[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it good to hide my mental health problems from my (long-distance)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

Is it good to hide my mental health problems from my (long-distance) girlfriend?

Like, I'm really not in a good place, but neither is she and I want to be a positive influence on her.

Like, I'm constantly hiding just how fucked I am (like I'll say I'm seeing a counsellor and psych, but I'll do my best to hide the symptoms) and I just want her to be okay.

I feel like on the one hand if I push through it on my own she might feel hurt that I hid things from her, but on the other hand she might feel even worse if I tell her I was really close to offing myself.
>>
>Is it good to hide my mental health problems from my (long-distance) girlfriend?

Usually no. Especially if you expect to be with her a while.

>Like, I'm really not in a good place, but neither is she and I want to be a positive influence on her.

You're setting her up for failure because you uplifting her spirits now making her think she's got a good "got his shit together" kind of guy is going to slam her on her face when she realizes you're fucked up too (if she finds out).

If she doesn't find out before y'all break up, then fuck it.
>>
>>18490914
How long have you been dating for?
>>
>>18490939
Yeah that's what I was thinking, was just worried I was being selfish, she knows I'm not well together at all, I just got out of Detox for alcoholism and she knows it.
>>18490978
7 months
>>
>>18490914
Just tell her you have some mild problems, ease it it.
Some of this stuff could freak people out.
>>
>>18490914
>Is it good to hide my mental health problems from my (long-distance) girlfriend?
Share enough so that she has a rough idea of that you're going through, but not enough to where she feels burdened or responsible for you. Something along the lines of "Hey I'm going through x,y,z. I've done this and this about it. I've also found that this and this helps... etc."

>I want to be a positive influence on her.
>I just want her to be okay.

Don't take on her burdens. Don't try to fix her. She needs to fix yourself. Help her fix herself by fixing you. Help by example.

>I feel like on the one hand if I push through it on my own she might feel hurt that I hid things from her, but on the other hand she might feel even worse if I tell her I was really close to offing myself.

Regardless of what she feels: better yourself. If the only way you guys relate is by how 'fucked up' you two are then when one of you is trying to better themselves you will no longer relate. Try to relate to her not in the 'were both fucked up' way but by the 'were both on the path to bettering ourselves' way.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.