[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you teach a child to read? My cousin is going to the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: asssymphony.jpg (104KB, 573x368px) Image search: [Google]
asssymphony.jpg
104KB, 573x368px
How do you teach a child to read?

My cousin is going to the 4th grade this fall and he can barely make out a word and doesn't recognize half the alphabet. He has a terrible attention span and absolutely no interest in anything other than playing with toys or videogames, and does his best to avoid everything that has to involve reading.
How do we get this kid to start fucking reading?
Pic not related
>>
Late bloomer, perhaps?
>>
>>18506346
Not on fourth grade.

And, for OP-
I'd suggest forcing him with positive reinforcement.
"You won't get toys or vidya until you do X and X. Once you complete them, you'll get some candy too."
>>
>>18506335
just give him an alphabet and have like a jolly rancher on each letter and he can have them once he reads the letter
>>
>>18506356

What he said. Positive reinforcement.

If it worked for making my wife shut up during movies it'll work for the little guy.
>>
>>18506335
You have to make games out of it, because anything that smells like a lesson will turn him off instantly.

For example, Word Search puzzles. He doesn't have to know the words to be able to hunt for that combination of letters in the grid, and along the way he'll learn to recognize letters and words.
>>
>>18506335

I have Asperger's and ADHD, I said my first word when I was 4, but I also learnt to read around the same time.
4th Grade is a bit too late to be a late bloomer, he's likely twice the age I was; but have you considered he might have something like ADD? Perhaps you could then give him theraphy (my therapist taught me stuff whilst letting me play in a ball-pit, the movement helped me concentrate).
>>
>>18506335
He could have dyslexia
>>
>>18506395
Tell me your tale on how you got your wife too shut up durinf movies ?
>>
>>18506346
It's hard to say but I see a lot more kids who are unable to speak or read at an older age than I did in the past. It seems to get worse over time, parents are just oblivious to the milestones their children are supposed to reach and expect the schools to do everything for them except buy clothes for and feed the child.
>>
>>18506350
You shouldn't bribe children with food. If you're going to get it for them, surprise them with it.
>>18506520
This too, there are a lot of computer games for kids of all ages that are meant to be educational. I was playing Carmen Sandiego at OP's cousin's age.
>>
>>18506549
If he does, it's even more important to get on this ASAP.

Also, wtf are the parents doing about this? Why have you taken it upon yourself OP to do their job for them? Call them out on their shit.
>>
>>18506335
Same with my kid .. what actually helped his attention span/ability to focus and in effect learn stuff better, was starting to do precision shooting (friends idea) .. dunno if this will work for you but definitely an option.
>>
>>18506335

what are his interests? my nephew can't read until its about something he likes. then he'll sit down and read the whole thing.

generally dinosaurs and weird animals and survivalist shit.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.