[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm 18 and entering college in a few months. What are some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2671.jpg (36KB, 291x291px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2671.jpg
36KB, 291x291px
I'm 18 and entering college in a few months. What are some general tips for college and what are things I should have in my dorm?
>>
>>18462627
Don't do drugs, avoid losers, focus on your studies, get a part time job (less than 20 hours a week) for spending cash. Get a mini fridge and a rice cooker.
>>
Do all the problems in the textbook and study ahead of your classes.
>>
>>18462718
>>18462721
Don't be fucking lame like these guys. The first years are for having fun, the last year(s) will be more for study and such.

Don't waste loads of money and not have any fun.
>>
>>18462724
fuck you, you're probably one of the losers I was talking about. You have the entire time before college and the entire time after college to take drugs and be a loser. Why use the time you're paying for to do it?
>>
>>18462724
How is putting time into education that you paid for lame? Buying a rice cooker or studying doesn't mean you can't have fun, you can have that without spending all your money on drugs and clubs
>>
>>18462727
>>18462738
My brother just got out of uni with a first and he went out far more than I do.

There isn't plenty of time before because you're doing A Levels, and there isn't time after because you're working.

OP can make up his own mind, but jesus christ imagine working through college the whole time to come out and work more. Fucking lame.
>>
>>18462627
If high school and what comes before give you the basics on human relationships and on how to study, college is where you apply those concepts.

The two top priorities for you should be:
-Find a study method that works for you, and use it immediatly
-Don't be afraid of getting to know new people, make friends cause college will give you some of the funniest moments of your life

Study, have fun, have a good sleep schedule while under exams and don't forget to pursue your dreams dude!
>>
Do whatever you need to do in order to pass. Take adderall if you need. A little weed won't kill you, you can smoke it with people but not buy it yourself if money's an issue. Forget about sluts and drinking. I'm not against them but >>18462727 raises a good point. If your schooling isn't free, you're not getting your money's worth.
>>
>>18462738
yeah but studying is fucking gay and you really can't have legitimate fun without alcohol or drugs
>>
>>18462752
Which is why you buy a LOT alcohol and drugs with your possibly 6 figure salary, after you graduate, when you are old and it's the only way to have fun anyway.
>>
>>18462627
If you see an organization/club/event that even slightly interests you, go and attend it, even if you may not like it after the first time.
Talk to your professors. See them during their office hours at the very least once a month. It'll help out a ton when you need to use them as references/letters of reccomendation
There is nothing wrong with attending community college first. Adding to that University is a meme, as in you don't need to go to expensive colleges and put yourself into six figures in debt. If its not an Ivy League, 99% of companies won't give a fuck where you graduated from so just choose the cheapest college you can, but if scholarships pay for University, by all means go for it.
Get a part time job so you can pay your debts as you go and have some spending money.
Make sure you get your shit done before you start partying. Parties will always be going on during college. It's not the end of the world if you miss out on one.
Don't fall for the STEM meme that 4chan loves to preach about. College is way more about who you know than what you know. I'm not saying go get a womens studies degree, but get a degree in something that won't make you put a bullet in your brain. If you don't get to know people in college, it doesn't matter if you get an Aerospace Enginnering degree, you'll have a much harder time than that other guy with the Art degree who knows that guy who happen to suck Jim Davis' dick that one time.
Most importantly, don't stress out. College isn't hard, unless you're lazy. Don't spend 18 hours studying and make sure you get adequate rest, because sleeping lets you retain the knowledge you spent time learning about.
>>
>>18462754
nah fuck that, live while you're young. I'd rather have fun now than be 70 and be able to afford the things I wished I'd done when I wasn't too fucking old to do it
>>
>>18462815
way to exaggerate. if he finishes college at 21-22 and works in a job paying low six figures like $110,000 per year he'll have about 73k after taxes depending on where he lives and with no deductions also not accounting for any benefits like his 401k.
if his monthly living expenses are $1300 for rent, $800 for bills, and $250 for food which are grossly exaggerated figures then he'll be spending $28,200 per year just for living expenses not hobbies or fun stuff. that leaves him with $44,800 per year to play with.

That's the problem with losers like you, you can't see into the future. You buy your lottery tickets, beer, cigarettes, fast food, and drugs and then you have $20 at the end of the week and nothing to show for it.
>>
>>18462627
Get ready for the worst time of your life.
>>
>>18462627
GO TO CLASS
Seriously, just go, don't listen to anyone who says otherwise.
Class sucks, and many courses are stupid, but you have to do them anyways. You can always get drunk later.

Do your assignments IMMEDIATELY. It'll be easier that way. e.g. you get a task, its due in 2 weeks. START THAT DAY.
I wish I had followed this advice myself, i spent countless times cramming and stressfully pulling all nighters because I procrastinated (I have a Ph.D. now) and it could have been much less stressful the entire fucking way.
>>
>>18462718
Wrong
DO Drugs, have experiences, live your life.

just always go to class and do your work ahead of time so you have time to do drugs and drink and have fun.

Just don't push work back to do drugs
The life experience is just as important as the academic experience
>>
You'll be changing majors. Sometimes six times. Maybe once.
Finals are stressful, the generalized panic/going crazy stereotypes you've seen/heard are real. Professors don't care about you.

You. Will. Get. Tired.
>>
>>18463632 (my post)
>>18462627

I'm just a year older than you, graduated HS two years ago. I might start college next week or in the fall. I took two years off just to watch how others would do in college.

Don't get a job unless you're confident that you'll make it through. Tuition is a bitch-- my reason for not wanting to go to college-- college might even be easy. One more thing-- PERSPECTIVE is key. To everything. Be open. Be attentive. Seek advice. Don't fucking hesitate. Also you and I are different-- I say fuck parties, fuck alcohol, fuck dating. I browse the internet for fun. Don't get pressured to do shit you're not interested in. That's all.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.