[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else just fucking cripplingly depressed from working 40

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: work_week.png (98KB, 963x658px) Image search: [Google]
work_week.png
98KB, 963x658px
Anyone else just fucking cripplingly depressed from working 40 plus hours a week?

The more I think about it the more bullshit it seems to me. Honestly I could handle 40 hours a week the way it was originally intended.

When it was made it was during a time where a man working 40 hours a week could support his family while his wife was at home making sure everything was good. Chores were done and food was made, when you got home your time was yours.

Now these days you and your significant other need to work 8 hours a day(if you are lucky, I've been pulling 10's and 12's lately) and then you have to commute 30 plus minutes there and back. Then you get home and have to clean and cook and pack food for the next day. Throw in shopping, appointments and god forbid if you want to stay healthy working out every once in a while.

I feel like I don't even live anymore I just work and sleep then get one saturday a week to sorta enjoy myself.

I would far rather work 30 hours a week and live modestly only that's not even a possibility because any job that pays over minimum wage requires you to work 40 plus hours a week. So your only options are living a minimum wage poverty life or having money but no life to live.

And before people call me a lazy slob or whatever I'm 27 and working as a millwright making 80K a year(mostly due to OT).

I don't know what to do anymore but all I know is I'm not happy and I feel like my life is just slipping away.

What about you guys?
>>
Honestly I wish my company would adopt 4 10 hour shifts as a thing. But they like 5 8's because then they can pressure us to stay for 12's more often.

I just wish companies would be flexible with hours. "Hey don't want to work 40? Well ok, work 25, work 30, we'll just hire a few more people." But no can't do that because then they'd have to pay more in benefits. Only the mill I work for is racking in record profits and billions of dollars, somehow I think they could afford it.

I could handle working 30 a week and living off 50k I don't need 80k plus if I don't get to actually live.
>>
what you're saying can't really be argued with i guess, that is how things are here in america. i feel exactly the same way you do, but not much can really be done about it. not for the majority of us at least.
>>
>>18504361
dont the netherlands have like record suicides?
>>
Honestly to me it just seems like things have been slowly creeping back to the way things used to be.

Like I said it used to be a man working 40 hours a week could support a family. Now it takes 2 people working 40 hours just to afford a house. And most real jobs seem to expect you to work more than 40 quite frequently. I find myself working 50 hours pretty regularly plus 60 hours during crunch.

Feels like businesses are slowly turning up the temperature on us degree by degree like the whole boiling water and frog analogy.

I honestly worry for the future.
>>
File: IMG_9889.gif (2MB, 470x573px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9889.gif
2MB, 470x573px
>tfw 3 13h days
Sucks that everyone has to work so much because wages are low and things are expensive. Not going to start a political argument, but just stick it out. The more you save and invest, the sooner you can quit this rat race
>>
>>18504555
Yeah im not trying to make a political statement about this either. I don't care how its done I just want things to change for the better. I don't think there's just one easy way to do it.

Though fuck the uber uber uber rich though. People who have billions and billions of dollars are certainly a problem and no one needs that much wealth. However I don't think "LETS JUST GO FUILL (insert ideology here)" will fix it..
>>
>>18504564
All you can do is ride the wave until it crashes. Save save save so you can quit
>>
Same boat friendo

My plan is to keep battling as long as i can. Do everything possible and be honest about what you can do to make it sustainable and bareable. BE EFFECIENT with TIME and MONEY. no time wasted. Cook and clean like it was your job to stake out more time but dont cut corners. If you save money and time whilst keeping the boss happy, after a while it might be viable for a raise or to get some time off.

Get some time off a few times a year, this gives you something to look forward to even if you dont want to spend too much money on a holiday or something. You can spend time with friends, maybe go to the pub and have some leisure time.

>>18504555
This
>>
>>18504361
You need a release. I've been where you're at right now. Two times in my life actually, and once just very recently, but I've got the tools to manage it now. The worst thing you can do right now is not make a change and keep bottling your frustrations up or putting them to the side.

I used to drink and smoke a lot to cope with working long hours and I don't have to explain to you how that's a terrible idea. So the first time I hit that rough patch I hit it hard and I handled it very poorly. In retrospect it ended up being a good thing but only because I turned it into such. Suffice to say I walked out of my job at the time. That was me at 25

Recently at my current job I've been pulling 70 hour weeks for the past two months. Before that and now I've been handling the workload of literally 5-6 people since we had huge layoffs last year. I work in like 4 different departments and have become de facto manager of some of them. So lots of responsibility and stress of course. How do I get through it now? Well the paycheck is nice, but for me it's my release now. I work out, mostly strength and conditioning. So I hurt myself and I out of the gym for about a month and in that time all the shit from work hit me really hard. I started to feel what I assume is legit depression. I was getting super frustrated really easily and just generally miserable. I finally got back in the gym a few days ago and it's night and day difference in my attitude.

You gotta find a hobby or activity you're really passionate about and make that you're main focus. Have it be something you're constantly thinking about. I eat, drink, and sleep fitness.

tl;dr get a hobby you really really really enjoy
>>
>>18504607
Honestly I used to love the gym I was big into powerlifting. But once I started working more it became another thing that was keeping me from doing what I wanted to be doing. I guess I wasn't passionate about it.

Honestly I think I want to play d&d, I miss that hobby so much.
>>
work isnt depressing to me because im already cripplingly depressed. going to work is nice because im paid to do shit while thinking about my pathetic existence, which is what a lot of my time is spent on anyways
>>
File: 1498783353099.jpg (77KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
1498783353099.jpg
77KB, 650x650px
>>18504361
Afraid I can't help ya. I enjoy working and feel lost when I have too much time on my hands.

Feel like you have this out of perspective though. Having such a short work week is a privilege of the modern world, and especially the rich west. You get to work fewer hours than all of your ancestors did since the beginning of permanent civilization, while simultaneously enjoying a level of wealth and comfort that is far beyond the opulence even the most fantastic emperors of a thousand years ago could dream of. I don't think working yet fewer hours will make you any more satisfied, less bitter, or settle any of your existential dread.
>>
>>18504929
wealth and opulence are relative. Comfort and warmth and love and community are really what make people happy.

I would trade all my "wealth" for more time with friends and family.

And when you say we work shorter weeks than any of our ancestors that isn't necessarily true. Its true from the industrial age on. But depending on the area and time many people lived lives with more free time or arguable more free time. Farmers and large families living together got to do their days work amongst each other so they didn't feel removed from those they love. Furthermore their work felt less soul crushing as it was directly for themselves. They didn't slave away and see no fruits of their labour other than a pay check. I personally love working with my hands and things like woodworking and building furniture is relaxing to me. Working in a steel mill to make profits for people I will never meet , being surrounded by people I don't know or love, being yelled at by foreman who are in turn yelled at by higher ups all for the sake of more billions in someone elses pocket is not.

plus we have no record of the work week of ancient Greece or Rome or many other kingdoms.

Plus like I mentioned earlier of my recent ancestors sure I work about as much or possibly less than them. But when my great grandpa worked he fed and clothed and housed his entire family. I can barely get by just taking care of myself. Which is what I mean when I say wealth is relative. Sure I can buy cheap electronics from china but I still can barely afford to live. The price of life has drastically gone up in terms of housing and food and other necessities.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.