[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My wife passed away six months ago. I was very close to her family,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1496293189927.gif (4MB, 272x272px) Image search: [Google]
1496293189927.gif
4MB, 272x272px
My wife passed away six months ago. I was very close to her family, so much so they bought "us" a house to live in and bought "me" some equipment to aid my company (a $6,000 label printer, steel tables, etc).

When she passed away, they became very cold towards me. They stopped talking to me almost immediately and as of last week they're demanding I leave the house they bought "us". It was joint in my wife's and her parent's name, I wasn't on any paperwork despite paying the mortgage, bills, taxes for close to nine years. They also want the equipment they bought me, claiming it was not a gift but a loan (???).

I feel like I may have put too many eggs into one basket and now sure what to do now.
>>
>>18483776
Lawyer up asap.

Don't you inherit your wife's part of the house? And you can say the equipment was a gift of her parents to your wife, which would also make it yours now, I assume?
>>
Did your wife leave a will? Even if you're not on the contract, if she was and died without a will then in most places that would mean you'd inherit her estate.

As for the office equipment, unless there was a contract they can't sue for it. However, given that they've been very good for you and are probably just grieving or some shit I'd offer to pay them for the cost + some interest if I could. That's probably worth more to them than a steel table.
>>
Maybe you should have thought of that before you murdered your wife.
>>
>It was joint in my wife's and her parent's name

you sound like a freeloader, why didnt you buy the other half, if you did then why arent you owning half of it

anyway, i believe half of it is yours now, so then cant just make you leave
>>
lawyer up and ignore the feckless shitposting above.

sorry for your loss, by the way.
>>
Did you ask them why they are so cold towards you all of sudden? I mean sometimes talking can help make things clear.
>>
dont you have common law and spousal inheritance laws? you would automatically get claim on the house as a spouse or atleast 50%
>>
>>18483828
This one alone is an intelligent and useful answer.
>>
Don't know the law in your country but here the spouse can't be kicked out of the house for a year after the inheritance was open. Check out of your laws for that too. Any household appliances and mobile goods that were part of the household and used with your spouse for everyday living is yours and they have no right over it. The equipment they bought...do they have any paperwork on it? It could be considered a gift (look it up). Get evidence you paid for the taxes.
>>
>>18483828
If they didn't have children his wife's parents are entitled to part of the inheritance (this is the law in some places of the world). OP should say where he's from, for any concrete legal advice.
>>
If you've lived in the house for nine years and have helped pay for the mortgage/taxes you have legal grounds to keep it if they sue. You were the spouse of one of the owners, plus proof of ownership does lean in the way of the person who has been living in the house more often than not.

Depending on where you live you also have legal grounds to stand tight for a while while you figure shit out because of squatters laws.

In regards to the equipment, I'd pay them back for it I guess? If you don't have the 6k sell some stuff or try to tell them you will pay them back when you can.

Tbh this more than anything sounds like you need to have a long conversation with the family, maybe even with a lawyer present to figure shit out. It could be that they're just in pain over losing their daughter, or it could just be that they never liked you and only did shit for you because of her. Lord only knows and you will have to talk to them to figure it out.
>>
The best thing you can do is talk to a lawyer. Explain the situation and find out what your rights are
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.