[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My husband loves superman. He's 35 years old and doesn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

My husband loves superman. He's 35 years old and doesn't own anything superman related that I can reference from. For his birthday I would like to get him a stack of the old superman comics. I know nothing about comics or superheros at all.

I want to get him enough comics to read for a bit, so not unreasonably priced (cheap enough to buy a decent amount)

I want them to be old enough to be the superman he remembers.

And I would prefer of they were common enough that I could get a compleate run... say book 1,2,3, etc that he could continue if he wanted.

Any suggestions? I'm not sure if this is where I should be posting this.
>>
Edit: I don't think the value of the comics is important to him. It's more a nostalgia thing. He's never owned anything like this since he was a kid.
>>
I would just go to a Barnes and Noble and buy one of those complete volumes of comics. Just pick the oldest one you can find
>>
Kingdom Come is my favorite Superman comic. Artwork by legendary Alex Ross, it's a fantastic story that highlights the unique challenges of being the world's ultimate authority. You can thumb through it in a day, but really any comic won't keep you occupied for too long.

Your local comic shop should have some good suggestions.
>>
>>18535579

if hes 35, then his high point was probably about ten years old. you want comics from the late eighties to early 90s.

http://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/_search.php?q=superman&sort=6

this website has a bunch in bound form and lets you sort by year.
>>
>>18535585
So everyone recommends a comic book store... I considered buying a collection online so that it would be in order.

Is your series old? Would it be considered a "staple" superman comic to the community?

I realize I'm just guessing what he likes but besides his age, I have nothing to go by and it's too close to his birthday to ask.
>>
>>18535605
Not sure what bound form is or how to find it. Also can't figure out how to search by year... only date.
>>
>>18535628

date is basically the same as year.

bound just means its not a single issue, its several consecutive issues bound together. just type in 'bound' when searching.
>>
>>18535607
It's not an older comic, but it is a new take on 'classic Superman'. It's about truth, justice, and the American way in a situation where it is impossible to make the right choice.

He'll like it, I'm sure.
>>
>>18536378
We're canadian lol
>>
>>18535585
Kingdom Come is great. It's a good read for adults too since it delves heavily into philosophical issues, and yes the artwork is amazing.
>>18535607
If you have a Half Price Books around you can check there. I can't recall what they're technically called but every popular superhero has a collection of comics in bound book form. So basically you get X amount of comics from a particular era of a certain superhero and it's just one big book. I used to see them all the time. I stopped reading comics a long time ago though. The mid 90's and early 2000's were a good time with stuff from Jeph Loeb and Brad Meltzer among others. Identity Crisis is another great graphic novel that's more adult orientated. Does your husband want campy stuff or some adult topics he might be able to relate too?
>>
>>18536389
Superman isn't.

Besides, it deals with worldwide issues, I was being facetious.
>>
/co/mrade reporting in.

Just get him "All Star Superman." It's a self-contained story. All twelve issues will be bound in one book. We call the square-bound books that compile a bunch of issues that originally came out in the monthly magazine format "trades" or "collected editions."

I'm really tempted to give you a whole list of good Superman shit, but I don't want to overwhelm you or simply confuse you more, so really... just get All Star Superman. It's a really good story. It's from the Modern Age (2000s), but it's a throwback to the Silver Age ('50s, '60s stuff) Superman comics, but through a more sophisticated lens.
>>
>>18535567
Eh, depends if he's into comics.

I grew up doing sketch art and loving super hero stuff, but 99 percent of comics are shit. They are terribly drawn and very short. I enjoyed a superman t shirt a lot more.
>>
>>18535605
>>18535628

I'm not that guy (I'm the guy who recommended All Star), but if you want late '80s through '90s Superman, that would be the John Byrne "Man of Steel" era. Essentially, they restarted Superman from scratch in the late '80s and modernized his origins. A lot of people are fond of this era.

The books collecting this era are also numbered in a very simple, logical fashion. Literally Superman: The Man of Steel, Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol. 3.... etc. The first book is the one with his updated origin, and then the next books continue on with his present day adventures under his then-new status quo.

Here's a link to the first one.

https://www.amazon.com/Superman-Man-Steel-Vol-1/dp/0930289285/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1500529431&sr=8-3&keywords=superman+the+man+of+steel
>>
>>18537089
A good portion of superhero comics are worthless rags with soap opera-tier writing ("this guy killed that guy... only, he didn't, a robot PRETENDING to be him killed that guy... but that guy isn't really dead, either... turns out that was just his clone, etc. etc.), but Sturgeon's Law applies to everything. 99% of everything is crud.

Doesn't mean that he wouldn't enjoy one of the good ones. There's plenty of great Superman stuff out there. I recommended two, and I'm refraining from recommending any more, because dumping some huge list on a normie will just increase their burden of having to sort through stuff. But even if he isn't an avid comic-book reader who, say, goes to the comics shop every week to get the latest issues, the novelty of an actual Superman comic would be a lot more of a thoughtful gift than some Superman mug.

You just have to make sure it's one of the accessible comics that any normie can enjoy without being confused or committing to buying tonnes of other books to "get" the story. So, yeah, All Star Superman and Superman: The Man of Steel, Vol. 1 are good bets for those. Pick one or the other. Though I'd say All Star is the better choice (less corny dialogue, better written... more sophisticated use of symbolism and theme, and it's also the sort of story that pulls at the heart strings).
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.