[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This isn't really an important thread I'm just curios.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2611.jpg (104KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2611.jpg
104KB, 1000x1000px
This isn't really an important thread I'm just curios. My family has had this guitar for basically my entire life. It's a really bad one and no one In my entire family knew how to play it. I picked it up one day and within hours I was playing guitar, a few tabs from Metallica and a few chords. Today I'm pretty good at guitar in my opinion I can play a ton of stuff a few full songs, etc. won't bore you with the details. Just a few days ago I picked up a keyboard (piano) for the first time and actually tried it out, yet again none of my family knows how to play. Within a few hours again I was able to play the full song Imagine, the beginning of fringe (tv show), the beginning of 1000 miles, and more. I don't know if I'm "gifted" with a musical talent or what's up but apparently according to my brother within 1 hour of the piano I was able to do more than him in 1 year of lessons. I don't see how because what I did was literally so easy to me. Should I try to make a career of music? What should I do with this and is it even anything special at all?
>>
>>18487982
Do you have autism?
>>
>>18488017
No anon I do not have autism.
>>
You're not gifted, you're just not retarded. If you did this by ear and not by looking up the notes/tabs, you have perfect pitch, but it's pretty common so don't feel special.
>>
Hi anon. I would describe myself as quite intelligent, at least above average. I've always found it quite easy to determine relationships within systems and been drawn to optimising them. I've always enjoyed new knowledge and I'm prone to obsession though the target of my obsession is prone to rapid change as I often get bored when the thrill of rapid initial progression from having no clue what I'm doing to average/ok is replaced by the slower grinding reward of small incremental improvement from good to excellent.

I picked up a bass guitar at age 16 and got good enough to play in a band within two weeks. I switched onto guitar and ended up getting a scholarship to study music at 19. I played upright bass as my principle and trombone as second. Up until the age of 28 I was self employed as a musician and through that time I could pick up anything and get a song out of it almost immediately.

Music is just physics. In western music the relationship between intervals constrains everything and makes styles very paint by numbers. If you understand this and can see the relationships and patterns everything else is just dexterity and muscle memory trained through repetition.

That said, there is a huge difference between being able to carry a tune on an instrument and being a master of it. Virtuosity requires many years of constant practice to achieve and this cannot be done without dedication. You could argue that you actually want a measure of stupidity or stubbornness to do this, I certainly got bored of most instruments once I surpassed good and only could really be described as exceptional on the double bass.

If you are considering it as a career think about how much networking you need to do to make it work. Creative roles rely on networking. Think about if you'd enjoy the reality of the average working day in the area you'd wish to work in. Image is unfortunately very important as the preconceptions of others will define what gigs you can land no matter talent.
>>
>>18488095
Wow! Thank you for that very much. I'm going to head off 4chan now, I really appreciate your comment anon keep it up.
>>
Bro, even a monkey can play pop tunes in under an hour. It's literally the musical equivalent of reading a book for toddlers.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.