[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get rid of stuff and live a more minimalist lifestyle,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_5271.jpg (824KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5271.jpg
824KB, 1024x683px
I want to get rid of stuff and live a more minimalist lifestyle, but when I go through things, I can barely get rid of anything (besides trash) because something "might have a future use", or has emotions and memories attached to it which I would feel terrible for getting rid of. Does this sound like more of a mental problem? I feel like having less will help me feel better, but i'm not sure if i'm just trying to put a bandaid over the real problem. pic semi related, not nearly that bad though.
>>
>>18485111

its not a mental problem if its not even as bad as in that pic. people need to stop thinking that anything they arent perfect at is suddenly a 'mental problem'.

get a friend to help you organize and promise that they are the ones who decide what stays and what goes. you can argue the point like 'oh i need this because of X reason' and if they agree you can keep it, and if not it goes in the charity box, the trash box, or the storage box.

but yeah putting all your stuff in some rental garage might help you out OP
>>
>>18485119
>its not a mental problem if its not even as bad as in that pic. people need to stop thinking that anything they arent perfect at is suddenly a 'mental problem'.

I disagree. The mentality OP described is how most hoarders begin to have an issue. Hoarding doesn't start out buried neck-deep in shit, it starts with emotional attachment to objects that are otherwise not considered to be of sentimental value.

I had a serious hoarding problem when I was younger. Mine stemmed from depression, and it was so bad that I was actually defecating in my room for years. It became a biohazard with all the moldy shit, old food caked on dishes, etc.

I'm better now, years later, still depressed but no longer living in my own filth. I strongly urge OP and anyone else itt with hoarding tendencies to get help as early as possible.
>>
File: minimalist-bedroom-design-ideas.jpg (208KB, 1200x628px) Image search: [Google]
minimalist-bedroom-design-ideas.jpg
208KB, 1200x628px
i did this at the start of the year and it felt great, having too much shit around is just bad for your mindstate (call it Feng shui or w/e)

i wouldnt call it a mental problem unless it's extreme hoarding where you don't even bother to take out the trash

trust me, your whole vibe will change once you wake up in a tidy bedroom with white walls, natural light and plants around
>>
>>18485111
My aged mother was bordering on being an obsessive hoarder; at best, she was just unable to decide to get rid of things. Her garage was so full that she couldn't park in it anymore, which was dysfunctional, so I told her that we were cleaning it out.

I created a rule for her:
>if you haven't physically touched a thing in three years, you don't need it for the future, so it's going in the trash unless it has sentimental value.

We got rid of most of the stuff in the garage; she then had room to park, get in and out of the car comfortably, and even have a passenger get in and out of the car.

Just invent a rule. If you haven't used a thing in X months/years, get rid of it, unless your sentiment makes you keep it. You'll be surprised how much stuff you haven't actually used/touched in a long time, and how little you need that "for future use" stuff. If you haven't used it in three years, you won't use it in the coming three either.
>>
>>18485155
Anon is right, but he left out something important: chicks dig a tidy apartment.
>>
i have the rule that if i haven't used something since a year, it has to go.
i also frequently go trough my belongings and sort put anything hta doesn't work anymore, that i donmt want anymore, etc.

there's a good book that will get you motivated to clean out all the unnecessary stuff. it's called the "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying".
>>
Post a pic of an item you feel might be useful, and we'll tell you why to get rid of it. One pic at a time, short description of it, unless it is obvious.
>>
>>18485191
>>18485157
The "haven't used something since a year" rule is good since it provides an objective criterion. You'll feel more confident about getting rid of it. You haven't gotten rid of things because you weren't confident enough to get rid of them.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.