[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't seem to remember a whole lot of what happens in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: age_bg_tpp.jpg (277KB, 1400x764px) Image search: [Google]
age_bg_tpp.jpg
277KB, 1400x764px
I don't seem to remember a whole lot of what happens in my life. For example, I read through the entire GOT series 6 months ago and now I don't remember anything at all except the book titles and some key moments. This is hindering my ability to make small talk and make friends since I can't talk about anything at length.

I don't seem to remember relevant anectodes at all.

Another example, some of my acquaintances started discussing the Tesla Model S. I read extensively about it several months ago but the only thing I remembered was the price. Why is this? Is there something wrong with the way I read or do I have a mental problem? I don't drink or do drugs and am not addicted to anything. I don't remember what happens in a lot of video games and I play a lot of video games. I barely remember anything from the games I play after 1-2 months. I completely forget everything except some key moments. Somebody please help me
>>
you dumb or you just don't care. there's no help for you either way, don't worry about it
>>
>>18459940
I cannot be dumb though. I don't want to say why here since some people might accuse me of bragging.
>>
For starters, this is pretty normal. I've been experiencing this myself lately.

Are you possibly depressed/having some sort of anxiety?
>>
my IQ and SAT scores were amazing and excellent respectively and there are many(nearly all possible) ways in which I'm dumb. Brains aren't that simple except the part of yours that is supposed to be retaining information, which is real simple.
>>
>>18459948

I am depressed since the past 4 years or so. Have social anxiety since maybe 10 years or so. Any help
>>
>>18459928

Human memory isn't supposed to picture perfect. We remember key points and data that interests us. You're not dumb, your memory isn't faulty. If you're not remembering every little detail of something, it's because you aren't super interested in it enough to care about every little detail.
>>
>>18459955
Well, depression and anxiety definitely take up a lot of mental energy and space, for lack of a better word. Also, if you're worried about not being able to make small talk about things you do or experience, anxiety can sort of derail you when you're trying to think of things which would make it hard to remember trivial stuff in the middle of stressful situations, yknow?

Both depression and anxiety can have massive effects on your memory. There's nothing wrong with your brain, but it can sort of push everything else out of the way.

I would see a therapist about it.
>>
>>18459960
How come I see people talk about a lot of things in detail all the time though? For example, the car example I gave in my OP. Pretty sure those guys weren't that interested in it either. Also, I love video games, I literally just play them all day. But I don't remember what happens in them anyways?
>>
>>18459977
nothing happens in a video game, you just sit and press a small number of fucking buttons for hours on end
>>
>>18459976

Is there anything I could do myself without resorting to a therapist?
>>
>>18459988
I'm talking about story driven games. Like witcher 3 for example. The only thing I remember is the Bloody baron quest and nothing else. Wtf is wrong with me.
>>
>>18459991
Possibly. As mentioned, this is a fairly normal thing.

I would still recommend seeing someone for the depression and anxiety, especially if this is bothering you as much as your post suggests.
>>
>>18460021
Well I can't afford a therapist. Was wondering if there is something else I can do.
>>
>>18460026
Are you sure? It's pretty easy to find cheap or even free therapy these days in pretty much any decent sized town.
>>
>>18459977

Again. Human memory isn't picture perfect. Also if your friends are bringing up the subject of the car, then it sounds like they were interested enough to talk about it.

>I love video games
>I don't remember what happens in them

What, do you want to keep a flawless memory of a 2-3 hour play session of GTA V where you remember every death, every second spent driving, every shot you fire, and every moment you spend trying to call up Lester to remove your wanted level?

Human memories don't work like that. There are actually huge problems if you remember literally everything - the inability to forget, hyperthymesia, sounds great at the time. Except that the more stuff you remember, the longer it takes you recall - or in these people's cases, their memories are so vivid they get lost in recalling that it interferes with daily life.

Human beings are MADE to forget, to make room for other things of importance.
>>
>>18460078

I played GTA in 2015 and I completely forgot Lester. I literally just looked him on wiki to remember. I don't really think my memory is normal. I just wish it was.
>>
I read Game of Thrones and it's hard to recall just because it's not very memorable. There's no tension or resolution. Honestly it's kind of terrible except for the violence and sex.

I read the Wheel of Time twice and I can recall banter, lessons from the White Tower, rules for the Snakes and Foxes, names of horses, regional hairstyles, names of clans, and the old tongue.
Gavane a tia ceundasouvra?
>>
>>18460087

...It's been 2 years, I can't expect you to remember every detail. I played GTA just last month, and had been extensively for months on end.

Dude, you need to chill the fuck out.
>>
>>18459928
I have a hard time remembering shit too, probably bcuz I spent many years numb to anything, basically only stressing my brain, letting the amygdala grow, and letting the hippocampus shrink, so do things that would make your hippocampus grow, like exercise (mentally and physically) and other shit i guess idk still working on it, sort yourself out.
>>
>>18460256

Anything else apart from exercise? Thanks
>>
>>18459928
As others said, your brain isn't a perfect storage device. Actually what else, if it didn't toss most information how the fuck could it even work.

Vast majority needs to be tossed, this isn't a gigantic storage.
>>
>>18460317
well, mental exercise can be very varied, you can educate yourself about things you don't understand, or write about your past, write what you currently are thinking about, writing teaches you how to think, idk if you know about him because it feels like everybody does by know, but i recommend looking up jordan peterson on youtube and maybe pick what grabs your attention, if you really want to get into his work i recommend watching his 2017 maps of meaning lectures, but this video might be a good start and maybe relevant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0Qm8I2cCAE life is complicated man, our highly developed minds have to be sorted to be put at rest, to be put at peace, stuff can be in your unconscious and bother you without even realizing it, where exactly it comes from, or how you act it out in your life, it will be hard.

but it will be worth it, and i'm saying that as a quite unsure and nervous person, but i've been becoming more hopeful on average over the past years.
>>
>>18460003
I'm like that too Anon. But maybe it's because the other quests of the games you play are also mundane (simple fetch quests, for example). He'll I've been playing the Witcher 3 and I remember only a few missions: kill the Griffin, recover the old lady's frying pan, that hunter guy who was gay and made the Lord's son kill himself, the well ghost and the guy who was a werewolf and murdered his wife. That's it. And what do they all have in common? They have something interesting or bizarre. I don't remember the rest because the missions were mundane.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.