[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have poor memory retention and this is effecting my ability

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: age_bg_tpp.jpg (277KB, 1400x764px) Image search: [Google]
age_bg_tpp.jpg
277KB, 1400x764px
I have poor memory retention and this is effecting my ability to have meaningful conversations with people.

I read a lot but somehow manager to retain very less. 4-5 months ago I read through the entire GOT series but I barely remember anything now. Some of my friends brought GOT in the discussion but I wasn't able to contribute anything to the conversation since I couldn't remember a lot of details.

Did somebody else experience this too? I have depression and anxiety so I was wondering if the two are related.
>>
>>18445193
there's a big difference between "reading" something and truly experiencing a book.
>>
>>18445193
When I was psychologically unwell, I read entire books and didn't remember a damned thing. My grandmother experiences the same thing. She thinks it's senility, but I know it's because she's stressed and depressed all the time.

I would always be able to have conversations with people, but that was probably because I was so excited to take a break from my isolation. Anyway, they say that poor attention and memory is another sign of issues like fucked up sleep, malnutrition, depression, lack of exercise

MGSV could have been good, but Konami was in the process of falling apart and they put no-fail and regenerating health shit in the game.
>>
>>18445208

How did you become psychologically well though?

I think I loved MGS V even though it was unfinished. Granted, the open world was empty and shitty but the sandboxes were really well made.

>>18445203

I can watch youtube videos too and not remember a thing,
>>
>>18445217
hmm well I don't want to keep criticizing a game you really like

>how did you get psychologically well
I'm still not, but I'm probably at the point I can carry a decent conversation and remember what I read in a book. It all just feels like a forced effort though, like I'm running on fumes.

It's been four years since I was in that state. In that state I did certain things to get by like going for walks, exercising on the treadmill (this is good because you can't get lazy or you fall off), and buying some pretty cool casual fashions (this was pretty cheap because I was only 18 at the time). I'm also in this perpetual search for sex, which kind of works like the carrot on a stick.

I got a lot of counseling. I needed to come out of my head and face reality (my family was piss, my girlfriends were crooked as hell, I was in existential danger, the character I was talking to in my head was not a good thing)...so then I developed a lot of panic and shit. They started giving me meds to fall asleep on time and not kill myself.

I needed a lot of good counseling, and to be in a place with a good economy, so I moved. I moved somewhere that the public funding is really fantastic (this means good mental health services), males are more in demand for dating, and the economy is such that entry level or at least temp work exists.

I can't really tell you what would put the fumes back in my tank, let alone yours. Living in a tiny fantasy world was one thing, and struggling to make it in the real world is another. I haven't gotten out of the tunnel yet.
>>
>>18445253
>fumes back in my tank
haha I meant to write fuel
>>
>>18445253
>I moved somewhere that the public funding is really fantastic

What happened in counselling. Also if you don't mind me asking where did you move
>>
>>18445267
somewhere in New Jersey where the people are wealthy and the economy is good. I don't want to give my identity away. They say that you have to make 30k to survive in the cheapest places, but I don't know why they say that. You can easily get by with 12k in many suburban/urban places. Maybe 15k if you insist on good nutrition.

>what happened in counseling
I met a lot of useless people and quacks, but stayed persistent and then formed a few bonds with people who were really able to help me.

The counselors who were quality and really care about me probably saved my life, because I was not stagnant I was going downhill quickly.

I even got a tattoo to symbolize what one of them taught me, but I got it impulsively so the quality is shit and I have to remove it.

whether it's a tattoo shop or a mental health clinic, you need to insist on going to the highest quality one you can afford, and shopping around so to speak.

we need social connection, direction, and someone who cares about us. in states of bad mental health, its hard to get that on our own.

It's not really our fault either. American society is super busy, competitive, paranoid and irrational. It's no surprise that someone in a state of poor mental health would have trouble getting on with life and meeting people.

If you look at communities that pride themselves on...community...and righteousness, you see that they offer a lot of social supports for people who are sick to lean on, usually for free.

In mainstream culture this sort of thing has become bureaucratic, economized and mixed up with the justice system, so you're going to have to do backflips to find quality support. It's what all humans who are going through a tough time need, though, so you're going to have to be pretty discerning and persistent kind of like a solider.
>>
keep a diary, in which you could look up and remember stuff. But not a literal diary, more like "tabs" on books, tv shows etc. I'm a guy that once he remembers a small detail, everything else just comes back too.
>>
>>18445193
Take this from a mother of three (little kids).
Sleep.
Sleep good and enough, sleep every day at night from 10 pm to 6-7 am and see how fucking good your memory gets.
>>
>>18445193
memory is just us remembering the last time we thought about the thing we are remembering. if you dont think about something often enough, it gets deleted so to speak. and even if we do remember it, we are likely t remembering it correctly. this happens with things like movie plots, books, conversations, etc. it's normal. i cant even remember high school but i'm acing my college courses. we tend to forget the things we dont care about or use.
>>
>>18445944
INCORRECTLY. sorry for the misspell
>>
Poor memory is a very common symptom of depression OP. Maybe you forgot.
>>
>>18445959

How do I overcome depression. Can I pop some over the counter pills? Please respond.
>>
>>18445984
dont go the pill route. taking care of your physical health is the first step. eat right, sleep well, exercise, get off the internet etc. get some sun.
>>
>>18445990
If I move my arms and legs and get some Vitamin D that will do away my depression? I don't buy it
>>
>>18446007
obviously not dipshit. most people are depressed because they have no fucking lives and eat shitty ramen and twinkies that make them sick. their hormones get fucked, their brain chemistry gets fucked, they get depressed and get on 4chan and dont leave their smartphones or computers and get no exercise which makes them more sick. unless fixing your lifestyle doesnt work, you need pills but the first thing doctors look at when you say your depressed us your lifestyle.
>>
>>18446024
I do work 9-5 at one of the most famous companies in the world. Here is the problem though: I moved countries to work this job and don't have any friends here so I sit on 4chan all day. I guess you are right. I need to start exercising. Thanks.
>>
>>18446036
brag fag puts a feather in his hat and calls it macaroni.
>>
>>18446055
I don't mean to brag man. But most people with depression are NEETs with no jobs. If it came off as bragging then please forgive me.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.