[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I become a straight A student as a freshman in college?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Straight-A-Daniel-Wong.jpg (37KB, 450x297px) Image search: [Google]
Straight-A-Daniel-Wong.jpg
37KB, 450x297px
How do I become a straight A student as a freshman in college?

I had around a 3.5 in high school but my studying consisted of 10 minutes max of looking over class handouts and that's about it. I'm worried that I don't have the work ethic in me to keep up with the more intense curriculum of college so I'm trying to adjust my habits before school starts.

Any tips?

Also, what study tools do you use to help you out the most as far as websites, software, etc.?

Thanks.
>>
>>18535482
what is your major?, if it's math I might be able to help.
Also college curriculum isn't intense at all unless you want to take honor courses and graduate courses or want to graduate early. Typically students have plenty of time to fuck around until like 3rd year. I never studied on weekends or most nights for the first two years.
>>
Tryhard. Set reasonable goals. Study at least 4 hours every day, if there's assigments do more. Set every single test as goal to study for and start now
>>
I don't know because I did not get straight A's in school. I would take better notes.
>>
File: aplus_monte2-11.png (32KB, 284x284px) Image search: [Google]
aplus_monte2-11.png
32KB, 284x284px
Here is my advice as an honours student and someone who also grew up with a learning disability in school.

-Sit in the front of the class. In the front of the class, there are less distractions (especially with phones and laptops). Sitting in the front also gives a great impression to your teachers.

-Go to class. Arrive on time as well. Treat school like a job and the teachers like your boss. A lot of people do shitty because they just don't go to class.

-Choose your friends wisely. You pick up habits in school and the people you hangout with will reflect those habits you display in school.

-Do not choose your friends for group work. Choose people who come to class, stay off their phone, and participate in class discussion. These people will be your best aids in college.

Volunteer. Volunteering and getting involved with the school helps build up rapport with the teachers and helps bridge connections with others.

Participate in class. Don't be the quiet one in the back. You WANT teachers to know your name.

-Be creative with your assignments. What makes your assignment different? The teacher will get 150 of the same assignment. How will yours stand out?

All in all, have fun and use this time to grow. If you focus on these things, you could eventually be an honours student.
>>
>>18535514
Finance.

>>18535515
>>18535524
Thanks.
>>
>>18535515
I wouldn't listen to this guy necessarily. If you do this you could easily burn yourself out or fall short and feel like your failing. Instead focus on the amount of content that you should finish daily rather than time.

Besides this focus on how you read, learn to speed read. Make notes before you start to read the body of a chapter, if there's a summary at the end or notes from class the connect directly skim over that a few times before reading so you know what to look for. Learn to organize your notes from class, just google note taking for good ideas.
Be aware of how well you are grasping the content, and talk with a proffessor or classmates about how to do better. Be outgoing and don't worry so much. Anybody can get A's if they have the time and actively learn to study.
>>18535524
also this
>>
A lot of it is what works for you. If you try to follow strict study schedules or whatever that someone else has come up with you're going to get bored, burn out, and have a terribly unbalanced life.

Additionally, I'd suggest taking some time to organise your material, both when you're studying and when you're writing assignments. For assignments, come up with an outline of what you want to discuss and research to find material that will support your points. There's also an analysis component that will take you over and above an average grade, so take some time to think about how the material you have fits together.

When it comes to studying, don't just sit and read your notes over and over. Make good study notes, and then what I did was to condense them down so I had just a half-page summary of each topic. At no point were the notes the teacher's or textbook's words (unless they were a quote) - I'd paraphrase and write everything in my own words.

Basically, the idea is to slow down and don't rush everything. Come up with a good study plan that works for you, and stick to it. Make the time you spend worthwhile too - quality over quantity.

Some more tips:
>handwrite notes
I know this sounds like meme advice, but it really does help. I used a laptop for part of the time I was at uni and handwrote my notes for the others, and there was a significant difference in how well I understood the material and more importantly, how focused I'd be in class.

>don't be afraid to ask questions, either in class, or in your teacher's office hours
Your teacher does not want you to fail. If you don't understand something, or if you didn't do as well in a test as you hoped to, first read over your notes then then approach your teacher.

>learn how the class and teacher operate
Sometimes you can get away with slacking off, sometimes you can't. Sometimes the teacher will focus on analysis, sometimes they'll focus on you getting the main ideas down.
>>
>>18535482
What kind of classes did you take in high school?
By that I mean reg/honors/ap and the likes.
>>
>>18535684
My piece of advice: make syre you make friends and newtwork.
Wotking together on tougher math assignments is expected and will help boost your grades. Plus, friends and social skills will help land you a job when you are done.
>>
>>18535802
College prep classes, they were one level above the regular classes that most people take but they weren't challenging at all.

>>18535898
I'm going to try and network as much as I can. The one thing holding me back is my lack of social media. Should I hop on the social media wave?
>>
>>18536127
Social media makes things 100% easier. You don't even have to use ot very often, just keep it up to recieve event invites and FB messages.
>>
>>18535482
Go to the library, turn off wifi, do your work for the day and do not leave until it is done. Then you leave and rinse repeat
>>
>>18535482
College is a different ballpark. People who got As in HS occasionally fail in college due to difference in demands. Study hard, study smart, and find your balance

t. Anon who has a 4.0 in STEM field and got a 3.3 GPA HS
>>
Go to class, go to all your discussion sections, finish all your assignments, turn them in on time, take the time to study for tests (especially if the topic is outside of what you're already good at), and generally just stay on top of your classes. If there's not a chance you'll do well in a class or you know you'll spend all your time on it when it's not worth it, drop it early and move on.

I know that's some basic advice but if you do that you'll get a 4.0. There's not really a secret to it other than being a good student, and that's how you get there.

I graduated high school with honors and I nearly failed out of college my first quarter because I would ditch class, not turn in major assignments, and ended up skipping two finals. I can't believe how stupid I was that first quarter but it inspired me to get my shit together, and I graduated in 4 years with a 3.6 GPA.

Some more advice: picking college courses and planning for requirements in the major and GE requirements is a game. Seriously. There's a smart way to plan what courses you'll take and your college advisors are there to help you plan it. They know how choosing classes works and can help you in a major way. Even if it's a pain to set up a meeting with them, do it. Especially if you see them just to check-in and you're not in a crisis (i.e. about to fail out of college by your second quarter, like me) because they'll remember you and might look forward to helping you out.

My college had a language requirement for my major and I spent one quarter on French 1 and two quarters taking French 2 (withdrew from it once, dropped it a second time). I ended up testing out of the requirement with my knowledge of high school Spanish, but I only knew about the test after I had wasted the better part of three quarters on French.

So, be smart about your schedule. And also have fun in college since it's a lot fucking better than high school.
>>
Hey I'll advice you from my experience.
I've been all my high school years a terrible student, so yep, I get you.
I'll give you my most useful advices:

1: Join Studyblr, or Internet studying communities, there are a lot of them there.

2: Organization. You need it, really. Look for Bullet Journal method.

3 Sit in front of the class. It's true, you pay more attention.

4 Basic stuff like DOING YOUR HOMEWORK EVERYDAY, GO TO YOUR CLASSES AND STUDY FOR YOUR EXAMS. Tho it sounds simple, not many people do that.

5 Stay away from e v e r y t h i n g that distractes you. Yeah, I mean, even people like yours friends go only want to go out. You want to be an A+ Student? You have to know your priorities.

So, good luck!
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.