[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to write stories, but everything that I try seems extremely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 1497737716777.jpg (197KB, 750x722px) Image search: [Google]
1497737716777.jpg
197KB, 750x722px
I want to write stories, but everything that I try seems extremely juvenile when I step back and look at it, especially if there are any supernatural elements involved. Dialogue seems janky, the flow of the story always seems poorly paced, and it generally sounds like something you'd find on a high schooler's DeviantArt page.
Any general advice for aspiring/beginner writers? Reading is one of my main hobbies, but learning how to write doesn't seem to have sunk in despite that.
>>
>>18529676
Read more. That's always the #1 advise from writers
>>
>>18529998
advice*
>>
>>18529676
Write more. You won't get any better without practice
>>
>>18529676
1. read a lot in a observing maner, try to get in the head of an author when you read a book for the second time. ask questions like: "why did he mention that thing that won't appear again?", "why do i like / dislike this element?", "why would you say something so irrelevant to the rest of the story?" etc.
2. get a rough outline of your story, (character motivation, arch's, making your macguffin more than a macguffin) before you start writing and ink it in from there
3. MAKE F@*%ING DRAFTS, for the love of god, if you publish your first draft you will leave in mistakes, miss out on oppertunities for clever writing (smart forshadowing, changes in diologue style) and make a lot of style mistakes
>>
I think that with the whole "if you don't like it don't look at it" culture nowadays, the bar has been set pretty low when it comes to the quality of amateur writing, webcomics, etc.
>>
>>18529676
Write. If you don't like what you've written, rewrite it to make it better. Then rewrite it again and make it even better. And then again. And again.

There is a myth that "real" writers just have the perfect product flow fully formed the first time. Absolute and utter nonsense. "Real" writers write and rewrite and rewrite and throw it all away and start all over and rewrite and rewrite and rewrite. And they are NEVER happy with what turns out to be the final product, but stop when it is close enough to what they really wanted to write that they can bear to look at it
>>
File: 1475082413358.jpg (113KB, 900x344px) Image search: [Google]
1475082413358.jpg
113KB, 900x344px
>>18529676
>seems extremely juvenile
Why dont wrote to THAT public? First of all you need to select your audience: child, old, juvenile, teens... etc.

With time you may improve all your storytelling skills, all stories are great, just dont go in the mary sue thing
>>
>>18529676
Ask /lit/ and practice
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.