[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My son won't fucking study, he sits there and plays games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: homero llorando.jpg (52KB, 635x351px) Image search: [Google]
homero llorando.jpg
52KB, 635x351px
My son won't fucking study, he sits there and plays games all fucking day, I don't want to punish him, I know for a fact that's not effective, but he has 16 years and gets on average 3/10 on every test. What should I do?
>>
>>18479978
Nag about it so much he'll study just to shut you up
>>
>>18479978

Take his shit away until his grades improve you fucking faggot
>>
>>18480021
sould I be invasive then?
>>
>>18480029
Yea just get it in his head you think he shouldn't be wasting time
>>
>>18479978
slacker son here

put your foot down. NOW.

take away his games and tell him he cant get them back until his grades go up.

my parents never did shit about my vidya habits and I ended up a lazy slacker with no social skills

even now, at 21, I'm barely learning how to function without video games. its tough and I barely have any friends

save your son, remove the games
>>
ask him, what is the problem, dont be condescending, dont blame, try to understand the little shitter

try to help him, dont listen to the little shits here
>>
my parents were too soft on me, they were only harsh with words, but didn't do anything besides talk

you need to beat him into submission, or bring a nephew to kick his ass.
>>
File: 2consider.jpg (20KB, 343x284px) Image search: [Google]
2consider.jpg
20KB, 343x284px
>>18479978
Is he depressed? Because of so taking away his entertainment will make it worse. My parents did it and taking my only diversion from the pain drove me to do stupid shit like cutting and attempt suicide. It also made me hate them for years because they would not seek a different method.

Ask him WHY he plays all day. Then work it from there. Send him to a therapist if needed.
>>
>>18479978
how bout making studying fun, use khan academy or some studying flash games for high school students.
>>
>>18480055
Another slacker son here, but I didn't need to do much to do well.
I think this is the best option for you, he needs discipline. I never got any and I never bother trying my best for things that I should.
>>
>>18480096
No, licensed therapy is a waste of time.

Video games are a problem, I used to play like 12 hours a day for twelve years as a NEET, and I'd be in denial about it and blame it on depression or suicidal thoughts or philosophical mumbo jumbo.

The fact is that video games are toxic to mental development, even worse during the teen years when you have a bunch of hormones turning you into a bipolar, suicidal and angsty emotional ticking timebomb; you stay indoors all day enclosed in a room, you don't physically interact with other people, you don't make any life experiences and waste away your time in a never ending cycle of denial and addiction.

Everyone suffers from existential depression during their teen years.

>>18479978
You need to psychologically associate video games to a negative attribute. If he plays an online game, cut off the internet, and pretend you don't know how it happened. He'll get angrier and angrier and associate video games with anger and pain.

Gradually reduce his playtime; removing it all together will just make him relapse and go back to playing video games.
>>
>>18480096
Did you ever tell your parents you were depressed and need a therapist? or did you just sit around and hope they figured out why their son was a fucking mess? Because the vast majority of parents are blind to mental illness. and think their kid is perfect and would never have any emotional problems.

You can't blame your parents if you did not make it explicitly clear you are damaged
>>
>>18480132
This. Teach him self-discipline and the benefits of delaying gratification.

Taking away his video games will do absolutely fuck all, other than make him get mad at you. If you can afford it, I would suggest telling him that if he gets an A at the end of the semester, you'll buy him a new console or a graphics card. Give him a goal. A purpose for giving a shit about grades that don't matter.
>>
>>18480156
My school's councilor talked to them about it and told me I should take therapy. I was diagnosed now take medication and have therapy weekly for 4 years now.

Took them a while to accept it, though.

>>18480143
Please go choke on a fat cock.
>>
>>18480169
I used to be severely depressed, too. I would get body chills, I couldn't get out of bed, cut myself, but it went away after my early 20's.

Glad I don't take medicine anymore otherwise I'd be dependent on it too much.
Everyone said I was self-diagnosed, that's also a big problem with today's youth.

Sometimes they don't really have a mental condition, they go see a therapist that just throws away harmful drugs at them, and eventually they develop one.
>>
>>18480168
This is the kind of advide I needed, how come I never thought of this?? great idea mate, thanks for the advice
>>
>>18480178
knowing him, he's the type to get interested in things that make him actually use his brain, which he finds in videogames, and I understand why, school doesn't care about making the edcucation bearable, I would get bored as fuck too, but it is completly necessary to go through it to get into more interesting stages of life, but he can't get out of that vicious loop he's in
>>
>>18480178
yeah I self diagnosed too, regret it especially since I did it at an early age

took SSRI's during 16-18, it didn't help and I stopped growing and it's hard for me to get my dick up

I've also developed an addiction to ambien cause the amount of Prozac and Zoloft I've taken was probably over prescribed, I fucking hate psychiatrists, they just want to sell their drugs not help you.
>>
Try to get him interested in a musical instrument, sports, ANYTHING. Videogames are the worst thing for a kid. The little fuck will isolate himself, live in unreality, and spend time on bullshit "fun" (aka pleasantly killed time), and have nothing to show for his "hobby."
>>
File: whats-wrong-with-you.gif (721KB, 446x251px) Image search: [Google]
whats-wrong-with-you.gif
721KB, 446x251px
>>18479978
> I don't want to punish him
Nigga your fucking role as a parent is to punish your children if they behave in ways that will cause harm to them or others. Him not studying, and wasting his time with vidya is causing him harm in the long run so it is your fucking obligation as a parent to punish him until he corrects his behavior.

You ain't supposed to be his fucking friend. You are his parent.
>>
>>18480203
His function is to educate. Punishing for the sake of it is not smart and that makes you a terrible and hated parent.
>>
>>18480207
>Punishing for the sake of it
Nobody advocated for that.
I precisely said that the role of a parent is to punish a child that behaves in a way that causes/will cause harm to him/herself, or to others.
That is not punishment for just the sake of it.
>>
I did shit all work in school and didnt get good grades. Im now in ivy league med school. I put my head down in college and got a good GPA and mcat. However my undergrad was done at a shit tier college due to poor school grades
>>
>>18480211
Punishment is not necessarily educative. OP should take the thoughtful course of action and not simply punish the kid because a brute told him so.
>>
>>18480224
Kids are dumb and don't fucking understand what is best for them in most cases.
If Op's kid is addicted to vidya, no amount of reasoning will go trough. He needs to do what must be done to sever that addiction.
>>
>>18480224
>Punishment is not necessarily educative.

If the kid is smoking pot in his room, the dad should take it away. It's shit and bad for the kid. Same thing with games. If he's getting bad marks, he doesn't deserve to keep his freedoms to play games. Games are to come after real life success, not replace them. If he turns 18 and wants to move out and rot his brain on games all day, then that would be that.
>>
File: e3x6z2zrvi1z.jpg (78KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
e3x6z2zrvi1z.jpg
78KB, 600x800px
When he turn 18 he's out of the house. No financial support, no housing, nothing. That will get him thinking.
>>
not Op, but Im in the same boat and didnt want to make a new thread, some good advice here

Now, how do I deal with him not having/hanging out with friends? it's summer and he hasnt been going to the park or going over to friends houses
If he doesnt have friends/is afraid to be social how do I keep him busy?
I plan on volunteering with him and he said he'd like that, but idk what else to do
>>
Assuming mental illness isn't the cause, you should enroll him in a school for retarded children. Not kidding. 3/10 on every test means he is either retarded, or he is lazy and needs a wake up call. Retard school is the solution to both causes.
>>
>>18480398
read the first 2 lines from >>18480195
>>
Positive reinforcement might do the trick

As in:
"Get B and above and you'll get X"
>>
>>18479978
Take away his video games permanently. Maybe also throw away the TV. Not "until your grades and attitude improve," because this isn't a punishment but a lifestyle change.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.