[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be 20 >college dropout because wasn't learning anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1486519870626.gif (647KB, 480x360px)
1486519870626.gif
647KB, 480x360px
>be 20
>college dropout because wasn't learning anything and had shit teachers who wouldn't help me understand
>got a shitty restaurant job
>heavily considering joining the military to at least get a decent reset button for myself
So, what should I do?

On one hand, I could stick it here for 3 years and hope to get a promotion/raise, OR I can just take the much quicker route after training my body for another year and go military. Maybe even go back to school after saving enough money to take an officer's class and get a better start from there.

Coast Guard/Air Force/Navy seem like ideal places for me to start, but I'd like to hear from you guys on if joining military is a good idea or not. Especially if at least a few of you had experience in the services.

>inb4 knowledge is powder, u got to go trades, bro
>inb4 lmao take a STEM and go bacc 2 skewl bruh
Not options at this moment, but thanks for trying.
>>
Air force
Study hard for the ASVAB, secure a good technical job (cyber security/comms etc)
>>
>>18440646
I dont know why people think joining the millitary is basically the nights watch, it really isn't. But that will be the general opinion on 4chan, your joining to die etc etc. I did the same thing as you i left my engineering program because i was taking out too many loans and i was miserable. Joined the infantry after that and havent looked back since. I joined when i was 19 and im 20 now and I am having a blast. You will make bonds with people for the rest of your life and when the job gets shitty,because it does sometimes im not going to lie, you can atleast justify it with a sense of pride in what you are doing. Will this be a lifelong career for me? Maybe, probably not my body might break before then. But atleast i get the experience and the financial support from the service when i decide to finish. It's really not as bad as people make it out to be, and this is coming from someone in one of the harder positions. The branches your looking at sound like a great option for a reset, i can almost guarantee you won't look back.
>>
>>18441760
FINALLY, SOMEONE FROM THE MILITARY WITH INPUT!
Thank you, I was deeply wondering if this would be the choice for me. I'd like to ask what branch you're in, because you sound like it's been a hell of a breeze.
I dunno about you, but I'm a man who could take a LOT of shit before falling down. I just need to physically train as hard as I can for the next year or so, that way my body will be even more impervious. I can deal with a lot of shit if it means I get not only an amazing cover letter and pay...but also respect for serving my motherland and getting lifelong friends.

My job sucks so hard, it's as if I actually died internally and I need to replace my dead self for something new. Needless to say...Military was pretty obviously a good choice in my options as there are a lot of VERY good, but very bad things I've heard on it. I will stay in for at least 4 years so I can be rebirthed into someone much better than how I am currently. I don't ever want to work in the kitchen again, and it would be my dream to get the fuck out and not look back.

Anyway, people think it's that way because of not only Vietnam, but also Pearl Harbor, and the ongoing Iraq/Iran/Afghan wars. Especially shit going with Korea, as my cousin just came back from there, in worse shape than when he went in. I couldn't care less, though. I just wish to get my life in order so I can be the man I was always intended to be.
>>
I was in a similar position to you, tried to join the Navy but got rejected for medical reasons, that sucked. Ended up getting a job as an EMT, saved up a lot of money by living at home and now I'm finishing my bachelor's. So yeah I wish I had gone into the military, but it's not the only option to reset button your life.

Btw if I was trying to get in now I'd have gone for the coast guard. They're the only branch that genuinely defends America and helps the American people.
>>
>>18440646
>blames the teachers for you not learning anything
you're just not college material my guy, you need to be able to learn on your own.
Join the air force or air national guard for a bright future
You seem more like marine material though.
>>
>>18441824
Im in the infrantry branch of the army, and honestly the training sucked for me alot because I didn't prepare for it other than playing hockey, so you will definitely have it easier than me if you are planning to train more haha. And you definitely sound like you have the right attitude and you could get alot out of your service. When people say you are broken down in basic it is true because it is hard, but once you get passed that barrior and build yourself into what they aim for and come to terms with the fact that the instructors who are giving you shit were in your position once are just trying to motivate you, it flies by. You will succeed in the millitary if you show you are trying. It takes a while to get your performance up, but if you try your best they will notice that. My only advice is if you were looking for a longer term of service or to get some practical skills would be try to go through the coast gaurd or airforce. My only real skill i have right now is rifle maintenance lol
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.