[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /adv/, my parents are forcing me to go to college. Thing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

Hey /adv/, my parents are forcing me to go to college. Thing is, I have no idea what to major in. They said that it's fine that I take two years off to study in a trade school, but after that, I have to get a degree. The only major that I'm interested in is going into computer graphics to work as a 3d modeler/learn some programming, but I heard that only stem fields and business majors are worth it.
>>
>>18511493
>forcing me to go to college

Stopped reading.
>>
Don't fall for the STEM meme.
They aren't the only worthwhile career fields. If you're going to a trade school and a 2yr anyway, why not consider engineering for something like plastic injection molds?
I live in Assfuck, Nowhere and the mold designers at my job start at 25/hr, guaranteed 40hr/wk, full benefits, paid holidays, etc.
>>
>>18511493
1. You're a grown adult and you can decide if you are going to college
2. Once you're in college the 1st year is basically stuff everyone has to know to graduate. Since you have a year in college use that time to figure out your minor and major in that order because if you find your minor you can go to class for that in your 2nd year of college. After 2 years and a minor you like you should be able to know what you want to major in.
>>
>>18511505
I'm going as a mechanic, but it's mostly as a cover job that I wouldn't mind doing since I like working in the arts as a hobby. I thought about engineering, but I already figured I wouldn't cut it as an engineer.
>>
>>18511493
>but I heard that only stem fields and business majors are worth it.
You heard wrong. An education alone may not immediately get you through the door to a job, but without a degree that door won't even be open. Study what you're passionate about but your expectations realistic that it's not a magic wand to a career, which btw a stem or business degree isn't either.

Also your parents can't force you to do anything. If you don't want to go to school you don't have to, I'm sure it'll disappoint them and they'll stop supporting you but it is your life and your decision.

Are they going to pay for school? If so then there's really no reason to pass that up, but if they expect you to finance it on your own through loans you should think hard about it first, because as I said it may immediately lead to employment.
>>
>>18511507
>>18511521
The only major that I'm really interested in is computer graphics, but my biggest problem is that most of what I'm learning can just be learned on the computer. The only reason I'd ever go into college as one would be to make connections and get the degree. Otherwise, I don't know what to do.
>>
File: why major in math.png (469KB, 2548x1026px) Image search: [Google]
why major in math.png
469KB, 2548x1026px
>>18511563

Major in math. Pic related.
>>
>>18511505
>STEM meme
>graduate with a computer science degree and know your shit
>start at 75K right out of college easy
>20+ days of vacation
>free coffee and snacks
>good insurance
>401K and other benefits are a given
>your salary doubles in 10 years, if not soone

STEM sure is for suckers
>>
>>18511887
this guy is literally a genius. most people who major in math don't have the drive or ability to accomplish what he has. almost no math majors are going to be making 100K or more right out of college. most math majors have problems finding work. most people are mediocre at their area of concentration, obviously.
>>
>>18511894
The meme is when people say stem is the only area of study that leads to employment, like what op was told. Or that doing stem guarantees a job to anyone who graduates. No one is saying you can't get a job with stem.
>>
>>18511563

I am not a genius, and I'm, at best, a 6/10 programmer and a 6/10 mathematician.

Anyone can make math work, but you must have a plan. I like quoting the following blog because his experience 100% matches mine.

>http://timeblimp.com/?page_id=225&page=2.

>Physics/[MATH] isn’t an industry trade.
>This is probably obvious, but I like to hear myself talk, so I’m going to elaborate further.

>If you were to major in English, can you expect to leave school and get a job with a company doing “English”? >Will you be an intern at one of those giant “English” companies, pumping out barrels of “English” in giant “English” factories with lots of smokestacks?

>No, of course not — you get a job like journalism, editing, marketing, teaching, etc. where you apply the skills you learned in college to some specific task.
>“English” is a subject area you get to know well, but you have to also choose a skill, a trade, the thing you’re going to do that they pay you for.
>And it may therefore be a good idea to take a couple classes in journalism, get a teaching certificate, or otherwise supplement your major with an applied skill.
>It’s the same with physics/[MATH]
>>
>>18511934
>>18511907

Meant to reply to this, my bad
>>
>>18511493
>parent's want you to get a degree
>get the degree the fastest way possible
>happy parents
>goto trade school to learn interesting shit which also provides income
>happy anon
>>
Sounds like they want you to do something because you are directionless and probably spend your days doing nothing of importance but existing. So do something, anything and if they are good parents they will be proud. Be honest with yourself if you want a given life style that your passion may not provide the income you need so make the passion a hobby and the career something you can tolerate. Thats it!
>>
>>18511563

If you want to do computer graphics, keep in mind at its core, most of computer graphics is one or more of the following:

>Linear algebra
>Differential equations
>Numerical methods
>Data Structures and Algorithms
>Graphic Design

So the easiest way I could recommend you get a grasp on this is starting by finding a copy of

>Interactive Computer Graphics A Top-Down Approach with WebGL Edward Angel and Dave Shreiner Seventh Edition, Addison-Wesley 2015

And read and work through its examples. Any linear algebra you don't understand or haven't heard of, learn by reference from

>Introduction to Linear Algebra, a Textbook by Gilbert Strang

And somewhere between those two, you'd know enough to start, even if you were in high school or are currently living at home.
>>
>>18511493
My friend, this is my belief so don't take it as gospel but take it into consideration and think about it.
Many people will say follow your dreams and shit, but my advice is to pursue your dreams, but do it smartly.

If you know your dream career will not give you any financial advantages, then do not study it YET.
Get a degree in something you are somewhat interested in, even if you are not passionate about it, that will give you money. Why is this? Well this is so you can have a stable job and stand up for yourself financially.
Study something related to what you wanna study but doesn't give you much money or choices.
For example, if you like marketing, then study administration first (which is more broad) and THEN study marketing.
If you want to get into computer graphics, then study computer science to be a programmer and THEN study 3D modeling and shit.

In summary, study something related to what you really want to study that has a high field of opportunity and a decent amount of pay in the jobs, and you can pursue what your really want once you can financially stand up for yourself.
>>
>>18512083
>>18512038
I already told them I want to go to trade school, but they said that isn't enough, and that I need to get a degree.
>>
>>18512590
Then get a degree in something business related my man
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.