[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

22 yr old female here. After a lot of soul searching I finally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 200_s.gif (14KB, 356x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
14KB, 356x200px
22 yr old female here.

After a lot of soul searching I finally figured out what I want to do...software engineering/software web development. I've taken some free courses and I've done HTML, CSS, algorithms, binary, logic gates...learning python atm. I'm still new though. Should I
>go to college
or
>Take another year off, save up and learn more on my own?

I'm enrolled in my community college but it only transfers to a university that has barely any tech community so it would be hard to get internships to pay off loans. I could go to a university that has better opportunities yet I'd have to get loans for all four years of schooling.

Is it worth it to save money for the year, lean more code and go to the university with more opportunities? Or should I just go to my community college for the first year? Or should I not even get a degree?
>>
If you go to college now they will teach you the code and skills, but it will be very difficult, no fun until you get out
If you wait you'll be ahead of the curve in some classes but not all (my school's program had computer engineering people take all of the hard electrical engineering classes)
Is it worth a year of your life to put off college? No, but do go to CC first, first year calculus is the same there
>>
Look into software training bootcamps. They are designed for beginners to become ready to be hired, in 3 to 6 months depending on the program. They teach you everything. It's a catch 22 because they have better material than university, you learn better because it's more personal, often less expensive and way less time consuming, but the downside is it's not as valuable as a degree in the long run.
>>
>>18517438
Is it worth it to wait a year for a school with better opportunities?
>>
>>18517463
I would get into a collegiate program of some sort so you can start earning credits, then during that semester take sometime to find a better program to transfer to if you want
>>
>>18517425
your gender isnt pertinent information, don't include it anymore, youre anon now, or fuck off to reddit
>>
>>18517425
Why did you have to mention that you're a female? It's completely irrelevant.
>>
>>18517425
DESU bro, college is for making connections. Also learning some algorithms and generally getting a very superficial sample of some CS concepts, but in general, expect to learn most stuff on your own. Especially programming. Infact, learn programming before you go and get good with it.

>Is it worth it to save money for the year, lean more code and go to the university with more opportunities?
Probably. Especially if you can get some kind of job vaguely related to CS.
>>
>>18517425
You can honestly just show up with your tits and they will hire you because they have too many men in the office. You don't need school unless you want to do research. Unless you're making products for the government then commercial development does not require a degree, just hard work.
>>
>>18517425
Get your associates. Then if you feel like if you can study the rest without school, then start working and learning on the side. Otherwise transfer and get a full degree
>>
So learning programming yet taking taking a year off is better?
>>
>>18517445
Software developer who helps with hiring decisions at my company here. Bootcamps are a fucking meme. You can't go from zero to developer in 6 months. End of story.
>>
>>18519195
I have a friend who did a bootcamp that was only 3 months, and spent a summer doing some self-learning beforehand. He had no prior programming experience, just a degree in economics, but got a job immediately out of the bootcamp and has been successful in his career since.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.