[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do I do if I don't have any ambitions or dreams? How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1436831172835.jpg (562KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1436831172835.jpg
562KB, 1600x1200px
What do I do if I don't have any ambitions or dreams? How do I keep going if there's nothing I'm striving for?
>>
Who are you OP? How would you describe yourself?

The only way to live is to strive for something. And there are so many things that something can be. Right now it seems you're striving for something to strive for. I don't have an answer for what that might be, but make it simple. Pick something and just absorb yourself in it. If you end up hating it, then that's a step towards finding something better. If you end up loving it, case closed.

Thinking like this, it's just a deconstructive abstraction. Those will always immobilize you. I happen to like to read. But do I really? Do I actually enjoy scanning my eyes across the page, stopping on each word and recalling the associations I have previously made with them? Do I like to spend hours listening to some asshole I'll never meet jerk himself on paper off over ideas he thinks are right and good? When I put it like that, no it fucking sucks. So I just like to read. I could state it a few happier ways too, or I could just keep it simple.
>>
>>18532863
>How would you describe yourself?
I don't know, really. My therapist asked me this recently, and I had no answer. Most people who enjoy what they do for a living can probably describe themselves by their profession. People who dedicate themselves to an interest or a hobby could probably describe themselves like that. If I'm neither of these, then I don't know what that makes me. A loser?

>Thinking like this, it's just a deconstructive abstraction. Those will always immobilize you.
You're probably right. I don't know what I want to do, but I do know I'm not happy where I am now. I've been looking for a new job, one that doesn't make me hate getting up in the morning, but I keep second guessing all my choices. Every time I think "Is this really what I want to do with my life? Is this really the path I want to take my career down? Would taking this job take me further away from doing what I really want? (assuming I can figure out what that is)"
>>
>>18533001
I have similar struggles. It has gotten better for me. However, I still struggle with knowing who I am, and I still often hesitate or second guess myself. Usually getting me into bigger shit than if I had just picked either. I think that's the key for me, just making a choice and learning to live with it. Just picking something to be and being it. It might also be for you.

Buddha said happiness is learning to want what you have, and to not want what you don't have. And I take that as sort of a motto these days. One can learn to love any place in life. For me, a ton of good books helped lead me along the way. There are many places to find inspiration though, and many ways to learn to love who and where you are.

I even find that dumb confidence can improve life. For a while I decided to fake it until I made it. I "ironically" (as a way of tricking my own low self esteem I guess) liked myself, and people responded pretty well to it. Eventually that was just real confidence. Those questions of "is this right for me?" if you spend enough time on them, lead you down the path of "no". Doubt can eat you alive. Maybe just spend a while without it. See how it goes.
>>
>>18533050
This is not to say to never think before you act, and to never introspect, but it seems like you might be doing a bit much. A balance can be struck.
>>
>>18532863
Take control of your own life. Sometimes the answer doesnt just fall into your lap and you have to search.
I'm guessing you're probably also the type to hold yourself back from trying things (get into the habit of trying them).
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.