[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I hate college so much. I'm thinking of dropping out permanently.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1496024243105.gif (613KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
1496024243105.gif
613KB, 500x374px
I hate college so much. I'm thinking of dropping out permanently. I transferred to a 4 year college last semester, but only took 1 course because all of the classes I planned on taking filled up before it was my turn to register. It's a 2 hour bus ride to the campus. I took my last 4 courses at my CC.

I got a D in that one course so now I'm not able to apply for FAFSA. I couldn't even turn in my FAFSA because apparently I need to turn in my tax returns even though I've never done taxes in my life. So I turn in a form of non-filing and it keeps getting denied. I go and talk to the fafsa office and they tell me to turn in the non-filing form again and it gets denied so I just gave up. I've never had to go through this before when I filed for FAFSA.

Now that I'm in a 4 year college the cost has gone up and I have no way to pay it.

Another reason I'm thinking about dropping out is because I feel like I'm behind. I took 5 courses of my major at my CC, but it was super easy. The one course I took and got a D in was the next course I had to take for my major and I felt completely lost. I didn't learn half the stuff I was supposed to learn in the previous class. To be honest I deserved an F.

I'm just freaking out right now. Also I already talked to my counselor and he told me to take easy courses to raise my GPA. I'm more worried about paying for shit.
>>
>>18455631
I don't really understand the Americuck system, but this seems pretty fucking two bob bit.
What are your alternatives?

I'd recommend making a flow chart of different scenarios and sleeping on it, then having a butchers at it in the morning.
>>
>>18455631
Honestly, get a job. Don't bother with school if you're failing and can't afford it. You're just digging a deeper hole. That time you take to get a job and to work will give you the space your head needs to sort things through, think about what you really want in life.

Then you can go back to school with a clear head if you really want a degree, maybe only go part-time if you'd like.
>>
>>18455645
>>18455646
My overall GPA is around 2.8. My CC and the 4 year college are in the same school system. However, since I got in D in the one class I'm taking, my GPA for that school is now 1.0. I can still get FAFSA for my CC if I was going there.

My major is Comp Sci. I'm honestly thinking of dropping out after this semester. There's this programming boot camp thing I was kind of interested in if I could somehow get the money (It's 10k to attend). I don't have a portfolio at all and after last semester I would say I'm not very good at programming in the first place. I only know the basics. I'm currently trying to teach myself webdev. I happened to get a free course on udemy teaching reactjs.

I honestly don't know how hard it is to get a programming job in my position so maybe I shouldn't even try. I don't know how much I need to know.
>>
The first thing I want you to do is to take a step back.

Right now, you ought to know where you want to live after you finish whatever training/education you go through, what kind(s) of work you're interested in doing for a living, and how much demand there is for those kinds of work in the area you want to live in. These are things you should have figured out prior to making the choice to go to college.

At lot of people don't mention that last one, but it's really important. You can't just finish your education and expect to get a job in your field. It all depends on what is available in the area you want to live. You can go to a university for petroleum engineering only to have no job prospects because your city has no petroleum industry, and you don't want to move to some place that does. Your choice in major has to be tailor-made not just to your interests, but to the industries and demands of the area you want to live in. If you haven't considered that prior to committing to your major, you've made a big mistake by going to college in the first place.

So, is programming the kind of work you want to do for a living? Think about what you'll actually be doing day-in, day-out. You'll be sitting in a chair in front of a computer for most hours of your working day. You'll have meetings with your co-workers and supervisors to plan out projects, delegate work, and judge the work you've contributed to the projects. Furthermore, what kind of programming do you want to do? Are you fine with web development or would you rather want something like applications development? Does your local area, or the place you want to move to, have firms that engage in that kind of work? The fewer firms in your area doing the kind of work you want to do, the harder it will be for you to find a job opening. If you've considered everything and your job prospects look good, then you pick a method to get the training or education to get your foot in the door.
>>
Now, if you still want to proceed with programming, we can talk about how to get there.

Programming bootcamps are an alternative to college that can be effective but is a bit more of a risk. Graduating from a bootcamp doesn't have the same weight behind it as having a Bachelor's Degree. There will be some places that will consider you fairly for going through a bootcamp and others that will give strong preference to the people with degrees.

Having said that, the bootcamp can still be an effective tool to get your foot in the door, but that depends on the bootcamp. If you go down this path, you need to do your due diligence in finding out of the bootcamp is reputable, not just in terms of what you learn but also what those programming firms think of the bootcamp and its graduates. Do as much research only about the bootcamp, try to find graduates and what their experiences after finished were, as well as businesses that have hired graduates. You may want to attempt to reach hiring managers of firms in the area and ask them what they think about the bootcamp and its graduates. All of that will help you know whether or not you're wasting your time and money by attending.

The process of going through the bootcamp might be a more rewarding experience than going to college. Bootcamps tend to be more hands-on and practical, while higher education is more self-initiated and abstract. The difficulties you had learning the subject matter in college may not at all be present in a bootcamp because of those differences.

What I'm trying to get at here is that you should be doing a lot of work to know as much as you can before you make decisions involving spending tens of thousands of dollars that will affect how you live your life. I don't know where you are, what businesses are in your area, or what bootcamp or university you've been talking about, so I can't tell you how things will turn out. You do, so you can at least get an idea if you do some research.
>>
>>18455757
>>18455794
I'll keep all this in mind. I've heard about the bootcamp before, but they just made the headlines on my local newspaper so it got me thinking about joining again. They teach webdev and cyber security. They also prep you for interviews and help you meet people in the area apparently. I'm think I'm just kind of freaking out because I feel like my options are running out and I've already spent so much time and money in school.

I've read reviews of people who went to the bootcamp online and they said it was rewarding, but very time consuming. Most have gotten jobs after doing it, but not all.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.