[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I improve on my stupid ass English? Mainly speaking skills?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Learn-English.jpg (221KB, 1600x866px) Image search: [Google]
Learn-English.jpg
221KB, 1600x866px
How do I improve on my stupid ass English?

Mainly speaking skills? I am Asian and speak like Asian but I want to build up an accent like American, Australian or British. I know I can't fully adopt the whole accent thingy but I want to sound less dumb when speaking English.
>>
Sorry but this is stupid. Why do you want to adopt a fake accent? I think asian accent can be pretty cool.
>>
Watch American TV and imitate?
>>
>>18531460

Read up on English phonetics and learn the differences between different phonemes. There are good guides online on where your tongue/lips should be when pronouncing each. Once you know what you're doing, practice. Read out loud, listen to speech and repeat what they're saying. Record yourself and try to figure out where you're going wrong. The speech patterns and the intonation are harder to learn, but once you improve, you'll start to pick up where people stress words/syllables or raise/lower intonation. It's all up to practice and exposure.
>>
>>18531460
Write a Skype account here and I can help you speak Canadian.
>>
>>18531503
This is stupid advice. Just speak and listen more and you will naturally pick up or lose accents.
>>
>>18531460
try youtube speaking lessons, record yourself when speaking and listen to where the mistakes are. reading out loud often helps too, so practice basically.
when it doesn't sound right, just keep trying it in a different way
>>
>>18531460
americans sound like idiots, go for subtle british
>>
>>18531559
>you will naturally pick up or lose accents

Then why's broken English the most spoken language in the world? It might work that easy for native speakers, multilinguals and for speakers who's native languages that are relatively closely related to English, but it will be more challenging for people who're natives in an entirely different type of language.
>>
>>18531589
Yeah. THey sound like "yeah fuk yeay nigguh...mah beeehch wueedd"

British and Australian accents sound way more civilized.
>>
Polyglot here, watch shows and repeat as much as you can. It's even better to find a person whose accent you'd like to have and try to learn it. I did it with a streamer I enjoyed, since it provided new content to listen to and repeat almost every day. Its a lot easier to try to pick up and accent from a single person than from watching multiple shows, movies, etc.

Oh and for the love of god please don't pick American it sounds primitive
>>
>>18531460
Memrise you fool. You can learn via SRS for free.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.