[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about getting my first credit card since I'm also

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Amazon_Prime_Visa_Card.jpg (339KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Amazon_Prime_Visa_Card.jpg
339KB, 1024x768px
Thinking about getting my first credit card since I'm also getting my first job within the next two weeks. Amazon seems like a pretty good start since I use them a lot and there's no annual fees. Is this a good starter choice? I only plan on getting one to build credit for future use.

If it matters, I'm 19.
>>
A good starter choice is don't get a credit card. Just get a debit card and stick with that until you feel comfortable enough financially to get a credit card and just pay off the fees of the credit card through your debit card.
>>
>>18518228
I have a debit card and with the job i'll be getting, financially I'll be able to make payments on it monthly easily.
>>
>>18518217
You want to have a stable source of income before applying for a credit card. Also, don't be a person who has a ton of credit cards. I don't understand the real mechanics behind it but getting a bunch of credit cards will make your credit score look like shit. Closing credit cards can also make your credit score look like shit. Rule of thumb is the fewer the better.

Do not treat credit cards like free money. Always pay bill statements in full, do not just pay the minimum. Paying only the minimum will not look good on your credit score and you'll get fucked in the ass later by APR.

Another thing to do is never max out your credit card. Looks really bad. Rule of thumb is to stay under 1/3 of whatever the limit is. Ex-> $3000 then stay under $1000.

Probably other stuff I could mention but yeah, unlike what some retards believe, credit cards are not free money.
>>
>>18518510
How long is considered stable?

As for getting more than one, I don't plan to. This is just to start building credit for when I'm older.
>>
>>18518852
>How long is considered stable?
I was considering something with an actual salary that isn't bagging groceries or a summer job or some shit.
>>
Yes, it looks like a decent starter choice. Thing is, I don't think you'll be able to get it. If you never had a card before, your credit will be nonexistent, cause their application system to deny you. I was able to get my first card because I already had accounts for some years at the bank I applied to.

But let's say you do get it. Congratulations. Here are the resources I've found to be very useful in learning about credit:
http://archive.is/JQ3W6
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/wiki/credit_score

And finally, the disclaimer:
I second nearly everything 18518510 mentioned except I would set the limit to 10% (pay off your debt as soon as you can afterwards if it goes over). Credit cards have ruined lives. Don't buy anything unnecessary. Card companies live off of suckers and temptation.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.