[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I become more social? I'll be starting my second

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: 1470181342922.jpg (58KB, 567x604px) Image search: [Google]
1470181342922.jpg
58KB, 567x604px
How do I become more social?

I'll be starting my second year of college and I don't want to be as alone as I was my first year. The thought of trying to talk to people I don't know with the intention of making friends makes me anxious. The anxiety and fear of embarrassment is what stops me.
Last semester I pledged a fraternity which helped with socializing but I eventually dropped because it was too degrading and I'm not sure I want to go through with that again.
My few hobbies aren't very social ones and I've looked through all the clubs and organizations my school offers and none of them interest me.

I've thought about trying to get a prescription for someone kind of social anxiety medication like xanax.

Help plox
>>
File: Screenshot_20170623-182836.png (4MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170623-182836.png
4MB, 1440x2560px
Don't get a script, ittl just make it worse in the long run. I was a lot like you my first few years of college, but now I have a fairly large friend base that I engage in actively. I'm just gonna keep it simple because that's what socializing is, so don't over think it. Just go up and talk to people, chances are they feel more awkward than you when you approach them so just fake the confidence until you slowly but surely come out of your shell and realize how piss easy it is.

Social skills are what the name implies, a skill. You're not going to be amazing from the start, no one ever is and it takes practice. It can be difficult at first but it gets progressively easier over time until you become adept at it and from there on out it's a cake walk.

I wish you luck in your efforts anon, I can understand how hard it is to socialize at first but it is a vital skill that will improve your life many times over if you learn how to do properly now while you're still young. Just remember not to take it too seriously, as with anything in life.
>>
>>18483088
It really does take practice anon, I made no new friends my first year in college but after a while I think I got the hang out it. Truthfully, the anxiety never really goes away, but it gets better. You've just gotta go out and do it. Faking confidence helped for a while, but it isn't something to rely on at all times.
>>
>>18483088
Say something to everyone you meet. Say hello or how's it going in an offhand way to everyone you come across. It's goofy as fuck at first, but it works.
>>
>>18483088
These are just some quick tips:

Offer substance in conversations – build off of statements made by other person.
Stop filtering everything – feel free to say what’s on your mind.
Adjust your brain to the situation – scream to get a short burst of brain energy. Get out of your head.
Show expression and attitude. It makes you more comfortable.
>>
>>18483238
This seems like a good way to overthink the situation.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.