[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you emotionally support your girlfriend/boyfriend when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 9atdhfyo3eay.jpg (28KB, 640x519px) Image search: [Google]
9atdhfyo3eay.jpg
28KB, 640x519px
How do you emotionally support your girlfriend/boyfriend when they have depression without pressuring them to get help or babying them? I've never been in this situation before.
>>
>>18482832
you don't. you pressure them to get help.
>>
>>18482836
You beat me to it

If the person spans to the "pressure" of getting help, he/she more than definitely needs it
>>
>>18482836
>>18482839

What do I do when they're against treatment and don't think it would help?
>>
Get out. I dated a bipolar, insanely suicidal meme, who tried to kill herself twice when I tried to leave. If he/she doesn't want to get help, yet can't sort him/herself out, he or she is only going to bring you to that level eventually.
>>
>>18482869
nag the shit out of them until you get tired of it and break up
>>
>>18482869
Show them the consequences of it. I.e. my gf said to me one day that she's crash her car to kill herself. I told her that she wouldn't have the balls to hit hard enough to actually die, would probably end paraplegic, unable to wipe her own ass, burdening everyone who loved her, being judged by everyone who knew about it, and, at the very least, lose her car. Or that I'd just get tired of her being depressive and not getting help and dump her ass at some point.

Depressive people are unaware of the real life consequences of acting on their depressive toughts like attempting suicide or even from just winging it without making an effort to get better.
>>
>>18482869
Dump them.
>>
>>18482917
I thought about it but it's an asshole move and I don't want to lose them either.
>>
>>18482832
>without pressuring them to get help.

Ill be frank. And i do have some solid knowledge of psychology before you think im a mental illness neighsayer...

Your SO's mental problems are entitely their problem. If it is indeed medical, they need a doctor. Be it a physician or a psychiatrist, the brain is chemicals and electricity. It is understood, and it can be helped by trained experts.

Having said that... The moment.. The very moment... Your SO refuses any kind of help, it immediately becomes completely their fault, and even the smallest amount of whining or complaining is attention seeking and self serving.

You do not tolerate that shit. No one should.

So the answer is tough love. Simply: "im not dealing with any of this shit if you wont go to a doctor". And you shouldnt, and your partner does deserve to have their ass left if they wont go.
>>
>>18482953
Well if they have depression because of major life events like losing a job and a loss of a loved relative then what? I feel like you have to be at least a support for them

Not OP btw.
>>
>>18482953
Bonus addition:

My gfs friend got dumped for being a whiney memelord over "muh depressions" when she didnt get help.

She cried about it posted on facebook how unaccepting people are then got her ass to a doctor and now shes doing better. She still thinks her ex husband is an asshole but truth she won't acknowledge is she dragged his face through that shit for years with no doctor and it was getting left that made her go.
>>
>>18482965
Same deal mang. Its still ones zeros chemicals and electricity.

Yeah support them over reasonable shit within a reasonable timeline but mental problems are considered clinical after 6 months for a reason: they should normalise by then. If not the systems gone funky.

And it remains entirely their fault for not actually seeing a doctor.

Weve come so far as to understand emotional is all physical and not magical. If i break my leg and i let it heal by itself, and then it heals wrong and then i complain i can't work or play sports like i used to the answer is clear:
Im an idiot for letting it go so long, and i need to have it professionally rebroken and set and i need physio, (options that exist) to continue a normal life.

Same with mental shit. Yeah a single event should put you out for awhile but not ruin your life for many years to come.
>>
>>18482965
What's being discussed on here relates to clinical depression or depression not related to an extreme emotional event or situation. What you have described is situational depression which is completely different. Most of the time, those people need the love and support to get through the tough part and should bounce back to normal after time passes and they are able to accept the event that triggered the depression.
>>
>>18482987
>>18482996
Aight, thanks anons
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.