[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best subject to study in light of the coming second

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: Stressed.jpg (36KB, 306x423px) Image search: [Google]
Stressed.jpg
36KB, 306x423px
What is the best subject to study in light of the coming second machine age/automation/AI? I had played with the idea of going to school to study medicine and surgery, but now i hear that robots are just as good, if not better than doctors at some tasks, and the list of robot/AI assisted tasks is only going to get longer. I like math, so I'd be okay with that, but I'd like to know before I invest 4-8 years.
>>
File: 1488748987732.jpg (15KB, 319x331px) Image search: [Google]
1488748987732.jpg
15KB, 319x331px
The next jobs, and there wont be a lot, are the old trades that our grandfather used to do. Plumber, electrician, carpenter. Next tier are the police, fire and ambulance. Nurses. It goes downhill from there. Wal Mart and Taco Bell will be staffed by retards and degenerates. You need a trade.
>>
>>18472514
What's going to happen to all the other jobs?
>>
>>18472514
Why can't those be replaced by robots?
>>
File: 1494461659804.png (11KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1494461659804.png
11KB, 657x527px
>>18472523
Automation. All of them. There was a story this week that they are replacing the McDonald's cashiers with kiosks. You go to Wal-Mart and most now go through self checkout. Other retail stores are closing altogether. Amazon is going automated. Factories. The fucking bill collectors are robots. Learn auto body or how to frame a house.
>>
>>18472526
What im saying isnt absolute and picking it apart wont save anyone from whats coming.
>>
>>18472526
Irregular physical labor = very hard to automate. White collar work is mostly predictable and can be broken down into successive tasks that can be automated.
>>18472539
Fug. Wouldn't it be better to study math and have any job I want w/ 300K starting?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1460132883825.jpg (10KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1460132883825.jpg
10KB, 480x480px
>>18472497

>Fug. Wouldn't it be better to study math and have any job I want w/ 300K starting?

Problem is that everyone will gave that idea. And with quantum computing those high tech jobs will go away too.

Basic Minimum Income is what is in store for most
>>
>>18472563
*frown*
But not everyone is good at math, or wants to study it. I see the trends though, Instagram only had 30 employees but sold for 1 Billion, and machine learning/AI/automation will just exaggerate the trend. What about data scientists though? Surely not every 'thinking' job will be obsolete? Someone has to interpret the data, tell the machines what to look for, communicate to shareholders, no?
> mfw I will have to get over my autism and become a world class communicator just to have a job
My plan was to do an undergrad in applied math, get my Toastmasters certification (public speaking), learn Python, Java and C, and then either go for a masters degree in automation/machine learning/AI or try to get a job and work my way up so that (ultimately) i can utilize big data in the healthcare industry and hopefully save some lives.
>>
>>18472497
Software engineering. Hard math. Physics. Mechanics. Chemistry. Biology. Basically STEM. It cant be automatized by anything. Why?

Look at task like driving cars. It is easy for super stupid people. Still the automatization is slow as fuck, the problems isnt solved yet and nobody can tell you the year when automatized cars will be cheaper than paying drivers.

Higher thinking jobs? No fucking way. Not on the next 50 years. Only retards with 0 knowledge about subject tells you that that stem fields will be automatized. No they fucking wont.

The harder your study will be, the more impossible it will be to replace you with AI.

But chances are when you have to ask such bullshit question like this here, you are probably another average normie who struggled to finish highschool and simply lack the willpower to force himself to actually finish real hard courses.

Good luck!
>>
>>18472497
Ship inspector, engineer, RN, butcher etc

It's the trades that will never let you down.
>>
>>18472675
Why would I try to prove myself to an anonymous user on a Tibetan yak hair spinning collective? Besides, there are lots of people talking about this. They might be talking out their ass, but that's why we have tot talk to each other. I was previously thinking of doing medicine, but I feel a lot more urgency wrt automation/AI etc., because it seems like it will be the only field left besides the trades.
>>
>>18472696
>lots of people talking about this
Sure, because majority of people cant be wrong
>democracy
>windows
>nacism
>comunism
>religion
>flat earth

There are certain topics where majority of people will always be wrong.

Doctors will be automated. It sort is now. Google can effectivelly replace general practice doctors if you could buy medicine online. Just google symptoms and boom, cured.

Even chirugs can be repaced. Human bodies are plus minus the same and less complicated operations can be automated (but it will still take 50 year mininum). Also doctors with diplomas will scream loadly to make people fear cold machines so they stay relevant.

But really, if you have the willpower and brain capacity, get yourself into anything creative / research&development and you will end up replacing normies with robots yourself.

Dont skip centuries ahead. The people who claims automatization will teplace everybody are fat dumb CEOs with 0 hard skills, juat enough lack of empathy to climb the corporate ladder through corpses.

Chill and pick something you will enjoy doing for the next 50 years. Google
>career test online
and do like 10 of them.
>>
Speaking as someone who works pretty deep in the robotics and machine learning field, it's grossly overstated how much automation is going to take over.
By the time it becomes a real issue most of us will be dead or retired.
>>
>>18472737
Plz elaborate, anon
>>
>>18472497

Try asking >>>/sci/ for better advice.

Your best bet is probably a degree in Computer Science/Math focusing on machine learning and intelligent agents etc. Maybe add a dash of metaphysical philosophy.
>>
>>18472497
If I'm going to be honest, lots of people overestimate the automation scare.
As a guy who's working as a distributor of "automation machines", the most it can do at this moment is to reduce the menial labor costs with doing the repetitive task in precise, safer, and constant manners.
If you're thinking about rise of robots things where AI will make us obsolete that'd take us years after maybe our generation died to be perfected.

Of course, if talking about study STEM, being a doctor is always a good choice if you're up to it, and if not try to learn about copywriting and marketing. Don't worry too much about robots/AI at this moment. They still need human behind them.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.