each life we learned a little about what is right or wrong, and slowly developed into creatures who could handle something more specific like society. its almost as if humans are somewhat inheriting morals from their previous lives, our intelligence not being blank when were born, but rather being funneled into a new consciousness.

the philosophy of religion is very interesting, and you can find any number of logical reasons for how it would work or why it would work if it did happen to be true, but at the end of the day, a lot of people don't need that.

the masses you refer to, the ones you can't understand believing this, none of them really think about the stuff I just discussed here. To them religion is just as naturally true as the earth being round. its just something they were told since day 1 and they have no reason to question it. so they don't. until it contradicts something important to them they won't, and even then they will rationalize.

and you don't have to rationalize, you don't have to believe. It'll always bug you that others do believe, and it will always bug others that you don't, but you can still make it through life happy and fulfilled without worrying about 'god' 'religion' or the people that come with it.
>>
>>18535817
When I was younger I thought I knew there was no god, because of contradictions in the bible, because science has discarded lot of stuff. Later on I realized how small my mind and my view on the world is. Going from there my first thought or feeling was "who are you to say there is no creator or higher being?"
>>
>>18535817
>Honestly, how do you believe in God after reading the Bible, which was clearly written by humans from another era
It was. The bible is their experiences with the devine written in their specific time periods in their time period's mindset.

Cf:
Bultmann, Harnack, Troeltsch, Schleiermacher, Westermann.

Don't try to calim all Christfags believed what aside of radical US evangelicals nobody believes, m8.

>and seeing the world we live in - I mean really, what living God would let Africa exist the way it does.
A world that's state WE not God created, making this our fault.

God has no hands but ours, Anon (cf. Dorothee Sölle).

>>18535868
>If there is no conflict then there is no reason to live really. HEaven its self is not even described as a place without conflict. You do not suddenly become pure and perfect just because you die. You go to heaven the same way you died. There's going to be tons of conflict up there, there's just less you can do to permanently ruin someone else in the process.
>that being said, there's also lots of evidence that early versions of the bible (or rather the biblical texts that were passed around) preached reincarnation.

Citation needed.

Oh, and: Nope.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.