[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would it be stupid to join the military with your main reason

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1497360423666.gif (32KB, 500x447px) Image search: [Google]
1497360423666.gif
32KB, 500x447px
Would it be stupid to join the military with your main reason being so you won't feel guilty about not joining?
>>
>>18455051
No, I knew a guy that joined the Navy because of Megaman.

He wanted to be the "Blue Bomber"
>>
Yes. Don't believe Pentagon lies. America has a military capable of taking on the entire rest of the world put together. They don't need you.
>>
Probably. If you aren't cut out for that kind of shit, its probably more of a service if you don't waste their time and tax dollars.

Whats the guilt really from? You feel like you're not doing anything for your country? There are many ways to serve your country without signing your soul over to uncle sam. Volunteer, particularly with politics. Next election time, volunteer to work in the voting booths, or campaign with someone you believe in.

Otherwise though, any form of volunteer work is good. Helping your city helps your country. Helping your fellow citizen helps your country.
>>
>>18455063
I suppose the guilt comes from the fact that a lot of people in my family have served in a uniformed service. My father spent 28 years in the Navy, both my grandfathers were in the Army, my great grandfather was a police officer, et cetera
My father hasn't pressured me or anything, he has made it clear that he doesn't expect me to, even saying that he served so I wouldn't have to. But it has still been a big part of my life, and when I came home from college I saw some of my old classmates who joined the Marines and I was embarrassed to talk to them because they joined and I didn't. I know that nobody else cares if I joined or not, including them, but I couldn't escape the feeling.
>>
>>18455076
I'm not too versed on how well service works, but yeah idk, If you're not really committed to it I think I'd rather you save me money by not getting trained just to flunk out because you can't handle it.

I'm not sure if you can apply for short term non combat roles, but if you really feel like you must uphold your family honor might try something like that. Take the shortest term you can get, don't fall for the resigning memes they'll give you later (that's what my army friend says, who's got about another year to go and is ready to be fucking done with the army.)
>>
>>18455084
I'm in college now, so I could have the opportunity to become a commissioned officer after I graduate. It would be about 4-5 years active duty, with another 4 in a reserve capacity. Active duty is basically a full time job, you have to move around with the military, and reserves is part time, you live wherever and have to go meet up with them every month, and then deploy every few years. (I'm in the United States)
I'm not really worried about the mental or physical aspects, or even going to potentially dangerous places, the main thing holding me back is that I would have to be away from my family for the time I'll be active duty, and then more if I deploy while in the reserves. My current plan is to marry my girlfriend and move back to my hometown, and doing this would potentially set that back for a few years. She is planning to get a master's degree while I'm not, so there would be two years of her still in school that I could spend with the military, but still.
>>
>>18455106
Personally, I'd choose your girlfriend over the military. You've got a good thing going, I don't think you're obligated to do this. Again, maybe you can find some way to volunteer with the military, volunteer at the vfw or something. You can do a service without the extreme commitment. But hey, if you can actually do a 2 year service, maybe do that while your gf is finishing up school. But if you can't fit it in your life, I wouldn't fuck up what you have for it personally.
>>
>>18455123
That's what I've been thinking as well, but I'll give some more information that might help clarify my situation. My girlfriend and I in a long distance relationship, and have been since we started dating, which was over two years ago. She is used to me being gone, and said she is prepared to have me away and will support me if I do decide to join. I'm currently studying abroad and haven't seen her in person for 3 months, so it wouldn't really be new territory for us. Also, she and I are both studying to be high school teachers, and I'm from a very rural town, with not many jobs around. It may be a while before a position opens for my degree in my town, and once I move back there, I'm planning to live there until I die. I'm only 20 now, and I think that joining the military could be a way to have one last run before settling down for life, as well as giving me some more life experience before becoming a teacher, many fresh out of college high school teachers have a hard time because they are so close in age to the students. My main reason for considering it is guilt, but I have these reasons as well
>>
>>18455142
The fact that I'd have to put marrying her and being near my family on hold for several years is a big enough con to balance all the pros, however
>>
>>18455051
Yes. The truth is that while a lot of your family has been in the military or whatever, I doubt that this is what they want for you, and you've said yourself that your dad doesn't expect you to join up yourself. Hell, your old man might have joined up just to get out of a hole in his life like mine did, I don't know. If part of your reason is that you want to make a difference in the world, do volunteer work or something.

Also, don't get a chick before enlisting if you pull the trigger, bitches are not loyal to soldiers.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.