[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a restaurant manager and I just can't find good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (49KB, 736x488px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 736x488px
I'm a restaurant manager and I just can't find good employees or managers who are willing to work weekends. I get 10 applications a week and out of those I usually like 2. Out of those 2 usually one I onboard, but it never seems to work out, they always end up being too easily confused, not actually willing to work the hours I hired them for, or just plain too stupid. My Monday-Friday crew is fantastic we actually have the fastest speed of service and customer satisfaction ratings in our franchise (20 stores) but this weekend crew is just holding me back. Working more than one weekend shift a week isn't an option for me unfortunately. Any advice for a store manager regarding this?
>>
>>18500243

Do you have the ability to offer increased pay? That might help. What about interviewing some of the applicants with resumes you didn't like as much? Maybe they're better in person?

I'm telling you this though, you could offer me an extra $10k and I still wouldn't work weekends ever again. I did it early in my career and it was miserable.
>>
>>18500243
Why can't you rotate shifts? Talk to the weekday crew and tell them that half will work this weekend half the next weekend etc and then use those good crew members to train your new hires. Maybe promote one of the weekday kids if he's willing to work all weekends and put him in charge of the trainings. If no one is on board with the idea ask for volunteers with increased pay (if you have that ability) or another incentive, with the ones that have been forced getting nothing.
>>
Working weekends suck. Being out of sync with everyone else is like a slow form of torture.

The only way you get good employees to work shifts like that is to offer good pay or find a student who needs a part time job.

>they always end up being too easily confused
Then give them a better explanation. Things like this need to be ironed out in training, which could take weeks.

>not actually willing to work the hours I hired them for
Then be clearer during the interview of what hours they will be getting.

>or just plain too stupid.
Smart people don't have to work weekends. You're not going to get the cream of the crop for shitty schedules. Work with what you have and adjust your expectations.

Also what this guy said >>18500289

You need your strong team members to help bolster the weaker ones AND continue training new employees.
>>
>>18500260
This. If you want people to do undesirable jobs, and do them well - and working weekends is definitely undesirable - then you're going to need to offer them something in return.

(And to be clear, although I'm sure you're a good manager, that's not enough of an incentive. Money is.)
>>
>>18500243
listen fagget, anyone can do those jobs, a fucking monkey can. Just give a kid a chance.
>>
>>18501427
I've hired monkeys and they do shit work, so I fire them.
>>
>>18500243
trying paying more....
>>
I remember when working in fast food, the day shift workers were the best and night shift workers always had problems. I use to dread working night shifts because something always screws up and I had to deal with anger customers.
My manager(s) forced me to work weekend nights all the time, it sucked. They always tell me, it's mandatory for shift leads to work weekends. As for hiring, I remember one RGM said "you will have to shift through a lot of shit before finding the right employees."
>>
>>18500355

This.

That's the thing about businesses. You seem to mistakenly think you have absolute control.

But the fact is, there are better options out there.

Shit, I'd sooner go homeless than say, work at one of amazons logistics ops, with how they treat their employees. No pay is worth that as far as I'm concerned.

However, I do work weekends, every weekend.
It's not a problem for my because I'm a loner,
I don't go out at the weekends much anyway.

But then you got parents who want to see there kids, people who want to be social.
There aren't alot of people like me who would be willing to work every weekend.

My advice, treat advertising this job like marketing. Who's your target audience?
Loners, people who won't want to be out each weekend, people who don't have kids. People who may have social anxiety even (unless they would be interacting with customers, obviously) who'd just focus on the job in the back.
They struggle to get a job due to the lack of social skills, and will pretty much just do what they are told.
They earn money, have a fairly light and breezy interview process, work weekends.
They'd take it, because it's better for there lifestyle than other jobs are offering; extensive interviews, lots of social interaction, working on busiest days with full staff.
>>
>>18501677
This. Advertise your job openings in introvert groups on fbook/forums, groups etc. Be prepared to pay more to people like this guy - competent and willing to work weekends.
>>
>>18500243

Try some senior citizens. They are generally much more reliable than younger folks these days.
>>
>>18502059
Not the ones looking for the shitty shifts at bad restaurants.
>>
>>18500243
Two separate issues here:

1. Finding people for weekend shifts. Make it clear in your ads and to applicants that that is all you're offering right now and, for their own sake, they should look elsewhere if they don't want those hours.

2. Beginners too easily confused. Set up a formal training day before throwing them into the pool. Have them shadow and assist a staff member for the first day after thet (and pay the staff member a little extra for that day)
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.