[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay, this is a really weird one. I've become interested

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: ancient-aliens-1.png (105KB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
ancient-aliens-1.png
105KB, 360x202px
Okay, this is a really weird one.

I've become interested in biblical scholarship and interpretation. I spend all my free time reading translations and studying ancient languages of the fertile crescent. Researching comparative texts and rabinical and pharisaical tradition.

I do all of this purely from a secular standpoint, and am an atheist.

I have been sharing my interests with my GF, as I assume most people do.

She has gotten it in her head, that only a religious person would study the bible this much, and so assumes I'm religious.

She being an atheist says she cannot be with a religious person, and is pressuring me to admit that I'm religious.

I've told her up front that I'm not religious at all, and simply studying it as a window into the ancient world, but she doesn't believe me.

I don't want to give up my passion, but I don't want to lose her either.
>>
Maybe you could point out how many academics and historians do extensive research on ancient Greek, Egyptian etc. religious beliefs despite almost none of them thinking there's even a hint of truth to it, to demonstrate how you don't need to believe in this stuff to have an interest in it.
I don't know, it's probably a long shot but it's an option if you haven't done it already.
>>
>>18456815
>She
>Atheist
>This fucking close minded
>Move back into moms basement and drop her.
>>
>>18456815
Make her read Gilgamesh, and both can have a laugh of how all abrahamic religions are based on a myth.
>>
>>18456815
First off, she's a selfish bitch for not wanting to be with someone solely because of beliefs or lack of. You don't need that shit. I'd dump her and find someone better.

If you absolutely want to stick with her, then make it damn fucking clear you don't believe in the magic man, any way that you can.

If she won't take your word on your beliefs even after this, then fuck her.

Coming from an atheist that studies the bible
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.