[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello anons :) I need your help I'm dealing with a dilemma

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

Hello anons :) I need your help

I'm dealing with a dilemma that's taking a toll on my physical health. Every morning I wake up with a knot in my stomach. I'm already a 22 (almost 23) yr old female and I am trying to figure out what to do with my life. I have decided on computer science or engineering. I withdrew from engineering because I figured I would like computer science more but now I'm regretting my decision because there's more opportunities for engineers. If I went with engineering I'd wish to be an electrical or computer engineering which scares me too because they don't have as many jobs as mechanical, civil, chemical...

I love physics, math, chemistry and I'm best at theoreticals which is why I'm moving towards electrical/computer. I always had engineering in the back of my mind but it scared me because I got the highest marks in my classes in high school yet I worked so damn hard and stressed to the max. For example I had 89% in physics but I didn't study for my final exam and I got 50% in it. Anyway I applied and got accepted into engineering I backed out and now I told them I changed my mind and she told me I'm on the waiting list so I only have a month to hope that somebody will cancel and I'll be put in....if that doesn't happen they told me I'd automatically go into my second choice (compsci).

Well at this point I am feeling old. Should I go in compsci for the year if I'm not accepted or should I take yet another year off? If I dont get accepted back into engineering and take this year off I really want to make it count. I want to make as much money as I can to pay for future student loans... yet the highest experience I have is waitressing/bartending. I really want to come out with less debt so I'll be applying for scholarships, internships, doing first year at community college, barely spending anything. I have no idea what to do and how likely I'll get in...

If you read my whole story, thank you so much
>>
I didn't understand everything, since I never went to university. But I will say this.

Do what you WANT.
Do what you are most interested in. Do what you are more passionate about.

I'm 26 years old. I only just recently decided on what to do with my life. Currently, I have a job making $60,000/yr. I'm about to quit that job, to be unemployed for 6 months while I go through training for my desired career. Once I start that career, I'll be making half of my current salary. Only after 5 years or so will I finally be back at the same pay rate.

People look at me like I'm nuts. But, I want to be an airline pilot. So I'll go through the pain for it because it's something I want. I'd rather make less doing that, than make more doing a job I don't care for
>>
>>18493561
At this point am I too old to be thinking about beginning a bachelors?
>>
>>18493570
That's the thing...I imagine liking the actual career of compsci more then engineering because building software/websites sounds fun and I took some free courses about compsci and I thought it was amazing. At the same time I lmagine liking the schooling of engineering because I love my physics and I love doing huge math/physics problems because of that feeling after you accomplished it and it turns out you were right. I also love creativity and design which both would have I guess. The one thing I would dislike about engineering is the boring side like cost estimates, efficiency, etc. For my career I want to be able to create something challenging and complex and afterwards say to myself 'wow I made that?'.
>>
>>18493570
I'm glad you didn't fall into the pressure of society. I agree with your thinking, money means nothing compared to happiness. I'd live in a shed if it meant I was able to do the thing I love...hell I plan on living in an a tiny home because big houses are overrated. I was initially pressured to go into nursing because I'm a female and thank god I didn't haha my passion lies in math and science
>>
File: IMG_2959.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2959.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>18493587

Well if you do like engineering, and you think you'd enjoy it minus a few down sides. Then that might be a good path.

For example, I really like flying airplanes. But there are some things which I very much dislike. Like the ground portion (weight and balance calculations, Flight Planning). But I don't let those few down sides scare me away from a good career path
>>
>>18493614
True, I'm just wondering how much of that would surround my career. I guess I'd have to talk to an engineer to find out haha. Also I envision myself creating software/websites more than physical objects like cars, houses etc because in my way of thought
-there are no limits to creation of software on the computer while with engineering you are limited to the laws of physics.

Yet I did enjoy learning how a generator works in physics class haha. I was told it is easier to start with engineering then go to compsci but there's a chance I can't start engineering this year.

Also a compsci career seems impossible to have where I live....all compsci jobs are in cities and out cities average house prices are around a million due to foreign investors.
>>
>>18493630

Just don't scare yourself thinking it's impossible anon. Many people have done the same path, and things work out in the end.

Just do some soul searching and find which one you would be happiest, and pursue it
>>
Electrical has more opportunities than mechanical. I graduated with a 2.9 GPA and recieved 5 job offers, it's engineering if you have an internship you'll get hired.
>>
>>18493640
If you don't mind me asking, what do you do in a work day as an engineer?
>>
can i hijack this thread??
what job do u do if u don't wanna work at all?
like not at all
>>
>>18493656
Why aren't you making a new thread? Lol

You can be a security guard or a librarian.
>>
I do EMC testing but had an offer for controls engineering which is programming ladder logic. Also got an offer for managing a steel plants cauldrons for smelting.
>>
>>18493670
Is your day filled more with design and research or budgeting etc?
>>
There is some research involved since every product my company makes is for different companies which means different specifications. Some design is involved to create parts for our tests. It all depends on what field you go into when you graduate and what you want to do.
>>
>>18493561
>Well at this point I am feeling old

You're not old and you can still do pretty much anything you want. Seriously.
Just choose something and commit.
>>
>>18493660
cause this is job related, and i don't wanna kill off a thread for a simple question that i don't really expecting answers.
>>
Loving all the "follow your passion" replies in here.

Job satisfaction depends on a lot of things and passion is not as important as you might think. Passion is good to get you started along a path but what will keep you interested is having a sense of growth, autonomy and a feeling that you are making an impact. Getting those things usually involves choosing something and sticking with it even when things aren't as glamorous, as long as it's not a complete dead end job. NOBODY will hand you a job you'll instantly love, those places are sought after and you have to prove your worth it to get there. Which means doing the opposite of what most people do when they hit a roadblock or feel like they're stuck in a menial low paying job.
By all means give yourself a good head start by choosing something you think fits you, but know that whatever you pick it's not going to be magically great. Especially when starting.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.