[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"So I'm interested in either Business or Sociology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

"So I'm interested in either Business or Sociology if I was to study at uni" - I said to the career's counselor, she advised me what ever I do "dont do business, it has a high rat of students going halfway through the course and not finishing" so she advised me either doing social science or preferably social work and said by talking to me she thinks social work.

She did not give me any clarification as to what I can do with a social science degree or social work degree, she just said todo it... why is she so vague and blunt..

>sign up to social work
>complete first semester, love it so far

I love learning about policies, reforms and laws etc. refugees and poverty is quite tough.....none of the lecturers have said "this is what you do .....'

so what do you do with these degree? im considering changing to a bachelor of arts....or business
>>
get stem'd
>>
>>18499853

I can't give you a 100% answer about what a social worker does. I would have to Google it, which is what I recommend you do for your major and see what careers (both directly and indirectly) you will be qualified for.

But I really, really want to emphasize that you shouldn't go into a major you don't like unless you're just obsessed with money more than anything in the world. I work in business (marketing to be specific), and I constantly dream and wish I had continued on to be an English or Journalism major. I guess I'm lucky enough to be pretty talented at what I do, and I make tons more money at my age than I ever expected to, but sitting around numbers all day is soul crushing work, and I'm so drained and exhausted by the end of the day that I have no room for these passions.

It's Sunday, and I'm going to spend the entire day dreading work tomorrow, drinking until I pass out. I'm envious of the copywriters in my department that make about half of my income, but get to spend all day writing and using their creativity... A dream I'm accepting at my age is just over, and I may as well work my ass off and retire and maybe buy myself a Bugatti to drive to the grocery store when I'm 50.

Last point: I can almost always tell when some business major kid decided to take that route because of the almighty dollar but is actually not passionate or talented in the field at all. They flame out and have to be replaced.
>>
>>18499888
out of time?
>im 27
I dont believe in "its too late"
Thats why im not slaving away in facotry for 10 hours a day,
>>
>>18499916

Realistically? Yes, out of time... Or at least out of reasonable circumstance to change careers. I'm 30, have a mortgage to pay, and make over six figures. I have a 7 year career in digital marketing, and have been working for 12 years of my life. No one is going to look down at my resume, with no portfolio, and hire me to be a copywriter. Even if they were, I couldn't handle making $30-50k without downgrading my life.

As far as writing a book or something goes, work exhausts me too much to keep focused on any passion projects like that. When I get home at night, it's dinner, maybe a little TV/vidya, and bed. Even less time if I were in a relationship at the moment.

I've made my bed, now I'll sleep in it.
>>
Going to uni for anything other than a STEM is a waste of your time. Volunteer more and learn on the job in your non-STEM career.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.