[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>20 years old >Only have a job because my dad uses me as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 1483898778961.png (180KB, 332x346px) Image search: [Google]
1483898778961.png
180KB, 332x346px
>20 years old
>Only have a job because my dad uses me as a laborer
>Think I should really voluntarily take a walk some-day, but then, I realize I have no where to walk to, and American life is, by nature, very isolating
>Never walked through neighborhood I've lived in entirety of life
>Have no-one to talk to because of this
>Finally re-connected with high-school friends over discord, and I was handed a rude awakening as to what human conversation with people that are 20 actually is

I don't really know what to do anymore.

Every-time I do something I'm scared of doing, it seems there was a reason I didn't do it in the first place. I didn't want to believe that I became a shut-in because the outside world wasn't engaging to me, but it seems to be exactly the case.

I've never had a girlfriend before, but I don't think getting one will help me at all.

I know my inactivity is pulling me into a mire, but I can't see the way-out. My life will ultimately be completely out-of-balance if I continue down the road I'm walking. The worst part is I don't know if that's such a bad thing.

The only thing I can say with certainty is that I must learn how to drive.
>>
>>18488060
>I didn't want to believe that I became a shut-in because the outside world wasn't engaging to me, but it seems to be exactly the case.

Is the world not engaging? Or do you have trouble engaging? Those are not the same things, so think carefully about your answer.
>>
>>18488071
I'd say it's actually both.

Despite not going outside much, I know exactly what will happen if I do X, Y, and Z when I do.

I've come to discover that the average adult person doesn't interest me after I graduated High-school. Everybody is concerned with sexual intercourse, etc. I only had 2 friends because of this, and they were both as mentally-quick as me.

I'm more mentally activated by browsing 4chan and playing video-games than anything else. Working in carpentry sometimes feels like a form of mental death for 10 hours a day despite the fact that I'm interacting with other people in this world.

I still sometimes have neurotic tendencies despite all of this, and I'm very mal-adapted because of my natural inclination to isolation.

I once panicked when I have to fill-out paper work and be self-sufficient, but I believe that time has come to pass as I've started to finally detach from reality and the people around me.
>>
>>18488060
> Never walked through neighborhood I've lived in entirety of life
That is fucking weird.

> The only thing I can say with certainty is that I must learn how to drive.
Or you can move to Europe or elsewhere to work if you have decent education.

It won't solve how people after 20 are still mostly assholes and idiots, but you will not necessarily need a car and you probably will walk in some part of your neighbourhood.

Not that learning how to drive is hard. You can get a license in the USA with like five hours of effort or something.
>>
>>18488105
>Despite not going outside much, I know exactly what will happen if I do X, Y, and Z when I do.

>they were both as mentally-quick as me.

What a surprise, arrogance. Dude, you have two friends, your hobbies are "4chan and vidja", and only have a job cause your daddy gives it to you. I don't think you are in any position to look down on people.
>>
>>18488121
Intelligence is for real.
You can see the lack of it in the mentally retarded and slow.

I saw what happened when me and my friends were pitted against an entire classroom in a game of strategy. That's the only reason I can say we were smart.

We were in the 110-120 IQ range.
>>
>>18488134

Well, at least we finally found your problem.

Now let me ask you a question, IQ: how come you can't solve this problem yourself? Dumber people than you figure out how to get a job. Get friends. A GF. Go out and have fun. So why can't you?
>>
>>18488105
> Everybody is concerned with sexual intercourse, etc.
Well, yea, healthy people generally are. I figure maybe you are unhealthily fat or something else like that that suppresses your sexual urges?

Would also explain a few more other things if you were & you might want to work on that, if so.
>>
>>18488148
Intelligence isn't a measure of social or financial success. It's just pattern recognition.

Other people don't see what I see because of this. They're more concerned with tangible things like money, women, etc.

There are a lot of people with high intelligence are 20 year old virgins.

Bobby Fischer died a clown.
>>
>>18488161
>It's just pattern recognition.

And how come you don't recognize the pattern to financial or social success?
>>
>>18488169
I recognize the pattern to social success, but I don't want it because I can't connect with the people I'm trying to form a relationship with. I'd rather have one or two good friends that I can understand and enjoy speaking with.

The pattern to financial success is hard-work, mental-labor and studying. You don't have to be smart to become rich; just driven to get there.
>>
>>18488185

And are you driven?
>>
>>18488201
The answer is no, and I don't see why I should be.

The wealthy are wealthy because they want power or material things. I don't particularly want either one of those.

I'm slated to live a decent life off of 40-60k a year installing cabinets, and I can eventually raise a small-family off of that if I want to, but I have problems with that conservative route in life as I don't believe in a god.

I still don't know enough about life to decide if I should bring another into it.

I suppose this is a good reason to get a girlfriend. I need to feel to learn.
>>
>>18488220

What's the point of your OP? You are asking us what to do when you already have a life plan. Whether I agree with it or not doesn't matter.

Why are you here? You want us to tell you what an awesome plan you have? That's not what /adv/ is for.
>>
>>18488227
It does matter if you agree with what I intend to do or not.

I need to hear issues in my brain.
My mind only has one perspective.
>>
>>18488236

>My mind only has one perspective.

And in this case, it's dead wrong. As I said, you are way to arrogant for someone that has nothing to his name but a boardgame victory in class once. You don't sound 20, you sound 15. You need to grow up.
>>
>>18488250
>board-game victory

The entire basis of intelligence is founded off of the ability to solve problems in a system.

IQ tests are just puzzles on paper, but they predict so many things about the direction entire lives will take.

Being a successful chess player isn't a matter of hubris. It's a matter of working memory.

I understand where you're coming from, but I believe you just hate the concept of IQ.

I believe the usage of the phrase "grow-up" is an inability to strike at the heart of an issue.

There's something here that can be classified, rooted-out, and diagnosed that you can't put into words.
>>
I was you like, 5-6 years ago and I didn't get much better til last year or so. Learnt to drive and trying to get life together now. It's hard - I wish I'd started earlier but I don't think I had the drive and was incredibly disillusioned with the world til then. Sorry for ranting - onto your situation:

It's good that you've reconnected with your high-school friends, but try to connect to other people too. "Le Leddit" of your city is a good place to start (I've also heard things about /soc/, meetup.com etc.). Most people that visit those sites are actually just looking to have a good time and don't care about where you're from, what you've done in life etc. If you're honest with them - you'll have a good time too. That's a great way to make friends dude - just go online, find a meetup and go. If you have any hobbies at all, then it's even easier. Could be as simple as watching anime or playing board games. In short - most people are often looking for a way to detach from reality too, and most people aren't as dumb as they act. They have their own life philosophies and live by them - sometimes choosing to act a fool.

Worst case scenario - you live in an isolated town with farmland and national parks everywhere - go on a hike dude. Make a habit of exercise (the walk was good, make a habit of it! Even if it's just for 20 minutes a day) and reading books in your spare time. Modern classics can really stimulate your mind, and you can either get e-books or go to the library. Driving - same deal, work on it daily when you have time. Try to keep some sort of schedule. It sounds like you have a lot to get on with in your life, but no motivation to do it, rather. But trust me on this one - the sooner you face your demons, the sooner your life will start looking up. Don't be afraid to ask for help either. How's your home life? Teachers? Mentors? Friends? Sometimes, just talking about it is helpful, but don't complain about the hard stuff. Talk about things that interest you.
>>
>>18488294
>There's something here that can be classified, rooted-out, and diagnosed that you can't put into words.

I'll try a second time. What do you have to offer for yourself beyond a plan and a classroom anecdote?

You admit looking for a job, making friends, and even filling paperwork are difficult tasks for you, right? So what is your intelligence worth if you can still do nothing with it?
>>
>>18488302
It's worth nothing as I'll likely do nothing with it, but it's also the reason I can't think like all of the people around me.

Lets get one thing clear:

I don't see myself as more valuable than other human beings, but I'm also very alone because I can't really connect to most people.

There are too many people that have no desire to talk about what they value, and those that do value, to me, all of the wrong things in life. Some are probably smarter than me, but their brains are wired differently.

I live in a society where it's normal to have no interest in the feelings of other people. It's normal to not care about others and be fickle with who you're loyal to.

This is the reason I have so much difficulty in making real friends. I've only ever had one or two, and it's the primary reason I place so much in the lives of familial members.
>>
>>18488359
>I don't see myself as more valuable than other human beings

> those that do value, to me, all of the wrong things in life.

You are not more valuable, but they are just "wrong" in the way they live their life.

>I live in a society where it's normal to have no interest in the feelings of other people. It's normal to not care about others and be fickle with who you're loyal to.

You are not more valuable, but you are one of the few real loyal and sensitive people in your society.

Hey, maybe you don't see yourself as "more valuable", that I can believe. Your self esteem seems to be rather small. But you do look down on people. You are dissing them right now. It's not about intelligence, it's about you thinking they are not worth your time.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.