[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm trying to be a recovering alcoholic. I'm sure I'll

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: Alcohol-v-2-resized.jpg (101KB, 830x553px) Image search: [Google]
Alcohol-v-2-resized.jpg
101KB, 830x553px
I'm trying to be a recovering alcoholic. I'm sure I'll fuck it up somewhere down the line, but I'm trying. I was having anywhere from 8-12 drinks a night, pretty much 7 nights a week. Maybe one night every other week where social events or late work meant I only had 3 or 4 drinks. Up until recently, I could probably count the number of days I went completely without alcohol in the last 5 years on one hand.

I realized after a couple of family events that I obviously had a problem that everyone close to me knew about, and decided to change things, but until recently I didn't have much success. I'd go a day without, and go right back to the liquor store day 2. Wait a week, try it again, same situation. Finally, the last week or so, I'm actually making traction - I had 2 beers on Saturday with some friends, but otherwise nothing at home, pretty much healthy.

Obviously going cold turkey has had a few health drawbacks - a little bit of nausea, some shaking around dinner time - but I'm getting through it and feeling better, and sleeping a lot better to boot. The bigger issue is that I'm just fucking Bored. Once you're a few drinks in it's easy to put some YouTube videos on, games, sports, whatever - but now they just don't hold my interest. I get that I'm drastically changing my life right now, but when I'm bored I want to drink, and it's the one thing I know I can't do. I guess I'm trying to ask people that have been through this transition - what do I do to push through this?
>>
>>18462961
Alcohol (on the come-up) helps you feel motivated, confident, and entertained. Now you're bored and swimming in self-doubt like the rest of us. You made a good choice, though. Now you can get pride and joy out of things that are truly worthwhile, rather than ruining your life with alcoholism and television.

Stop expecting to feel good while doing the same pointless stuff you did sloshed.
>>
>>18462961
Start going to Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, get a sponsor, and do the 12 steps. Search online to find meetings that are near you.
>>
>>18463042
I looked into AA but I was amazed at how many different meetings there were just in my small city (120k people). They had an online search for meetings, but I doubt all of them were regularly attended. The "main" AA office in my state has a hotline that I think I'll call soon, but even just doing that is like terrifying.
>>
>>18463067
>but even just doing that is like terrifying
why?
>>
>>18463079
Weird social anxiety, I guess. Which makes no sense, because 1) It's a city, I'm not going to know the person answering the phone and 2) My job requires me to talk to people I don't know all day. I know it's not normal, but I'm a little fucked up in general.
>>
this was interesting to listen to if you have an hour to spare, found on /tv/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnsIuwcLlsk

don't know if it will help but I think spending a lot of time trying to fully understand something before you commit to it isn't a complete waste of your time.
>>
>>18463067
Most meetings are walk-ins with newcomers showing up all the time. Just remember that it's a social club with tinges of cult ideology, and should not be mistaken for a professional recovery plan.

Lots of people trying to recover from tier II mental health problems like personality or addiction just subscribe to religious ideology (DBT is Zen Buddhism lite).

So I guess your mileage may vary. I guess it's best to be around other people, but take what they say with a grain of salt and make sure to choose to associate people you come to like on a deeper level.
>>
>>18463094
Alright, well just give them a call when you are ready
>>
>>18463130
You can just walk in
>>
>>18463134
True, but it's more about finding the "Right" one that meets your actual needs. A lot of times the meetings will be pretty special-interest (like AA for veterans, or women only, or something) and you don't want to look like an idiot going to the wrong one.
>>
>>18463141
My county has an online database with descriptions, AA and beyond. Maybe can go to love addicts and get laid, or smoking cessation and bum a cig.

I'm pretty thankful for whoever hosts that site though, honestly. I go to a depression/bipolar support group
>>
>>18462961

If I have one piece of advice to give you, OP, it's this: Don't try to have fun early on.

You've rewired your brain to only enjoy thing while drunk. There is a physiological phenomenon that results from this called "anhedonia," which means quite literally that you can't have fun. This will last for a while. But it will start to get better after a month or two. And gradually, if you make it months and then a year or more, you'll be enjoying little things and day-to-day life just as much as ever. But it takes time for your brain to adjust to not having that one familiar reward button pressed.

If you try to have fun while sober now, in the early weeks, you'll just end up disappointed and frustrated, and may relapse. That's always been the biggest hurdle for me--the third or fourth day of sobriety, when the worst shit is over and I'm feeling good, but I also start getting bored.

So if you can't have fun, what can you do? Practical things that make your life better or more comfortable. Cleaning, building something (simple), a work- or career-related project, updating your resume and applying for X number of jobs, helping a friend with some important task they're facing, making dinner for yourself several times a week, organizing a closet, budgeting and saving a certain amount of money by a certain date, etc.

Doing these things will give you a sense of personal satisfaction, which is the closest to pleasure you're going to get for a while. And seeing your life improve in tangible ways will reinforce your sobriety, confirming that you've made the right decision. And although you won't be having fun, at least you won't be downright bored.

Good luck, OP.
>>
>>18462961
Going off of alchohol can cause a drop in endorphins.

Troy your best to ignore it, it's temporary. Get a hobby to pass the time. Personally, I love hiking. You don't need anything to start other than a pair of hiking boots.
>>
>>18462999
Alcohol is the only thing that gives me courage to talk to women, but I have to abstain from it in order to lose weight.

This is hell.
>>
>>18462961
>The bigger issue is that I'm just fucking Bored
Yep
Alchy here
That's my problem too
I force myself into drunk/sober day cycles
I get through my sober days with video games and books.
>>
Keeping occupied while watching videos helps. Bring a drawer to organize in front of the computer/tv, or draw, or fix something broken, or whatever you could find interesting. You might not feel it's as fun, but making your brain multitask doesn't give it as much time to think about what it's addicted to.
>>
>>18463420
Watch the wording words become true
>>
>>18463499
What does that even mean, man?
>>
>>18463504
You're gonna have to get someone to help you out ive had a long day
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.