[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anons, I've been insecure about my intelligence for a long

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2254.jpg (167KB, 728x1484px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2254.jpg
167KB, 728x1484px
Anons, I've been insecure about my intelligence for a long time now. I took all honors classes in high school and graduated 15 out of 327, but obviously grades aren't a real indicator of intelligence. I've always felt I was dumber than I was made out to be.

I'm kind of afraid to see what I would get on a real IQ test, but I'm wondering if I should take one. After all, this is the main source of worry in my life.
>>
You're worrying about something that isn't much of a big deal, unless you're just after getting 1st in class.
>>
>>18450651
It is a big deal because I constantly feel like an idiot because of the things I do, yet I aspire to be a nuclear engineer. I just want some way to know that's actually possible
>>
>>18450676

How good are you at patterns and problem solving?
>>
>>18450683
I think I'm decent at those but I've never been properly tested for those skills, which is why I'm wondering if I should take a real iq test, not some shitty one online
>>
>>18450726
what results do the online ones spew?

also, do you have any idea why you tie your self worth so closely to your intelligence?
>>
>>18450732
The online scores I get can be anywhere from 105-140, so they're obviously not trustworthy.

My intelligence is tied to my self worth because grades were the only thing I could ever show for myself (never was good at sports, art, music, etc) and even my grades weren't always that impressive, leading me to think I'm worthless.
>>
>>18450744
yeah, i get the same, they are pretty much shit.
anyways, atleast they are in the normal range, so you're not a mongrel.

i get that, but why do you feel the need of having something to "show off" to be worth anything?
>>
>>18450749
I've never desired to have some ability just so I could show off. It's just that from an early age I felt I wasn't good at anything, and wanted to cling to something that I could say to myself "hey, i'm actually good at this"
>>
>>18450772
exactly what i thought.
so, do you have any idea why you felt like you weren't worth anything? because that's not something kids think just for shits and giggles.
>>
>>18450631
I think it's a severe case of impostor's syndrome.
>>
>>18450776
Because A.) I was the weird kid all the way from K-8 and B.) I was never as good as anyone else in anything I did
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome
>>
>>18450786
what made you weird?
what were those things that they were better at? what kept you from trying to improve instead of giving up?
>>
>>18450788
I'm aware of that syndrome's existence, but that doesn't disprove the concept of me having mediocre intelligence
>>
>>18450789
I don't know why I was "weird". Maybe it was the fact that I had shit social skills. Also I was comparitively bad at every sport I tried, so all the kids at my school had zero respect for me.

I also originally wasn't good at academics; I was pretty slow to memorize my times tables in 2nd grade and even once got a C in math, which is pretty shit for elementary school.
>>
>>18450800
No, I think you're underestimating the average person's stupidity.

The fact you're even speculating on your intelligence means you're not that fucking dumb, dumb people are oblivious.

But at the end fuck it if you're gonna be self pitying then go for it
>>
>>18450814
Once, in my geometry class, I was called up to the board. Part of the problem required multiplying 24 and 3, which my teacher asked me to do. I couldn't.

Keep in mind this was 9th grade. I guess out of sheer nervousness or stupidity, or both, I completely embarrassed myself in front of my classmates. It's these kinds of mistakes that really make me think I'm stupid and not others.
>>
>>18450812
what exactly makes you think you had shit social skills?

also, do you think those kids were just good at those sports out of nowwhere? have you ever considered that they might have had a dad who trained with them?

same for the academic accomplishements. kids are usually not just born knowing everything. they might be good at learning new stuff fast, but that is an aquired skill. it depends on your parents mindset. either they are of the sort who thinks "talent exists", so if you try something and don't immediately suceed at it, they conclude that this is just not "your thing" and let it rest at that. if your parents had the mindset that everything can be learned to some extend with dilligence and discipline, then their approach would have been to try to keep you going and try again and again untill you saw results. if you never learned how to learn a new skill, then it's easy to think you're just dumb and not worth anything. because you think that you were born with a preset set of skills and there's nothing you can do about that. that wouldn't have been an issue if you magically discovered your "talent", but since you didn't, you HAD to assume that you simply don't have any and rhus are worthles.
let me tell you a "secret"; talent is MOSTLY a myth. everybody that's good at something has most likely invested a hood deal of time and energy into it. it just doesn't seem like it, especially when you're a kid.
see, i have a son myself. and he's about to start first grade. he' already very good at mathematics, but that's not because he's gifted or some shit. it's because whenever he showed interest, i took the time to explain stuff to him. he's not as good at sports as other kids, not because he's not a "talent" there, but because i just can't really be bothered to go and play some football with him. see how that plays out? parents basically form their kids "talents". so stop assuming you can't develope any skill you could want.
>>
>>18450835
I'm just guessing that because that's the first thing I can think of that would have caused my classmates to look down on me.

And at the time when I first tried out sports, I did initially think for some reason I couldn't improve. I know that this isn't true now, but that's not the point. We are on the topic of intelligence, which is inherent by definition and likely unchangeable. The question is whether I should take an iq test and risk receiving heartbreaking results or just keep my uncertainty about my intelligence.
>>
>>18450858
intelligence is not 100% set. you can definitely improve it. and it's not like only stuff like learning new mathematical skills will help with that. learning a new sport, for example, helps too. it trains your ability to link thoughts and recognize patterns. everything you master brings you some new iq points aince it will gives you a whole new level of perspectives, which in turn would be beneficial when taking iq tests.

i'd say, take one and let reality hit you.
>>
>>18450827
You just felt insecure, it happens to everyone.

>>18450858
Well go ahead, take your IQ test, by the way you're writing I don't think a good result is gonna change the way you think.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.