[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>doing social work >got decent marks in first semester

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

>doing social work
>got decent marks in first semester
>was going to todo business or social science
>career counselor (who referred me to social work) could not explain what I could do with it nor could the lecturers
>someone said to get STEM'd otherwise university is useless

what about teaching, law, business? they don't fall into the STEM category nor are they useless

so are non-stem degrees really useless? also does anyone know wtf I do actually do with social work?
>>
>>18501356
>what about teaching, law, business? they don't fall into the STEM category nor are they useless
OH, they are
>teaching
You max out at 60k a year to be a high school teacher, less for lower grades and most state college positions with a doctorate
>law
It's so fucked it isn't funny. You will never pay back your half million dollar loans.
>business
Enjoy middle management or even better, a job pushing papers that will be replaced by a couple scripts in the next few years.

If you get your MSW, you will do anything from social work to campaign planning to administration in the non-profit and for-profit sectors.
>>
>>18501356

Didn't you post this this morning?

Teaching isn't going to make you a lot of money unless you teach in college and get tenure. Law is a better choice, but you're going to be sidled with a lot of loans, and people end up unhappy in law school in a lot of cases.

Business is certainly adequate. You can even get your MBA and make a ton of money.

Don't go into STEM if you aren't good at it, or passionate about it. Every day will be a chore, and the money won't make up for the fact that you're wasting away your life doing something you hate.

If you're really good at something, you'll find a way to make money doing it.
>>
>>18501368
>MSW
well im doing honors if that is any better?
>>
I did law, though I'm not from the US. I could provide my two cents on it if you want.
>>
>>18501398
Undergrad is worthless for most fields outside of the shitty parts of stem like chemistry. Fuck me, time for the crash course your ass never got.

A masters is the new high school diploma.
>>
>>18501406
High school diploma?

Dunno how bad america is but in Aus having an atar is an achievement
>>
>>18501402
yes please go ahead
>>
>>18501429
Used to be, a high school diploma was the bare minimum entry point into most fields. A college degree set you apart from other job-seekers.

Nowadays, a college degree is the bare minimum to get on in most fields, and the market is absolutely saturated with college graduates, thereby making the degree on par in usefulness with a high school diploma.
>>
>>18502998
>Aus
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.