[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1

File: wikipedia_64x64[1].png (1KB, 64x64px) Image search: [Google]
wikipedia_64x64[1].png
1KB, 64x64px
I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with my friend.

Background: we work together in the same role. He has depression, and as a result, he hates his job and where we work - he thinks he's shit at the job, that no one likes him there etc. It doesn't help that I'm actually really good at the job and that he sees me getting regular praise from our boss and being asked to take on additional responsibilities.

Where we're working isn't where I want to be either, it's just not going to lead me to where I want my career to go. And honestly, I'm getting sick of working with him. Because of this and because he hates it there, we're both in the process of looking for a new job, and we're both looking for similar jobs.

I've been doing this by sending out my CV (approaching places is the best way to get a job in our field), and I've been getting some encouraging responses. Meanwhile, he's only applying to advertised jobs and getting rejected from every single one of them. Obviously, this doesn't help his mental health and self esteem.

I've offered to help him out by looking at his CV and encouraging him to approach places he wants to work directly, but he just comes up with excuses to not do stuff. On weekends it's "I don't want to think about that right now, my head's not in a good place" and on weekdays it's "I'm tired from work".

Now the problem is that if I find a new job, it's going to affect his self-esteem. I don't want to leave him alone there either, since he hates the place. I could let him know about places that I've approached that are hiring, but if it's a place I'm applying for then he'd be competing with me, and if I'm being honest, I'm much more likely to get the job. This would affect his mental state even more.

>TL;DR: friend I work with wants to find a new job, but isn't putting in effort in applying for new jobs
Any advice?
>>
At some point, your friend is the only one who can take responsibility for his own actions. It sounds like you are willing to help him but he rejects your help and chooses to bury his head in the sand with regard to his job search.

My advice would be to take the job and career path that you find to be personally more rewarding, + offer to help your friend find a better job when he is ready to accept your help.

I have had roommates with severe depression and there it took me too long to figure out that there was literally nothing I could do to get them out of a bad spell. I would have to physically get out of the apartment for my own mental health + wellness.

You can't save some people from drowning, and it's not worth tying yourself to them and drowning with them. I wish I had more cheerful advice. You sound like a nice guy OP, I hope your friend takes your advice/help and you both find better jobs + greater happiness, but at the end of the day, you are each your own man and are the only one who can control your career or life.
Thread posts: 2
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.